What is roleplay?

Hello :slight_smile:

I have recently returned to World of Warcraft after about a year after first playing the game properly. (I played briefly in 2015 but lost interest pretty quickly).

I have not bought shadowlands and am enjoying BFA content for the time being. Well, today’s task was levelling up my leatherworking. There I am, sat peacefully in Dazar’alor, minding my own business when I read the words “ERP scandal”, in trade chat.

Now, I had no idea what this term meant, so I asked and got a mixed reaction array of responses including, “Your an ERP scandal.”, spelt incorrectly to further my amusement.
So, I decided to use Google and I am now aware of what “roleplay” is in WoW.

Curious, I ventured to /2 again and ask about where I could find people roleplaying to see what it is all about. I was directed to Silvermoon but found nothing going on there.

Where can I find roleplay on Azeroth? I’ve been playing on this realm now for about three weeks and haven’t seen any roleplay going on. Will I need to purchase Shadowlands (which isn’t something I particularly want to do at the moment) to access the new areas where people are roleplaying?

Help would be appreciated, thanks!

Most Horde RP is in guilds and the likes, with some in the cities I think? Though if you read a few threads, most Horde random RP died off due to scandals. You don’t need shadowlands for the rp! Try looking through some threads here and see what’s going on.

To sit in and have a listen maybe a bit of a chat yourself can recommend just dropping into the Valley like around this time of the evening (8 pm RT) and you may find a few people that you can just sit back and watch or even get yourself involved with.

Roleplay itself is pretty easy to find if you look for it. However, not so much on Horde but it’s starting to regain traction on Horde and attention from people. Some people I know from like eight years ago are playing Horde with their new group of friends again and doing their own RP and stuff. Which is really nice to see. So it goes to show people are coming back for Horde RP and I can honestly say Horde RP has so many interesting dynamics from your pompous Elves, Greedy Gobbos, Peaceful Tauren or your average Warsong Hothead Orc Warrior in pursuit of Honor and Glory so that he can praise his ancestors. ( I know I skipped the Forsaken and Troll boys, I’m sorry.)

But, if you’re looking for less meaningful storyline / interactions you can always go to Stormwind I highly recommend maybe looking at other threads for that. A lot of groups are welcoming of new roleplayers and so are we the Community. So jump in and see where you find yourself! Best of luck on your adventures!

ERP is inappropriate “adult” themed roleplay, which is inappropriate on a game like WoW, there are games out there that have an 18+ setting Im sure, roleplay is where you basically pretend to be your character, a tauren druid who lives in azeroth, with his own past and his own future wants/aims, his own current issues in the world steeped in the setting/lore, not the game mechanics such as pve/pvp, like larping but on a video game instead of irl.

Stormwind is a good place to see what’s what when it comes to roleplaying. My chief suggestion would be to download the Total Roleplay 3 addon - it’s what nearly every roleplayer uses to exchange useful information to one another about their character. If you clicked on another person you’d see their full name, character age, etc.

Also, a lot of people are very stringent about what’s called “In Character” (IC) and “Out of Character” (OOC). Being IC means you are playing the role of your character rather than you the player, so you only talk about things your character might know. For example: Sathrynn knows a lot about Blood Elf society and magic, but she knows diddly-toot about Stormwind’s grain laws or how its armies work. Walking up to two people who are in character roleplaying and asking them something OOC like what the weather’s like in Turku or why Valencians are really particular about paella would be ignored. It’s like playing Dungeons and Dragons but with an emphasis on creative writing and getting into the mindset of your character rather than you the player, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Another chime in I can suggest reading through one of the pinned posts that we have it may be a little outdated but core bits and pieces are the same;

Interactive, cooperative writing, basically. This guide explains it rather well:

8 Likes

Hi all. Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I had a little scope around the Valley in Orgimmar and did find and engage in what I think was roleplay, although I feel a bit out of my depth haha.

I then switched over and had a look around Stormwind, and sort of wish I hadn’t.
After watching a worgen death knight female dive into the canal in full plate armour to escape a dwarf??? I’ve decided I might try and explore Horde a bit more. It’s just a shame that there seems to be less population over on horde.

6 Likes

This will lessen in time as you venture more and more. Feel free to interact with my group if you’re about though we’re pretty busy IRL most days so we’re more semi-active than your everyday group. But maybe you’ll find a group suiting of yourself I can strongly recommend for Tauren RP and maybe helping learn you the Aparoshe Stampede are good. They might be able to give you more interaction and training on your Tauren. :slight_smile:

Edit; Link for them can be found here [PCU] [H-RP] The Aparoshe Stampede: United Tauren MIGHT! [Recruiting!]

Stormwind might be a good place to find a wide-range of role-play. If you want to go there, give it a look and make up your mind about it!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.