Easy Fix for Serverproblems!

no ty, there were enough dupe methods in the past, no need to introduce some others. wait till they implement the new changes on the server side and then make as many games as your heart desires

1 Like

Well, creating games (=new instances) are a problem for the servers. Millions of people creating new games every 1-2 minutes=a huge problem.

There is a huge difference between creating a game and keeping a game running. Creating a game needs more server resources than keeping a game up. Thats just the basics of creating new instances. The very basics. Not even close to rocket science.

Second part: So you are afraid of any changes because any change may result in new bugs? Well, thats life! All changes may result in problems.

1 Like

Theres not big difference betwing creating game or keeping a “shell” and recreating game within this shell. Connections are handled by separate server with low load, and recreating might be actually more difficult than simply creating new game.

Im not afraid of any changes. Bug and glitches are one part, but recreating game content while there are still online players within it and may interfere with recreation would most likely lead to various explois (look what they did with WoW classic and their phasing dungeons).

Sorry but thats not true.

Creating a new game = creating a new instance.
Leaving a game and creating a new game = deleting one instance and create a new one.

There is a huge difference for the servers.

And on top of that:

If you were in act 5 and left the town to kill something, then you go to ac1 and kill andy. Then only act5 will be recreated. Act 1,2,3,4 remain untouched.

So only 1/5 of the instance will be refreshed/replaced.

And there are no bugs possible, because once there is a player in an act, this act will NOT be touched at all.
I would only reset all “touched”(=some action outside town) acts without active players.

Oh. So you even think that all acts/maps/monsters are generated right during game creation and somehow kept in some huge array or something? Thats cute. Hope you wil never ever decide to code anything.

1 Like

yeah would be awesome with a button when all is in town you vote for a reset .

Well, i AM a software developer and its possible without any problems. Maps are just some arrays and monsters too.

So if you are such a talented developer: How would you store maps and monsters positions? Arrays/lists/structures are the only method. Yes it may be complex. But if its developed in a good way, each part of the game has an init() or create() function or its possible to reset the whole act by calling the destructor and then again the constructor of that class.

Yea that would be a good solution too.

Or you can not be a spastic asshole and create longer runs.

1 Like

I will try it again as simple as possible - game doesnt create everything during game creation. Creating starting town and adjacted map is not much different from recreating few areas within game, and its kinda cleaner.

Then its even easier because this could be done again during one session more often (triggered by killing bosses, …).

Whats the difference between creating act3 new once from town or once again after killing baal?

It sounds nice but to have a button to reset everything on a server will most likely be a hackers wet dream.

People have forgotten that a huge number of cool items simply fall from mobs and boxes, and they think it’s easier to get a thing from the boss. But this is not the case. Plus, need to add an auto-kick for prolonged inactivity.

They need afk kick from games after 15 mins. Games with no one in them after 3 mins close. Time to perm game 2 mins. Easy fix

No only runs are a problem, i refer to my thread where i pondered about he idea why this is happening at all. I took it to a step where the lobby system needs to be replaced completely, because this is the root of the problem and should have been remastered in the first place.(maybe normal games can sill work like this) Suggestion against outtages

I said exact same thing to a fiend of mine yesterday when we spoke xd

Ich sehe das die wenigsten von Euch verstanden haben wo das eigentliche Problem liegt, das Problem ist NICHT die Anzahl der Spiele an sich, das Problem und warum die Server zusammen brechen ist die andauernde Last die beim erstellen neuer Spiele und beim verlassen eben dieser.
Wobei ganz klar nochmal unterschieden werden muss, das es NICHT um das GAME des Spielers geht, sondern um den Spieler selber. Das war auch so heraus zu lesen aus dem Statement von Blizz.

EURE Chars werden auf separaten Servern gespeichert und diese Informationen werden geladen wenn ihr ein Spiel erstellt und an einen weiteren Server übergeben und da diese “Datenbanken” eine gewisse Größe haben brechen sie irgendwann zusammen, wenn im Sekunden Takt tausende Spieler neue Games erstellen, je mehr Spieler das in kurzer Zeit tun umso größer wird die Last. Das führt dazu das die Datenbank irgendwann nicht mehr antworten kann und zusammen bricht. Laufende Games, befinden sich auf anderen Servern, denen es herzlich egal ist wie lange ihr in einem Spiel seid, die in der Regel keinerlei “Last Probleme” haben.
Also gibt es nicht zu viel Spiele gleichzeitig, es werden nur zu viele Spiele gleichzeitig erstellt!
Wenn man jetzt “schlau” sein möchte, sagt man, “gib uns doch die Möglichkeit in dem Spiel einen Act zu resetten!”
Das ist aber nicht schlau, denn dadurch muss die Datenbank ja auch angesprochen werden, die Eure Chars verwaltet.

Woher ich das weiß? Nunja ich habe aufmerksam gelesen und verstanden was Blizz uns erklärt hat.

Und für Leute die meinen Das die bei Blizz nur dumm sind, die gleichen Probleme gab es in D2 auch und sie führten unter anderem zu den Maßnahmen, das Spieler einen Temp Ban bekommen haben, wenn sie zu oft in kurzer Zeit ein Spiel betreten haben.
Ja es war auch ein Mittel um die Bots etwas zu bremsen, aber hauptsächlich um die Serverlast besser handeln zu können.

I see that very few of you have understood where the real problem lies, the problem is NOT the number of games per se, the problem and why the servers are crashing is the constant burden of creating new games and leaving them.
Whereby it must be clearly distinguished again that it is NOT about the GAME of the player, but about the player himself. That could also be read from the Blizz statement.

YOUR Chars are stored on separate servers and this information is loaded when you create a game and transferred to another server and since these “databases” are of a certain size they break down at some point when thousands of players create new games every second, the more Players do this in a short time, the greater the burden. This means that the database can no longer answer at some point and collapses. Running games are located on other servers, which do not care how long you are in a game, which usually do not have any “load problems”.
So there aren’t too many games at the same time, just too many games are being created at the same time!
If you want to be “smart” now, you say, “give us the opportunity to reset an act in the game!”
But that’s not smart, because it also has to address the database that manages your characters.

From where I know this? Well, I read carefully and understood what Blizz was explaining to us.

And for people who think that they are just stupid at Blizz, the same problems existed in D2 and they led, among other things, to the measures that players got a temp ban if they entered a game too often in a short period of time.
Yes, it was also a means to slow down the bots a bit, but mainly to be able to better handle the server load.

in poe you can just recreate an instance and reset an area with shift+click if you leave or enter a zone… just saying~

Developer here.
This is actually possible. The code base has to be written in a way that all variables belonging to a certain group, that can be resettet “monsters, chests, maps, etc”. are grouped up are reinitialized.
This should be done under certain conditions, e.g. no other player is in the game to avoid possible glitches, but in the end, it would reduce a lot of overhead. The servers just have to roll some new random numbers for the maps and reinitialize variables.

1 Like

No. The game still stays active and the maps will be rerolled. Another user said that the maps are not created by creating the game.

So the main question is: When are the maps rolled?!

If the maps are rolled after creating the game, wenn the data is already transferred to the other server, then an “map reset” would be an easy solution.

If the maps are rolled before the data is transferred to the other server, then this would reset would not fix anything until the core of the game would be changed.

Take a look into that suggest and share your opinion Suggest: Recreate world button