Why can't we have moderate storylines anymore?

The all wise creator, dominator heaven god can’t function anymore and as a super akuma/superman/siperman of me is going to fix this and ascend to the next godhood. Come on. Will they send mobs kill me at the next expansion as an uber god?

I feel disconnected from the expansion at the beginnning. Nice job.

10 Likes

Yeah, if I was my character, I would be completely stressed out by now.

2 Likes

Honestly i just make up my own story at this point. My monk is a drunk orc who keeps wandering around the world picking up new tricks. And he will end up in the nightfae area so he can learn the cycle of drunk and sober.

My goblin shaman invents things to control the elements and is just out to tinker and make cool inventions. I like to think he made his necklace better by strapping dynamite to it. And he will go to the kyrian area to learn god tier robotics and add a lttle bit of goblin shenanigans into it

4 Likes

I requested a refund. I don’t see myself playing these over the top themes anymore. Good luck you all!

2 Likes

How compelling do you think wow’s storyline would be if the premise was literally the same “humble beginnings” stuff from classic every expo thereafter?

“Hi there, you’re level 120, you look kinda ready to tackle dire wolves now, feel up to it?”

Yeah, I appreciate it’s down to personal tastes but I actually like an RPG with a wide cosmology I get to explore firsthand and have a dabble in, even if the “CHAMPYUN” stuff is a bit annoying. I’d rather that than just endlessly being treated like a nobody adventurer forever more or where the height of threats is a constantly recycled formula of “big dragons” and “some undead baron” but never seems to escalate beyond that.

Fact is unless my character “is special” there’s no good reason i’d be able to explore Shadowlands. It’s not a location bob the footman can just walk into. That’s kinda key to the whole thing here.

Like mr drunk orc monk earlier, I just choose to ignore the high and mighty stuff personally being applied. So my char is whatever they are, making do with these situations however they are. I don’t view them as the Destined Hero or whatever. They just end up in these situations through a bit of luck and coincidence and by being that bit special, but not “god amongst men” special despite what the game tells me.

I mean it makes sense to view it this way anyway. If my character is really this champyun of azeroth etc, why on earth am I killing bears for gold? Yet here I am, doing odd jobs for anyone and everyone who offers me money for it. So I agree the tone of “CHAMPYUN” could be toned down a bit, but I don’t want that to mean i don’t get to explore these otherwordly dimensions or things or fight these wierd unique monsters. I prefer that infinitely more than “grimdark humble” RPG stuff anyday.

Yeah it depends on tastes that is why i asked a moderate approach. You would like to be an indispensible hero. It is ok. what if i don’t want to be? It is an mmo afterall not an rpg. Why force this on me with a specific story? I would rather have freedom in a cosmic environment(this is theme of expansion) rather than game telling me who i am.

3 Likes

Well, I like it. It’s more entertaining to me than killing boars in Goldshire like a peasant.

I actually agree with you there. I never said I like to be cosmic hero, I don’t like it. I do like the situations beyond the mundane though. It’s just if one is forced on me, I’d rather “pretend down” being a god when exploring such than “pretend up” and be forced to explore mundane environments, I hope that makes sense?

In an ideal would we’d be able to pick

Bye, then. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

can i haz your stuff

1 Like

I usually go with “Duty calls and I must answer. For Azeroth!”

1 Like

Can I have y…

Awww :wrench:U :unamused:
Always late :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I agree with this, actually.

I don’t want to be the chosen one, completing some giant destiny. It’s an MMO, so are my dungeon group ALL chosen ones? Are we a gaggle of chosens? I want to be a plucky adventurer, I don’t need a power fantasy, I’m pretty happy in life.

And it doesn’t have to be killing spiders in a sunny glade either. Just because someone doesn’t like the current scale of the story, doesn’t mean they want the furthest opposite example. I liked taking down the Lich King, but I wasn’t a chosen one then, I was someone recruited to join the fight.

I’m not far into SL at the moment but as soon as that obelisk reacted ONLY TO THIS CHAMPION, I rolled my eyes so far back I could see yesterday.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think players should be chosen ones in multi-player games. It works for single player, but this is an MMO. Be who you are, WoW. <3

7 Likes

but the feeling of your character being such a small cog in the giant living world of Azeroth was always the appeal to me.
what’s that? a bundle of furs need to be delivered to the next village ready for winter? you can’t do it so your relying on me? IM ON IT!

I always got a kick out of that kind of stuff.

But saving the universe? meh who cares.

2 Likes

I kind of miss the era of a more simplistic lore with the horde vs the alliance.

SL is the second expansion I feel disconnected from after MoP, none of the covenants speak to me so I’m gonna go Venthyr because it’s BiS but it makes no sense to me that I’m a shaman vampire whatever, it just sounds silly.

4 Likes

Meanwhile I don’t recall a time in WoW in which you were an actual “just another guy”. Even in Classic you are dealing with gods, demi gods, hell spawns, and so on. You were never “just a guy”.

Even the greatest of heroes have time for the everyday Joe.

The great thing about classic is just being an ordinary dude in the world, who occasionally sees extraordinary shiz.

1 Like

I dont mind that stuff, but it’s hard to imagine wow retaining appeal for me if my character never graduates beyond that. 16 years later and still being “just a Joe” seems off to me.

Not to say I like the whole godslayer thing, I just see it as preferable (moving from one to the other) as opposed to being stuck on the first.

By the end of classic we were humble adventurers turned Dragonslayers…at what point did it become too much? TBC had us fighting a demon lord. In wrath we fight an undead king, cata a literal dragon demigod figure.

I think as charming as it is if you stick to dragons as your “high apex” of believable stuff, you would very quickly run out of content or intrigue. It would be hard to pull off multiple expos with that premise without accusations of recycling.

1 Like

I mean, what did you expect?

The “adventurers” have been dealing with enormous threats since classic, did you seriously think they would not get some kind of recognition?

And that the scope of the game would remain the same?

If you want to talk about how the story is progressing and you don’t like it fine, but come on, it’s pretty obvious that the adventurers would get stronger overtime and get recognized as powerful.

And i mean, it was also pretty obvious that eventually we would have to face the full might of threats like the burning legion.

I too have some gripes with how they handled the story, especially how they rushed some things, but not with the increase in scope necessarily.

1 Like