Your Best Tip For Improving Roleplay

why u do this

3 Likes

:cut_of_meat: :horse_racing:

5 Likes

This is for a specific situation, but I believe it’s crucial.
If you’re going to have a character in an IC relationship - either romantic, or a family member, or even just a close friend with a lot of off-screen history - make sure you know the person OOC, and know them well. There are people out there who roleplay IC relationships as if they were OOC, or roleplay their OOC wants through their character, and you simply don’t want to be involved with that. It gets very ugly very fast.

On a similar note, if you have people demanding that you should RP with them instead of others, disassociate ASAP. Don’t wait around like I did, it’s not worth the stress or the headaches.

On a happier note; a tip I can offer is just enjoy yourself. If you’re not happy with your character or the roleplay they are in, then try and change that. We’re all here to have fun at the end of the day, and I don’t think it’s worth forcing something you don’t enjoy over changing a character to something you will.

2 Likes

The best tip then is to delete the character then idk

Gasp.
They speak the truth.
https://gyazo.com/c37f94dcb2aa53c2f54813db48262218.mp4
I regret my sincere reply. Bouncybum, go away.

I’ve added this thread to the Useful threads: setting, story & roleplay catalog, given the old list of essay/discussions were lost to the forum purge.

Good initiative!

1 Like

Lol okay dude.

Sort out that yakubian energy before trying to clapback at my African patron thanks

Nice that people seem happy to support trolls and gankers here.

If you can read the recent posts - you can see that I retract my opinion due to not knowing who that person was.

But I guess spitting from the high horse is more efficient for dem forum points eh?

5 Likes

a) Be rigid
b) Try not to compromise
c) If you disagree with somebody online, burn all the bridges and blacklist them from your rp forever.

4 Likes

Only do this if you also include a departing phrase like “you’ll rue the day” or something similarly over-dramatic, though. Otherwise what’s the fun?

4 Likes

yes. Whisper to them and their possible guild members rly aggressively and then throw them all in ignore for good measure.

1 Like

I don’t really post much on here man, so I couldn’t care less about points.
Before you continue to imply I’ve been spitting on anybody, it has been you who made the snarky comments while being misinformed.

Good evening.

1. Read lore. You dont have to know everything but it doesnt hurt to check out the basic stuff about the race/class combo you want to RP.

2. The more simple= the better. Seriously. The best characters Ive had, and the best characters Ive ever seen have all been basic people. Basic gives the characters a lot of depth. If youre new to rp, start small, build on that. It is much easier and it makes for much better rp with much more options -

3. Let Siths deal in absolutes. If you go for the absolute extreme, imo, you close a lot of doors for you. If you are a superduper evil creature of the realm sure - but the rp scenes fitting your character may be far fewer to chose from. Same goes for any extreme.

4. A friend told me once “All in good rp” and I think thats a nice rule to look at. Is it making good rp, or is it turning kind of…bad? Too dramatic? Too much bitter taste? Change it then.

5. Play what you enjoy.

6. Read the nice guys advice here. Brush away those who think theyre funny by being mean. Theyre usually called bullies.

2 Likes

true in 10

2 Likes

Hey Tylasha, here is a good tip to improve Role-play. Please, stop disturbing people who are RPing by ganking them. I have witnessed you all evening doing it. Around the Cathedral square and Lion’s Rest. You’ve carried this on long enough even well before your forced name change, have some respect for RPers.

It might actually be better to follow the spirit of the thread, if not the OP’s own. Yeah they’ve been called out and now we know, but genuine advice threads are always handy; rather than peeing on her (and each other…).

7 Likes

Two pieces of advice I have that might be a bit more time consuming, but are very simple in the end…

• Read. Books, graphic novels, even comic books or fanfics. Try to see how the authors characterize their protagonists, how they write action, how they write dialogue. Can you take something as inspiration and use in your own emotes? Maybe you learnt a new word that you can put into use? Maybe you’ll read the WoW novels - you’ll learn the lore on top! This is especially helpful if you’re not a native speaker - I found reading in English to help my own learning of the language tremendously. (I say this second guessing every sentence I write.)

• Write. Not only your own emotes, but stories. Have your character go on a journey of any kind, what will they encounter, what will they feel? How do they react to a problem? If your character is a blanker slate, this might be a nice way of having certain memories be more vivid when you need to reference them in RP. You can also include new words you’ve learnt in the stories to work them into your vocabulary.

You get a better feel of the character you’re playing after you’ve written a story for them, because often you’ll have to think of everything yourself, instead of half-reactionary types of writing you tend to do in RP. You’ll perhaps even develop your own style of writing that can also be shown in your own emotes that’ll make you stand out. And if not, at least it’ll be a character study.

It’s also great when you’re still learning English and decide to try out RPing - you’ll end up practising the language through reading and writing. Perhaps you’re still in school and might not receive the best education there is - this can certainly help (on top of RP on its own). Though, with some practise writing, RP itself will then become less daunting as well.

And finally, just RP a lot yourself. Practise makes perfect - and in the end, most of RP is reading and writing anyway.

8 Likes

Something that I struggle with from time to time is that I subconsciously try to steer where the story or social status of my character is going. This tendency is not something I want to have, but I notice myself doing it every now and then.

And the advice I can give to others, and a reminder to myself, is that try to let your vision of your character go and let the roleplay take you on the journey. It’s better to go with the current than fight against it and get upset when you don’t feel satisfied with where your character ended up.

Of course, there are very broad and general paths you can still cling to, such as “I want my character to eventually become a Druid” or “One day my character will learn a horrible truth about his family” but what I feel just breeds disappointment and sometimes even bitterness is when you set expectations such as “This character is going to be the wisest of my guild that everyone will flock to for knowledge,” or “My TRP states that my warrior is a big hulking pile of muscles, everyone needs to be afraid of me!” But when you start to roleplay with people that have met hundreds of sage, old scholars and care little for elder’s wisdom, or how strong and tall you are, the should be understandable and okay. Take it as it comes instead, and then come to accept the role your character was given naturally. There one constant factor is the human behind the other character, and they will perceive you differently than you want to be perceived, let them, and don’t force your vision on others.

Go with the flow. Don’t fight it. :ocean: :surfing_man:

2 Likes