Where do I start?

I have been playing WoW now for 10 years or so but have only ever played on either pve or pvp realms. After having started reading the Before the Storm book I quite liked the idea of immersing myself in the game lore a little more in depth as I feel I may have missed out on a lot of things.

I’m not sure where to get started or what realm would be best for me, I know some people take this topic very seriously and I wouldn’t want to just go into a server and start talking out of character and ruining it or annoying them.

Also are there any addons that RP players use to flesh out their character a little more?

At the moment i’m still struggling to come up with a class and role to play as I don’t know much about the lore.

Any help would be great and thank you in advance for any responses that are given.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile: This is a long post.
I can only speak for Argent Dawn which is by far the most populated server RP wise, there is a guide posted there with basic RP information (see below). On that realm Alliance is the biggest faction, not to say Horde don’t have RP as well because they do, they are just smaller. Human is always a safe bet but I’d say you can find RP as any race, for class, maybe don’t start with one of the “harder” ones like DK or DH that are pretty niche compared to others, this could include Void elves as well.
Argent Archives is a website with information about events and guilds for Argent Dawn, and you log in by creating a page for your character.

A general rule is that “/say” is IC (In character), the Trade chat is more or less the same wherever you go, and if you take Stormwind as an example there are areas (e.g. Trade district) that most ppl are OOC (out of character) but Cathedral Square is an area where more people are IC, so there’s a mix and you will see the difference.

A popular addon is TRP3 (Total Roleplay 3), in which you can add information about your character like birthplace, a background, height, eyecolor, etc. and something called “glances” which are a perfect way to let people know these first things they might notice when looking at your character. Look at others to get some tips on what to put in there :slight_smile:

If you join AD (Argent Dawn), keep away from Goldshire.

Check out wowpedia to get a basic grasp of the lore, (it’s more updated than wowwiki)

Look around for what different kinds of guilds there are and what type you should want to join (if any), either on the forum or AA (Argent Archives)

Throw yourself out there, say hi, most people are nice and helpful :blush:

5 Likes

I must start by stating that I have never played on Argent Dawn, so I can’t shed any light on that.

I have all 40-something of myvroleplaying characters on the connected RP realms Moonglade / The Sha’tar / Steamwheedle Cartel.

These realms combined have less players than Argent Dawn, so if you want constant abundant roleplay, don’t come here :slight_smile:

However, some of the players here have transfered from Argent Dawn because Argent Dawn was a bit… much.

If you get a character on Sha’glade Cartel / SMT in an active guild, I’m sure you’ll have all the roleplay you want; but also (and more importantly) generally nice people who will help you out as a beginner :slight_smile:

Outside of guilds, you can type /join LookingForRP in your chat window to join a chat channel called LookingForRP (on Sha’glade Cartel, I’m not sure this exists on other realms). Here you can press Shift and O simultaneously to see who’s in the channel, and start chatting or asking questions:)

Then there’s the BattleTag LookingForRP

(which Blizzard won’t let me link from my phone, because everyone knows Blizzard doesn’t like phones, and why would they want a Blizzard link in the official Blizzard forum…)

which works regardless of character, faction and realm, letting BattleTags chat either in-game or in the Social tab of the Battlenet desktop app.

Oh, and for a beginner, I’d recommend MyRolePlay (MRP) instead of TRP. MRP is much simpler and easier to use.

I believe both add-ons are available for download on CurseForge, whichever you choose.

(You can download both and try them out, but I don’t think it’s possible to run both simultaneously.)

I think you’ll see my point about MRP - unless you want the abundance of options and details that TRP3 offers; which is fine, the important thing is…

If you want to roleplay, give it a try :slight_smile:

If you want to do it on SMT; welcome!

And if you don’t choose SMT, that’s fine, too. The (other) important thing isn’t where you roleplay, but that your roleplaying entertains you :slight_smile:

Last tip for now: Don’t transfer all your 48 characters at once :slight_smile: Start with one, on the realm you want to try, and see how you like it :wink:

2 Likes

The advice you’ve been given here is pretty solid. As yet another Argent Dawn Rp’er, all I’ll do is echo a few points I agree with pretty strongly-

• Check out “Argent Archives” (easily findable with a quick Google search). It’s a great resource, and might inspire you.

• I would support avoiding playing a DK or DH if you’re getting started. There is a certain stigma associated with them and they can be very hard to Rp well.

• /say and /yell tend to be in-character, but don’t overuse /yell as that can be heard for miles. /e lets you write out your own emotes, if you didn’t know that was a thing.

• Go for MRP instead of TRP. The two actually have some overlap and users of one can view the profile of the other. But MRP is less… Overwhelming. Hell, I’ve Rp’d on WoW for 13+ years and I still use MRP over TRP (but I’m stubborn.)

• Try before you buy. Maybe make a low level alt on an Rp server and scope it out? It’s natural to be nervous, but there’s no shame in opening with a /whisper explaining that you’re new to roleplay, and could you please join in a group? Most people will be more than happy to help you ease into it.

As for lore… I have lost HOURS of my life on WoWpedia and WoWWiki reading page after page of lore. And then “Oh, that link looks interesting” or “Wait, I don’t get that phrase… Now I have to look THAT up to understand THIS.” Safe to say, most of it is not essential, but it can help.

Regardless… Try it out! I hope you have fun and hope we can Rp one day. Best of luck buddy!

3 Likes

Thankyou to all who responded I am definatley thinking Argent Dawn for now unless it is too much then will definatley consider The Sha’tar. I will be making a new character to play on the rp sever for now :slight_smile: I was thinking about not going human just because it seems very generic so maybe dwarf or a night elf, it is something i really want to throw myself at so i wanna kinda get it right. Do you have the opportunity as an RP’er to do the raids and do they play into the RP of the game?

The Night elven community has bloomed this expansion from what I can see so I guess now is a good timing to start one :slight_smile:
That ofc depends, it’s up to the individual how much time you want to spend on each aspect of the game

Raids, dungeons, and some other game content is best left to some non-player character in RP (in my opinion, and I get the impression that most RPers’ feel the same).

Some might work, if you go about it creatively.
No RPer should be the one who killed Illidan, or Arthas, or Deathwing.
You might have helped, but remember, most raids are “history” once the storyline is known.

By creatively, I mean; maybe you are part of a task force sent to investigate… umm, dark magic residue or something, in an area where mighty heroes previously defeated a powerful enemy…

Your character does not strike down the world soul of Argus, but perhaps you and some other brave Horde/Alliance members were sent to collect some mysterious samples of something, or study some demonic/undead creatures somewhere.

I’m sure some guild leaders / event managers create very exciting stories for players/guildies to parttake in.

I’m not saying don’t do the raids, but do them outside of RP, or at least change it in RP so it becomes plausible :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.