WoW is P2W - Do you agree?

And they do that for (or actually to) themselves. Other people do not give a damn. Outside of shaking their head for destroying his health. Those people win nothing.

2 Likes

I think that whenever I see people flexing their cool new mounts in Stormwind as well.

No one cares.

Yet people have flexed their mounts in Stormwind for 20 years.

Because we all like the idea that people do care. That people do think we’re awesome. That they’re a little bit jealous. That they’re envious of our mount or transmog.

That we’re special.

And Blizzard will help you become special in no time if you just head on over to the Online Store!

Just as the guy in the dark alley next to the gym will help you become attractive if you just…

2 Likes

Ha ha haaaaaa, they do care. The entire market of boosting services outright and explicitly both exists due to and relies on the current design of the game, where the crushingly vast majority of players will not be able to normally acquire any time-limited (or even not time-limited) rewards like curves and their associated titles and mounts to continue to be profitable, because it requires an exorbitant amount of their free time.

If suddently Blizzard said that from TWW onwards there would no longer exist Feat of Strengths and everything would remain available in the game forever until the servers close down, and that every super rare item/mount/title/achievement/etc. would become massively easier to acquire, 99% of the boosting service providers would outright quit the game.

1 Like

The people who buy the boosts care about their achievement. Nobody else does. The longer we talk about it the more sad it actually sounds to me.

2 Likes

The people who provide the boosting services care that the player you mention cannot achieve something without having to use their services. That’s why they exist!

1 Like

That is actually nonsense. In BFA i think there was a very big boosting community and they stated about 80% of the buyers of boost were just alts of boosters of the community itself. Boosting is just a fast progress (for when you do not have friends, i suppose). You win nothing. You are also not the first person achieving it. Nobody cares. You do it for yourself.

No.

3 Likes

It is sad.

WoW has whales that pour an ungodly amount of money into this game, no doubt about it.

And what are they actually getting for that money? A false sense of self-worth? Pride?

Log into Diablo Immortal and inspect players there. People are decked out in gear that you can only get by spending tens of thousands of euros. And it’s not an uncommon sight.

It is ruthless of Blizzard to prey on people’s human aspirations by selling them false dreams in their video games.

Yet they do it with incredible efficiency.

3 Likes

I do not know Diablo Immortal but i am obviously not disagreeing on that.

Diablo Immortal, from what I’ve seen in videos, is p2w.

WoW is pay-to-cosmetic.

2 Likes

No it isn’t.

It has elements and I don’t really care for your definition.

Nor do I really subscribe to the “win” thing. So you bought a boost for score or gear or whatever. You’re still garbage at the game (not you specifically, the ppl that buy boosts then flex the score as if they earned it).

In my book you only “win” when you meet your goal in the manner intended (your skill vs the challenge).

7 Likes

It depends on how you define “win”
To be able to win, there must be a possible of losing aswell. You dont lose anything if you wipe a raid boss or deplete a key, your gear isn’t taken away from you, nor is your xp or your titles or achievment points. The only way to actually lose in WoW, is in rated PvP where you actually lose rating. Spending money on gold and gold on boosts help you progress your gear and ratings, and might get you a few shinies aka cosmetics and achievments, but it doesn’t make you a better player. It doesn’t matter if you buy boosts to a full set of mythic raid gear, or 2800 arena rating, you will still wipe on raid mechanics and drop in ratings as soon as you are back in the driver seat, because you are somewhere you dont belong.
If you didn’t accomplish stuff by your own doing, did you really win anything? In my oppinion, No.
I dont think WoW is pay to win, but it deffinitly is pay to progress beyond your capabilities.

1 Like

You got to pay to play, with real money or gold.
So that would mean p2w, no pay no play. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t see WoW as a pay to win game.
Blizzard is NOT offering gear and titles on it’s cashshop.

If you want to argue that buying gametime tokens and selling these for gold and then using this gold for carries is P2W, sure a case for that can be made.
HOWEVER if that is considered P2W then the WoW-community made it P2W by offering carries.

1 Like

Nope wow is not p2w simple, the token can be used for boost yes, but there are way more people in this game that earns gold from farming, crafting, etc. Millions i say to u. Also a boost doesnt mean that u are going to be good in M+/raid/pvp i mean…

1 Like

WoW is not P2W , IMO.
Everything ingame is accessible for everyone.

The guys who buy tokens maybe gear up faster but what they win?
I dont think WoW is a race. Everyone plays in their pace.
Whats out there to win with boosts? You get an achievement a few days earlier? Or a mount?

P2W games are games like “Crossfire” shooter where you can be better than others if you pay, cuz the good weapons are not available to regular players through gameplay and farming. You only can buy the OP weapons with real money.

2 Likes

That answer is as dumb as a thumbnail. U can littarly make 100k in 5 min if u have the knowledge. Gold is easy to make, but u wanna know the truth? Most people are too lazy to put in the work simple.

This has got to be the most bad faith post I’ve seen for some time.

1: Make a statement in the title

2: Reframe that statement as a question

3: Remove all nuance from the topic making discussion impossible.

4: Agree vehemently with posters that side with your predisposition

5: Insult / call out people who don’t

What was the point of any of it?

11 Likes

yes it is, any online game where there is a competition aspect and RMT`s involved - is pay to win.
PVE - buy boost and you outperform 95% of player base who will never ever complete mythic difficulty
PVP - buy boost and you outperform 99% of player base who will never ever achieve high ranks/gladiator

heck, even our real life is pay2win =) Matrix…

4 Likes

And as we all know, the greatest feeling of accomplishment comes from buying boosting services for difficult content.
I’d argue that achievement is an internal experience, not an in-game feature you can link in the chat.
While you can’t do things truly on your own in an mmo, it is possible to do them without any leg-up, that’s where a feeling of accomplishment would come from, if that’s what you care about.
If you just want to have all the things, then boosting services are simply an extension of the in-game shop.
Which, I suppose, can be considered p2w if you believe that you are flexing on other people with items you bought boosts for, which assumes other people care about them because they can recognize such items.