Wow on MacOS Catalina

Hello there Naaren!

I know that this version might be released soon and we have been looking into various issues with it (you can check this thread on the Mac forum : https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/major-issues-with-macos-catalina-beta/). In general, we do not support beta versions - so it might be best to hold off with updates for now.
And keep an eye on that dedicated Mac forum https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/support/mac-technical-support for any updates :slight_smile:

Have seen reports on US forum that Catalina release is ok with WOW. Anyone else tested it yet before I risk updating? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updated to Catalina. WoW works ok but graphics gone a bit weird. Some colours washed out and all water is now black. Very odd

Running WoW on iMac 5k, 2017 i7

2 Likes

I’ve had two system crashes and several safari crashes. Performance is no better.
On my 2017 imac, it’s still horrible. It still throttles to 67 degrees when put under load. Made me think of switching to PC, but that is no better plus PC’s don’t have such nice screens.

So far so good, same fps, same temps.

Only thing is that the cursor is weirdly big and very ugly / pixelated. Prob due to the resolution scaling.

I have been playing classic for a while now on my Mac, at max settings, with 60FPS pretty much locked at all times.
With Catalina I have noticed massive FPS drops in all areas (to around 30-40FPS), it seems to happen when new content is being loaded, lasts for about a minute, and then goes back up to 60.
My Setup:

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • 16GB Ram
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15
  • Radeon VII GPU in a Razer Core X eGPU case, Thunderbolt 3
4 Likes

I play on Retail.

Pre-Catalina: For the past year playing at 30 fps, 1080p with majority of settings turned down.

After Catalina: 15-20 fps. At least 30% drop in performance.

Mac:

• 13’’ 2016 MBP
  • i5 2,9Ghz
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel’s integrated 550
  • macOS Catalina 10.15
5 Likes

The Battle*net launcher is completely broken for me. It refused to launch, so I re-downladed it, still no dice. Reverted to the previous version via time machine, still crashes out. Launching WoW direct does work however.

My wow keeps shutting down my computer when i press enter world after i installed macos catalina…

HI,
i,
Ive just installed Catalina and its actually cataclysmic in terms of running WOW…I’ve got this message…
" Some of your files had been in a location that is now incompatible with macOS security settings. These files were moved to the Security folder for your review.

If there are any files you want to keep, you can move them to a new location, as long as it is different from their location before the upgrade or migration."

and it includes all of the WOW installation files…so, HELP! what do i do now?

Looks like there are a lot of different issues going on here, so it would probably have been a good idea to separate those out into individual threads for ease of reading.

I’m going to try and give a few quick answers here for some things that have been mentioned so far (not all of them, due to not having answers for all just yet), but for all future visitors of this thread: if the problem is not already mentioned here, please do make a new thread. :slight_smile:

Poisednoise - sounds like you may still be using the 32bit-version of the battle.net app/installer. Catalina does not contain any support for 32bit environments (unlike Mojave and earlier versions did), so the only option here is to uninstall the battle.net application fully and grab the newest installer (which is a 64bit version) from the website. Please install the app with that, hopefully that should sort things out for you!

Cheesyheals - applications cannot actually shut down computers on their own, especially not under MacOS. This unfortunately rather sounds like a hardware-issue (could be overheating or something similar), and it would be a good idea to talk to an Apple technician about it.

Zavalaslost - that is a new one for me, but judging from the listed message I’d recommend a fresh installation of the game, in a folder that Catalina does not object to. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. I definitely had the most recent version of Battlenet, but nevertheless, I’ve deleted everything battlenet related from all folders (visible and hidden), restarted with nothing running, and reinstalled. It thinks it’s installed fine, but when it gets to the final stage of launching Battle*net it falls over.

When you say “falls over”, how do you mean. Do you get any error messages? Does it freeze the program or PC?

When you reinstalled did you use a brand new installer from the website?

Hi.
I have noticed, that after Catalina WoW stopped switching to dedicated GPU on my MacBook Pro (it runs on Intel 630 graphics and WoW runs pretty bad). After I go to System Settings > Energy Saver and switch off ‘Automated graphics switching’ system switches to Pro Vega 20 and WoW runs much better. Previously WoW was automatically switching to Pro Vega 20.

My Setup:

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • 32GB Ram
  • Intel 630 + on-board Pro Vega 20 graphics
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15
6 Likes

Pre Catalina, Wow worked absolutely fine for me on my Mac Pro - After Catalina - Graphics absolutely fine - but I spin round and round and takes ages for me to move anywhere.

Thoughts?

Thank you, i have the same problems and now it runs better :grinning:

Looks like every time there is a new system update WOW on mac is going backward and not forward :joy::rofl:

by the time they release the next update WOW wont even start at this point.

This solved the issue for me as well - switching to the discrete graphic card instead of the integrated one.

Several months later, I still haven’t upgraded to Catalina but I am getting to the point where I will be forced to do it soon, given I need to use other apps that require it.

Is WoW on it still the flaming mess it seems to be from the previous posts here?

We’ve actually not seen a lot of trouble with the final release (read: “non-beta”) version of Catalina in regards to WoW.

There have been of course a few issues cropping up specifically with older Macs that were below the official minimum requirements for the game, but sadly that can’t really be helped - a new OS generally also means it requires more system resources for itself than its predecessor did, meaning there is less left for a game to exist on. If the game requirements are however properly met there should not be any reason to not upgrade the OS. :slight_smile:

1 Like