WoW Source Code Turns One Million

SVN… Yikes

News nobody cares about. How about you show us these engineering skills on undead customisation options.

Shame on you for letting forsaken fans down . Very bad!

Congrats! Maybe the next million will be done with fixing some of the bugs people keep reporting for years.

99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs
take one down
patch it around
147 little bugs in the code!

Interesting they’re still using SVN, ooo the memories

if it works :woman_shrugging: it’s not like you are going to use all the benefits of git with a central upstream anyways?

If im not mistaken, everyone who’s used that phrase is dead.

1 Like

RIP engineering team

Comes a time when we all gotta die… even devs.
No dev breaks the code forever.

“works”

I still have nightmares of merging things in SVN.

I’m currently working with both because we have SVN on some legacy projects and git on new ones - I wouldn’t say SVN makes more problems than git conflicts. Both is pretty straight forward to resolve.

That’s a lot of commits… we’re currently on change request 620k or something, and most of them have multiple commits. But we’ve been going at it since 1994.

I know exactly what kind of insanely large code base you’re dealing with, and I really must commend it. It is not an easy task! Thank goodness I’m not managing ours… yet. I’m not ready! xD

Great now how about you pay your employees who made those changes Blizzard ? Read today about a Blizz employee who decided not to start a family with his new wife because they couldn’t afford to raise a kid on your salary. Another employee said she just lived on the free coffee as she couldn’t afford to eat in your cafeteria. Yet you announce billions in profits and pay Bobby 40 million.

1 Like

Thank you, WoW Engineers. Congratulations! This is a cool milestone and I’m glad it was shared with us. :partying_face:

1 Like

1 000 000 commits. How many lines would that represent?

By the way, you could just revert some commits about, I don’t know… Demon warlock or Survival hunters!

Microsoft: ‘Hold my beer…’

Blizz coding Meta Achievement announced ‘What A Long, Strange Stack It’s Been’, it awards a Pony mount, called the Cobalt Pack Mule (which is blue) a Whiteboard toy and a slice of pizza that can be equipped as an Off-hand frill accessory…
I’ll get my coat.

2 Likes

3 Likes

900,000 of those commits commenting out lines of code each patch when you decide to remove content.

How about updating the standard mounts? The gnomes really need the pvp gnomereagan mount without its flag for all the older models.

Why would you use 2^20 for mega-commit instead of the SI definition of million? This makes no sense when we are not dealing with bytes.

Cgrats!