Bring back proper ultrawide support in D2 Resurrected

I cancelled my pre-order because of this… the game has to fit my PC not the other way around. I didn’t buy a 32:9 to play with black bars… very disappointed

4 Likes

Yeah this sucks no desire to play without proper monitor support like shown in the alpha footage.

I wasn’t going to order anyway, and this sure didn’t change that :sunglasses:

You lost another customer.

2 Likes

This change puts me on the fence on buying this game. If I understand the issue correctly, a very vocal minority (I assume) expressed concern over a theoretical ‘competitive’ PvP advantage that ultrawide aspect ratios have. I believe most people, like me, will never touch competitive PvP (or PvP in general) and this change only worsen the experience. I do not know how competitive PvP plays out, the thread I read did not specify, but I think a good compromise would be to: (1) restrict how far spells like teleport takes you (i.e. no farther than what a 16:9 monitor would see); and (2) let players set up lobbies with competitive PvP settings, where black bars are used for non-16:9 aspect ratios. Personally, I would likely never join a PvP lobby and hence would get the proper experience on my computer.

6 Likes

This is extremely disappointing. If this isn’t fixed by launch then I’ll likely refund the game.

4 Likes

Quite a strange move to remove the support. I refunded the game for now. Will see if they include the support for 32:9 at a later date.

3 Likes

What??? I need to cancel my pre-order if it is even possible.

1 Like

i will also cancel my preorder if they won’t enable it… false promises? c’mon blizzard, it’s 2021…

Refunding, because this is just sad in 2021. If anything it should be a toggle combined with being forced to 16:9 if you PvP.

Blizzard doesn’t read the EU forums tho.

Somehow this is no problem in Diablo 3 but you guys had to bring a classic into the year 2021 and ONLY allow 16:9?

What the hell?

1 Like

Totally agreed. This is the year 2021. If they claim to be bringing Diablo II to the modern era, ultra-widescreen needs to be fully and properly supported. As time goes on, more people will be using UW, so Blizzard can’t just pretend it doesn’t exist. I already submitted this as a Bug Report/Feedback earlier today. I recommend you all do the same. I play 5120 x 1440 (32:9). If UW is not brought back and properly supported, I will be requesting a refund for D2R.

Edit: UPDATE - I have requested a refund for D2R until Blizzard gets their act together on this issue. I also contacted Blizzard Support and give these precise reasons as feedback.

2 Likes

I think I’ll be getting a refund if this isn’t addressed. I bought it because I saw how beautiful ultrawide looked in the alpha. Such a shame.

4 Likes

Come on!!! Ultrawide screen support please!!!

Agreed this is absolute bulls*** blizzard may as well take ultrawide support out of world of warcraft, diablo 3 and any other future title for that matter. The advantage is highly miniscule, and people who have the money for ultrawide shouldn’t be punished just because the majority of the player base cannot afford better hardware. What a joke, i’ll be requesting a refund if it’s not changed.

Yep. Very disappointed in this. Chose to pre-order and try out the beta before even researching this issue as I assumed 2021 it would have ultrawide support, only to open the game and see black bars. Will be cancelling my pre-order and waiting for POE2 I suppose.

Insane to think about the fact that they PURPOSELY added in black bars in this game. As a kid, I played this game DAILY before and after school for what probably amounted to 3-4 years of my childhood and was excited to relive that experience but I didn’t buy an ultrawide monitor to have half of it blank while playing what is supposed to be a modern game.

I hope they fix this and add ultrawide once more.

Come on blizzard…
We are in 2021, look at Poe, look at competitive games like rocket league, any fps or moba’s… They all support ultrawide ! Don’t let a jealous minority ruins the fun of your game again because they don’t own a wide screen ! They can still go back to old diablo 2 and play on 800*600 if they want everyone with the same resolution. What’s next? Not implementing hdr for too much colours, no mouse with more than 3 buttons and cap everyone at 60 fps? I won’t encourage this. Such a disgrace.

1 Like

Would really like to see an official response from Blizzard on this. I’ve already refunded my preorder and uninstalled, but would return if 21:9 was supported. Sorry but in 2021 I’d like to be able to fully utilize my monitor without black bars, especially when it was able to in the Alpha, and other games like PoE can do it no problem.

1 Like

In original Diablo 2 you’ve had an advantage, if you could run the higher resolution version with 3D rotation/adjustments, sometimes being able to look around palisades, etc.

And as others mentioned, just limit targeting or even vision (just like that) in PvP mode… it’s a flag you have to set after all. And if you enable PvP and want to grief others, maybe you’re supposed to potentially be at an advantage, just like the fanfare warning them before?

If there are issues with cut scenes or similar, just add the black bars during those. If there are missing assets outside the view, maybe just add some placeholder stuff?

I totally understand the motivation, it’s simply the easiest approach to a potential disparity in PvP etc., but after having played other games in full 32:9, I don’t feel like the need to go back nor do I want to.

And as others said, too: I was pretty much sold on the Remaster despite the other controversies, especially after seeing Ultra-Wide shots, but now I once again tend to just let it be and play something else instead.

1 Like