Diablo 2 resurrected failed to initialize graphics device

Nope, only my GTX 1080 TI shows up in device manager. It doesn’t show any onboard card.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m having the same issue here.
My pc does follow the requirements, and runs everything without an issue, except for D2R.
Here is my Blz-log.txt:

9/25 01:38:47.696 [Prism/4] [<>:0]: Unsupported API Backend
9/25 01:38:47.696 [D2Prism/5] [<>:0]: Fatal: failed to create device.
9/25 01:38:47.776 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 4318 driver version 924716l device name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
9/25 01:38:47.776 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 5140 driver version 1247871522l device name Microsoft Basic Render Driver
9/25 01:38:49.174 [D2Win/5] [<>:0]: Fatal failure during initialization.

My Pc has the following specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16330MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

And I ask for the moderators to not suggest a refund, if people bought the game it is because they want to play it. Please fix these issues.

Best Regards.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Nvidia titan gtx windows 8.1 16 gig of ram tried all the suggestions and re installed the game. Guess I’ll go to console for now

try this - For Nvidia GPU, Open Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Setting > select the game > select “High-performance Nvidia processor” under preferred preferred graphics option.

AMD GPU users need to open Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings > Power > Switchable Graphics Application Settings. Select the game and select the “High-Performance profile” to the game under Graphics Settings. Apply these settings and the “Failed to initialize Graphics Device” error will be fixed with Diablo 2 Resurrected.

Works like a charm that way, thank you <3

Having the same graphics issue.
It looks like the majority of people having issues are using Windows 8.1, where the requirements state Windows 10, so it may require directX 12, where Windows 8.1 only supports DX11
Hopefully this isn’t the issue, because my cpu doesn’t work correctly running Windows 10, even though all the hardware is win10 compatible, some drivers don’t function correctly.

Have the same issue. I have a laptop with Nvidia GT 555M graphic card 2GB RAM, CPU Intel Core i5 2,3 Ghz, 8 GB RAM. I don’t know if my video card meets minimum system requirements. I don’t want to ask for a refund because I really love the game. Please help.

I’ve also got the same error “graphic device bla bla…” on Windows 8.1

Guys, Windows 10 is necessary to launch the game. Until yesterday I was many-years-windows8.1-user and I didn’t want to move on the Windows 10 but yesterday I made a decision to move it on 10’s and the game started with any single glitch.

You can try hundreds solutions to launch the game on Windows 8.1 as I did during the beta/initial release but nothing gonna help you.

I have Win 10 and meet all the Maximum requirements and still get the failed to initialize graphics error. Tried every solution out there and still nothing.

Other then buying a new PC i dont see any other reason how to get this to work.

Oi, tô na mesma, Conseguiu fazer rodar?

After trying everything posted here (high performance in NVIDIA settings, updating drivers with latest NVIDIA GameReady drivers, trying to launch from in-folder .exe (as admin), trying whatever compatibility possible), i ended up refunding this game, that I was waiting for the last 2 months. Thanks for ruining it for me.

4 Likes

Click PLAY, BLACK SCREEN… then ERROR REPORT TO BLIZZARD. End of story.

3 Likes

Blizzard has really gone down hill in the past couple years. Can’t even release a 20 year old game properly. Yikes.

2 Likes

Bought the game yesterday. i have an 1-7 with a nivida 850m and 16gb ram. checked back today to see if the issue was resoved. of course not. read the posts from others to see if there was atleast some sort of progress was made… of course not. GOT MY REFUND DOE.

1 Like

I was able to play yesterday, but my game crashed to desktop randomly.
Today i noticed, that my game got updated and then: et voila - i ended up with this!
I tried to launch the game with the .exe-file directly from it’s folder and it worked for me!

Sent a ticket 2 days ago. No answer yet.
Will wait till wednesday and will go for refund as well.
So sad!

1 Like

I decided to make a refund today, the robot refused ukriana

Yes, I also have tha same problems with graphics initialization on 2 of my 3 PC’s.

So.
Me and thousands of Diablo fans have beed waiting for so long and payed Blizzard just to have new graphics in 20 years old game.
After a long period of time Blizz says: “Hooray! Ur D2 is resurrected! U can play!”
But u can’t.

Tell me Blizzard plz, what the heck?
Havent u learned a shit at W3 Reforged?
Couldn’t you solve the problem ASAP or at least give us an adequate answer?

• U could, I believe, but you don’t mind - why try harder if we already payed for this crap?

I’ve been one of the most loving fans since 1994 and I even endured what you did to WC3 in Reforged (in fact im still waiting and hoping u’ll do something with it) but now im giving it up.

RIP

4 Likes

Thanks for the help but i followed your instructions and there is no ( preferred graphics option in the list ).

hello,
same problem, then pressing play button error come out “The application encountered with unexpected error”