Diablo 2 resurrection not launching and Diablo 3 launches only in 32-bit mode

Dear Blizzard

I recently started facing an issue with the two games (and more) listed on the Topic title. My system specs are:

1. Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (21H2 fully patched)
  2. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  3. Nvidia 3800 GPU ( latest driver 516.59)

Every time I lanunch a game from the Battle.net client (32-bit version I noticed), it says Playing Now but nothing happens. Then the main blue button reverts to the ‘Play’ status again. I managed to get Diablo 3 working using the 32-bits client but that is not good enough.
This is something recent, since I was enjoying my Blizzard games a while ago. It could be related to some Windows update or the latest nvidia video driver?

Kind regards,
George

Can you help me solve this issue?

Hi,

This forum is for technical support on Blizzard’s Classic (ie, legacy) Games such as Diablo II (2000) and on the Battle.Net Desktop App.

=================================================================================

Have you tried the recommended troubleshooting for crashes in D2R and D3 ?

This could be caused by a conflict between the game and an app running in the background. Closing all the applications running in the background can help identify which application is causing an issue.

In the case of D3 particularly, this issue can be caused by the drivers of a Razer mouse or Razer keyboard. If you are currently using a Razer mouse or keyboard, please try the workaround(s) listed in this post. If you were using a Razer mouse or keyboard previously, but are no longer using it, ensure that the Synapse drivers are uninstalled and that the following 3 files are no longer present on your system:

• C:\Windows\System32\RzChromaSDK64.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RzChromaSDK.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RzAPIChromaSDK.dll

If those files are present on your system, you can rename the files by adding “.old” to the filenames if you prefer not to delete them.

If all the above does not solve the issue…

• Post in the D2R or D3 Technical Support forums and provide a complete DxDiag report; you will need to upload this report to a textfile hosting website such as https://pastebin.com/ and provide a link to your report in your post; or

• Contact Blizzard Support directly with a ticket; you can use the link for D2R here. The words in blue on the ticket form are links to additional information that could be useful to you. Provide all the details on the issues in the “Description” box, including any troubleshooting you have already performed.

Thank you for the response.
Thing is that I indeed am using a Razor mouse and I have installed the Synapse drivers. There were working fine until now. Some update must have triggered it since I don’t recall installing any new software recently.
I will check these remedies and get back to you.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for confirming that you have a Razer mouse.

The usual way of solving this issue for Diablo III is to change the value of DisableChromaEffects from 0 to 1. The detailed steps are:

1. Go to the Documents folder.
  2. Select the Diablo III folder.
  3. Open the D3prefs.txt file using Notepad.
  4. Add or Edit the following line. The value should be 1, like so:
    DisableChromaEffects "1"
  5. Save the file.
  6. Try launching Diablo III again.

That will not help Diablo II: Resurrected however… and I am totally unfamiliar with the type of issues between D2R and the Razer drivers.

Something that may work for D2R is to uninstall the “Razer Chroma SDK Core Components” – this can be done directly in the Settings/Apps menu or even the Control Panel. That is the solution we were using for Diablo III prior to learning the trick of changing the value of DisableChromaEffects in the D3Prefs.txt file.

I do not know… Perhaps the Blizzard rep here can comment on this… or someone on the D2R Tech Support forum.

Best of luck with this.

Thank you for your reply!

I totally uninstalled any Razor software but no good. To be specific, this problem is not limited to Diablo III or Diablo II resurrected. I cannot launch any Blizzard game, except for the ones with 32-bit clients. I upgraded my nvidia driver to 516.93 but still the same problem.
Furthermore, I opened a ticket with Blizzard support yesterday but have yet to receice a response. The whole thing came practically out of the blue. All the games were working properly before I went on vacations.

OK - I’m sorry you’re still having issues.

Sometimes, the Synapse uninstaller isn’t thorough… you should make sure that those 3 files I referred to above are not on your system.

Excellent… that’s probably best in this case since several games are affected. I don’t know what their response time is, especially during the week-end…

Best of luck with this issue - I hope that you can play again soon.

Well, I searched but I did not find those files on my system.
Guess, I can do nothing but wait for Blizzard support to respond to my ticket. This is a rather new Windows 11 installation and I do not want to reinstall Windows again.