Would you support 1v1?

I’m a big proponent of the idea of a 1v1 bracket that will not just be there alongside 3v3, but eventually replace it. PvP in WoW is pretty dead at this point, not just because most people have a preference for PvE, but because those playing PvP often have stable teams for 3v3, for instance. This creates a huge problem for everyone who does not necessarily have a big friend list and generally has a difficult time finding people of his experience and rating to play with.

There is almost no competition at the top, meaning the established players will always be on top because they have a monopoly on each other. In other words, they will play with one another because they know each other and are good, so someone who might be good but not know many people can have a hard time finding a proper team to push rating with. This is not an issue in games that have almost one game mode and millions of more active players than WoW. Whether it’s 5am or 5pm, people in such games can find a team at their own mmr to play and push with within minutes. In WoW, finding arena matches at decently high mmr let alone players anywhere before or after 6pm-12am is ridiculously hard. So, if you don’t already have a team around 6pm, you need to often spend hours finding it, and have almost no time to play. Often you also meet people who quit after 2-3 matches because they only want to play with their established circle.

This is why 1v1 is needed for WoW PvP to be revitalized. Potentially thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, will begin playing WoW again. Some of us love the game but especially the PvP aspect, and currently paying sub monthly for WoW when PvP is dead is just mostly not worth it. Having 1v1 arena means we only rely on ourselves and can play whenever we want and be able to compete, as opposed to relying on others in what is without doubt a dead realm (i.e. PvP in WoW).

Let’s suppose this happens:

• 1v1 arena is introducted.
  • Arena grounds get introduced for 1v1 (instead of 3v3 ones like Nagrand Arena).
  • All balancing in PvP happens for 1v1 instead of 3v3.
  • Gladiator and other titles are given for 1v1, or new titles come along solely for 1v1.

Would you support this? Why / why not?

2 Likes

No.

This game has never been balanced around 1v1 and never will be.

3 Likes

Sorry, but did you actually bother reading my suggestion?

I never said 1v1 should simply be added. Rather, it should be added with balancing FOR 1v1 happening, as opposed to balancing for 3v3. Of course 1v1 has not been balanced - duh? Blizzard never tried balancing for 1v1. What’s your point?

No.

I kind of feel as if dueling already exists for those who want their daily fix of 1v1.

And it seems inherently impossible to balance Healer vs. Dps. Either the Healer can do enough healing to nullify the dps, in which case he’ll always win. Or he doesn’t have enough healing, in which case he’ll always lose.

no, because it would require MASSIVE balance changes, and A LOT of reworks, butchering game further.

and even so, would probably fail to balance game properly.
big no.

You made the same thread 13 days ago same answers will be given.
And you might want to post in Arena/PvP forums not GD.

1 Like

It’s not about “getting our daily fix”, but about competing without relying on others and then quitting the game because we cba the nonsense of other people. WoW PvP is dead because it’s very hard to get into 3v3 and push rating. Not only because you need gear and all that, but because you need people. And WoW doesn’t have enough people for healthy, competitive 3v3.

Also about healers in 1v1: Make it dps-only bracket. Healers can go play 2v2 or change spec.

I would love it to be honest but sadly it will never happen.

1). You can’t secretly blame your teammate for the lost so there will be even more complaining about class imbalance.

2). You can break players mentally with trash talk, making it such a bad experience for them that they will start complaining to anyone that will listen.

So yeah 1v1 will never happen.

If people complain about a class in 1v1, they can easily reroll. Ultimately knowing YOU are the reason you fail is much easier to deal with than feeling your teammates are at fault. Alone the fact that if your teammates are in fact bad, what do you do? In current WoW situation, you need to spends hours, day by day by day, finding others. That’s why nobody even plays.

Unless you want WoW PvP to be buried entirely, admit it is pretty much dead at this point and help resurrect it by supporting 1v1. It needs to happen.

100% agree.

1 Like

Hell yeah, it doesnt have to be big either.
Keep 3v3 as the only gamemode where you can get mounts and titles and whatnot but allow us to earn the elite pvp gear sets from 1v1, like 2v2.

Some days you just don’t have anyone to play with, or simply want to only rely on yourself so its a win win.

Adding Gladiator achievements and permanent status symbols to 1v1 would be horrible since its less of an achievement to reach a higher rating 1v1 or 2v2 but it should definently reward the appereance and maybe even the enchant in my opinion

Just keep the titles and mounts to 3v3

I love 1v1 in wpvp, I don’t do rated, but like the idea of 1v1. They could just make the dueler’s guild queueable instead of shard based. And add more features to it. I like dueler’s guild, but it’s kinda dead. A 1v1 system like the dueler’s guild where imbalance is expected is fine by me.

Correction: This game has never been balanced and never will be.

The game is competetively much better suited for group v group imo, and balancing it would be a bit too much of a tightrope walk and would lead to classes being too restricted/boring.

If you want a good competitive 1v1 game, you should give SC2 a try, it’s free.

I totally disagree about keeping titles and stuff for 3v3 rather than changing it to 1v1. Why is getting a high rating in 1v1 less of an achievement than 3v3? 3v3 is not harder than 1v1. It just means you play with people instead of yourself only. That isn’t harder, it’s just different. For some people, 1v1 would be harder because they are not good at playing without the support of others.

I don’t want to play “any” 1v1 game just for the sake of 1v1, lol. I already am good at other 1v1 games, but WoW is my all-time favourite game in general. I just wish I could do PvP without relying on anybody else. Fight on my own. Climb in rank. Be top of the leaderboard. That’s what I want. Not this dead 3v3 nonsense.

Well, like I said, I don’t think the outcome would be all that good, with the style of gameplay that WoW has, it’s just gonna resemble a fighting game when completely balanced/reworked to 1v1 I feel.

I don’t like “relying” on others either, I don’t have regular partners and people in LFG are rubbish for the most part (attitude wise especially), so I do understand where you’re coming from to an extent, just don’t see it working out in a satisfactory manner.

You don’t need a rework. Just some balancing, and extra spells for PvP. WotlK/Cata etc. duels were very fun and often balanced.

This just really needs to happen.

Read Bukachu’s comment a bit further down. The game has never been nor will ever be balanced around 1v1. We’ve had 14 years of Blizzard fruitlessly trying to achieve class balance and have so far got nowhere near it what makes you think they’re suddenly going to achieve the miraculous now?

No they weren’t, we had just as many complaints about lack of 1v1 balance during TBC/Wrath/Cata as we do now.

Duels really were not that balanced in Wrath though, once you reached a certain point. More fun, more indepth, less foregone conclusion than they are right now, but not balanced, and they could never really be with the class design.

I’d rather they just went to tbc/wrath/cata/mop design and kept 3v3 as the go-to still.
MAYBE could make more of a case for 2v2 (still a stretch), but deffo not 1v1, just don’t see that, sorry.

Well, you see, i would love for Blizzard to make 1v1 a serious PvP format, just like 2v2, but the game is balanced around 3v3 because that is the least chaotic and most strategic at the same time multiplayer PvP mode in the game, and thats how it should remain.
3v3 requires teamwork, thinking outside the box with teamcop (provided nothing is drastically overpowered), coordinating cooldowns, thinking ahead.
1v1s are fun, require skill, but 3v3 should have exclusive rights to Glad mount & title because the effort it takes to play is 10x higher than just busting out a few duels