Whats up with tanks?

It is a great typo. I wasn’t intending to sound mocking in any way because I love a great typo.
Typos are what keeps language fresh :star_struck:

1 Like

Now all I need for DBM to make a quacking sound whenever quaking is happening.

3 Likes

Then get chased by PewDiePie he loves duck’s I’m sorry I had to contribute to the joke.I will show myself out don’t worry,:neutral_face:

1 Like

tanks are very fun to play actually the problem with the tank shortage is the fact that they’re spread over 9310590135901359013513 instances because of m+ and 3 raid difficulties (not counting LFR, but may as well do) I don’t remember waiting 3195139531 hrs for a tank when I had to do my daily hc in WoTLK it was almost instant queue (DK being a new class helped too I guess, but still) or even in WoD - it all started in Legion because they didn’t have much to do before other than that and a few raids nowadays they’re, as I said - spread in a thousand different instances so it seems like they don’t exist but they’re there just doing the simple 20minute repeatable mobile game-esque content that is m+ mostly

You don’t see raid groups and Guilds looking for tanks, it’s just pugs who are short. I’m not a huge fan of dungeons and raids and don’t enjoy being the noob tank in a pug getting comments about not knowing the way, pulling the wrong group of mobs or not knowing the mechanics off-by-heart. I’m learning how to play Ret so I can do the dungeons and raids for the storylines (and also for PvP).

This is a good example of a Catch 22. Pug groups want tanks, but most pug groups don’t want a noob tank - so no-one learns to tank dungeons / raids in pugs. They learn in Guilds / groups of pals, so skip pugs completely.

Edit: perhaps we need a separate noob tank pug queue, where the tank can kick players on his / her own. DPS get shorter queue times but have to be supportive.

2 Likes

I said it once in an older thread tanks need to be restored back to being better than the dps in some sort of way. It is without any doubt that in the current landscape of m+ tanks are the ones shouldering all the responsability in contrast in raids i feel like tanks are really not that much under the spotlight,usually if you die it’s more of a chance the healers couldn’t keep you up.

Blizzards has to either increase the dmg of the tanks so when you tank aoe packs(5+ targets) only select dps ( ret/elem) should hold a candle to the dmg of ALL tanks in aoe. This way on bosses tanks have the same low-ish damage but on trash the more the tank can handle the more he can shine.

This or the other option of adding back self-healing and survivability to the tank where even if the 3 monkeys die you should be able to stay alive and clear dps ,slower and this makes it so you can’t finish the timer either way so the change this does is that this shoulders the responsability on the DPS to not be bad if they want to time it.

Besides that always in instanced content(heroic/lfr) give lead only to tanks and posibility to instant kick whoever they want (big cd) no votes required. Shift the power to the leader ,the responsabilities are already there.

Tanking in BFA feels like receiving an promotion but no salary compensation for the added responsabilities.

4 Likes

I do think there are some really cool opportunities to bring in some awesome healer/tank specs for classes now.

Shaman Tank
Warlock Tank or healer perhaps

Tanking itself is fun imo it’s just a shame that some people don’t understand that they can be the issue and it’s not always the healer or tank.

Or maybe it’s just me XD ‘ooo lava…I wonder…’

When I first started this post, I didn’t expect such lively discussion. But, it has made me think, and conclude the following:

Ok, there could be one or two situations, maybe one boss, in one dungeon, where “kiting” is part of the requirement.

Just like DPS situation, where in rare cases, very rare, if you don’t stop DPS, you will blow yourself up with some reflect mechanics.

But, can you imagine how displeasing it would be if STOPPING to dps and running away, literally RUN away kiting, not just move out of something, was required as often as it is for tanks? Even, then it wouldn’t be as bad, because running away is antithetical to tanking. It should be a rare event IF a healer dies or something.

But affixes, mechanics that literally requires tanks to run need to go!

1 Like

As someone who has almost exclusivly tanked for the last 3 expansions i think its not so much a shortage of tanks as it is a tanks refusing to pug issue. Why put up with the randomness of pugs? Which can fluctuate between the absolute worst the community has to offer to players that would fit in with Method when you can have a guildgroup or group of regular friends u can play with.

4 Likes

i just joined a m+2 group with totally overgeared people. they havent managed to pull 10k but were at 6-7-8k. had no clue what to do at bosses, havent used a singled interrupt once. i simply left after whiping for the third time. this is the issue at the moment with bfa, everyone gets good gear be it noob or pro.

There are tanks but mostly for private groups not pugs.

2 Likes

Did you talk to them or was you the person that left without trying to explain to them at all what happened?
Most of the time they are just not aware of the mechanic.

1 Like

I agree, you can use “gear level” for any metric related to skill. I have burned, by now, too many times ignoring RIO and my gut feeling, for that pristinely geared DH.

I have perpetually thought about tanking lately, but I admit it, I am a “fair weather” tank, and will only bother when it is fun to do so. I have thought, if I take the plunge, i will need to find a community.

Being dependant on dummies? No ty.

I don’t agree. Tanks have several duties but holding aggro and tanking/mitigating are the most obvious. If you choose to pull multiple packs knowing full well you have no chance of mitigating all their damage then you make a smart move by kiting. Also, kiting is a skill that cannot be performed by a lone tank. The entire group aids the tank in certain ways to allow packs to be kited for the duration required to kill them.

I have just tanker LFR this morning. We wiped once. A hunter blurted out instantly: “what’s fudging up, healers or tanks???”.

This was on the interruptible, stunable trash just before 3rd boss.

1 Like

The sad thing is, I was a tank in another MMORPG i used to play. It was my favorite role.

In wow, I’m not touching that role. No thanks.

1 Like

Now, you have to kite, EVEN if you don’t pull more than one pack!

I am not talking about “pro tactics,” pulling half the instance.

And, I am not talking about an affix which requires you pull the mobs out of the puddles.

I am talking about having to run, because you can’t “tank” a trash pack straight up.

Yep,
That’s why I don’t do M+, Even with guildies.

Oh you sweet summer’s child. Sometimes the trash IS the boss. And sometimes you need to kite and CC. If anything, they should make tanking more challenging, require more skill usage and such.

But they’ve tried that approach, funnily enough when the dungeon gets harder, the blame game intensifies.

1 Like

I think a part of the problem is the tankclasses beeing booring .
BM monk and DH has some cool spells, but the rest of them just makes me feel like a turnip taking a beating.
Its all about positioning theese days. I wish they brought more fun mechanics to the table.

1 Like

Tbh, it would be refreshing with a new class with TWO tank-speccs and one DPS
Preferable 3 tankspeccs, but people would rage over not being avle to dPs

With one tankspecc being the most easy ingame and playing AS a DPs