Auto pick-up gems and etc

Maybe this is 100 topic here but…
Why gold is picked up automatically but not gems or crafting materials? Why not make our favourite game a little more comfortable and user-friendly?
Our companions also should be able to pick up all this stuff why not?
I believe that I’m not the only one who would appreciate any steps from developers towards this kind of changes!
Thank you in advance!

4 Likes

Auto Pickup of Gold has been in Diablo 3 since initial launch back in 2012. We had to manually click on Materials and Gems to pick them up. It was only later on that “Vacuum Pickup” was introduced, where if you click on a gem, then you also pickup all nearby gems.

But even so, Ive said before to others that want this “feature” : If you truly want to have EVERYTHING in the game be auto pickup just by walking over it, then what is left to you as a player to actually do? Click Monster, Kill Monster. Rinse. Repeat.

Sounds awfully boring.

P.S. I do not mean to discourage you with such a negative reply, but I truly think that too much automation in a game isn’t not a good idea.

Click on items that take up inventory slots, which crafting materials no longer do.

2 Likes

Crafting materials where changed to no longer take up inventory and stash space in order to give players more space to hold weapons, armor and such.

And guess what? Players are still complaining about not having enough stash space.

Also, an unintended consequence of this was to devalue crafting materials. Previously, players had no choice but to use the game mechanics of crafting, enchanting, etc on even near perfect rolled items. This was how we managed our stash space in the past.

Now that materials no longer take up stash space, their value is of importance only in the earlier stages of the game. Once we have those perfect rolls or items for our heroes, we do nothing but gather resources that end up not being used.

Why? Because we no longer have to consider stack limitations. In other words, when I pickup a crafting material, because I no longer have to consider a stack limit, the consequence of hoarding too much crafting materials is lost because it no longer impacts stash space.

So what’s the next request? Auto-pickup of items as well? :yawning_face:Sarcasm

This is completely false, but that’s because you don’t do what people do in the end-game stages, i.e. lots and lots of “Upgrade rare to legendary” and “Reforge legendary” in the cube. When we have those almost perfect rolls on items, we’re still searching for better or, in the case of primals, literally perfect rolls.

My non-seasonal WW/Rend Barb has primal BK weapons and primal Istvan’s weapons, but I still want better primals because the primals I have do not have ideal affixes. So, I’ll gather bounty materials and forgotten souls to reforge spares of those items hoping for a primal, or very well rolled ancient with the right affixes.

The limitation on reforging is always bounty materials.
The limitation on upgrading rares is always death’s breaths.

If you actually do what end-game is about, you’d realise that crafting materials are one of the best sources of getting primals of items you want.

No, I’m just in favour of auto-picking of items that do not take up inventory space. I still want the player to decide whether to pick up gems, items, warden keys and so on. How about bloodshards? They still have a cap, but they’re auto-pickup. Should those have to be manually clicked on?

1 Like

I do agree with auto pick up for crafting materials such as white, blue and yellow parts. It is so annoying to stop and pick up in the middle of the fight just for those items and I always run out of crafting mats.

I did a post before saying that why not make our pets to collect these things. At the moment, pets are useless just for the visual purpose and they do nothing other than pick up gold. It will be cooler if some pets collect only gold, some pets collect crafting mats, some pet collect only gems, some pet collect only DB and some pets can collect 2 different things like Mats and Gold or any combination you can think of. We have like more than 20 different pets. Then player can decide which pet they will use for what occasion.

DB, gems, gears and souls are pick up by the player choice as default which is fair enough and I also do agree that too much automation is not a good idea but I do think that some small things can make life easier for the player.

1 Like

Which I find to be a wholly unnecessary waste of time, especially when I already have those near perfect rolls. For example, seeing as you appear to prefer maths and statistics over the game itself, what are the chances if finding this item again, as an Ancient or a Primal, with exactly the same rolls:

Magefist
553 Armor
+748 Intelligence
Critical Hit Damage 50%
Critical Hit Change 10%
+9093 Life Per Hit

I have spent in excess of 91,000 Bloodshards so far trying to get a better one, but no luck.

Long story short, I find it FAR MORE ENGAGING to go out and do what my hero does best in Diablo III - find and slay monsters. In 8 years, I’ve only ever gotten maybe 3 or 4 good items through re-rolling or bloodshards. Everything else has always been through loot drops.

Well, Yes. Either make Bloodshards require a click to pickup, just like Gems and Crafting Materials. Or remove the cap, like Gold.

So you do use math in some form after all… Even counting the number of blood shards spent when you’re playing for fun and leisure? Oh, and Blood shards and ancients (plus Kadala, the Cube and all that) wasn’t in Diablo 3 from the start. Another thing is that even with slightly lower stats ancient items like the Magefists that you mention could be an improvement when augmented… but you probably need math to find that out (or just being able to compare two different damage numbers to see which is the highest).
This isn’t meant as a personal attack. You’re entitled to play the game exactly as you like of course

Clearly, if you bothered to look at my heroes, you’d know this is untrue.
My career page - 19,053,107 lifetime kills
Your career page - 6,339,429 lifetime kills

I don’t know, but I do know it’s possible.

Exhibit A
The gloves on my Marauder DH…
989 DEX
7% AS
50% CHD
10% CHC

Exhibit B…
The gloves on my Blessed Hammer Crusader…
7% AS
47% CHD
9.5% CHC
20% AD

Look at my heroes. They’re covered in primals. I’d estimate less than half of them came as drops, i.e. the rest came from gambling at Kadala, upgrading rares in the cube, or re-forging in the cube.

Gloves cost 25 bloodshards each. That means you’ve gambled for 91000/25 = 3640‬ sets of gloves. Let’s assume you were having good luck and say half of them were legendary / set gloves, the rest were blues / yellows. That means 1820 legendary / set gloves. The DH has 4 set gloves available. There are 11 legendary gloves available but some of them are incredibly unlikely for a DH, e.g. Stone Gauntlets (usually only a STR class drop), Grasps of Essence (Necro), Pendergrasps (crafted), Moribund Gauntlets (Necro) and Pender’s Purchase (crafted). That leaves 6 legendary gloves. So, let’s say 10 possible glove types. Assuming (for ease) that they all have the same drop table weighting, that means 1 in 10 of those 1820 gloves would be Magefists, i.e. 182 gloves. Ancients are 1 in 10 legendaries. So, 18-19 ancient Magefists.

So, in 19 attempts, you haven’t gotten better gloves. And you’re using this as an example of how much you use the crafting / gambling / upgrading options available in the game? 19!

Well, no. I use my mouse in-game and goto to my seasonal profile. Its shows up there. No need to use maths to work out anything.

This is your problem. You keep making assumptions.

Just when exactly are you going to realize that I’ll never understand your predisposition for turning Diablo III into a game of statistics and science? Calculating the odds of what may happen or what you might get does nothing more than ruin what is the very core of the game - surprise.

Also, do you seriously think that because you have ‘killed’ more monsters than me that this makes you better than me? Honestly, I think the reverse is true. All those numbers prove is that I have a life and know when to take a break from playing games in order to have a healthy social life.

What is it with you always comparing yourself to others?

Get over yourself.

Lottery tickets say hi. People that buy them know what the odds of winning the jackpot are, but I guarantee you that if they win they get a lovely surprise. Likewise, knowing that the chance of a primal is 1 in 400 legendaries doesn’t alter my excitement each and every time I see a shiny red beam.

Monsters killed has a high correlation to time played. I listed our comparative kill counts to demonstrate that, quite clearly, I like the game a lot and certainly more than you do. You know, to directly refute your claim. (Are you seeing a theme yet?)

1 Like

So you’ve only spent blood shards on gloves this season?

(Your reply to Meteorblade). I think you are making assumptions too. Just because Meteorblade knows about maths, statistics and lots of other facts doesn’t mean that he’s not playing the game for fun, leisure, relaxation and the likes.

1 Like

Yes. Because I already have already found what I’ve needed through regular drops, including replacements for items already found.

Fair enough. But his own assumption is to believe that this makes him a better player.

Just how exactly does time played demonstrate that you like the game more than I do? The way I see it, if you’ve been playing Diablo III since release in 2012, and have still clocked in more playing hours than I have, it means nothing other than you not having a social life beyond your keyboard and mouse.

As I said earlier, and countless times before on this and the old forums, Diablo III is a game. If you see fit to spend the majority of your daily routine concentrating on nothing but that (or other digital forms of entertainment), then it is you that has a problem. Not me.

So please, stop trying to turn me into a clone of yourself by telling me how you play. Urgh. Frightening thought right there… :scream:

No. You’re wrong on two counts (not that I feel compelled to defend Meteorblade).

1. He is a better player than you if you measure it by things like how high and fast you can do GRs at certain levels - this even if you had the same amount of paragon points.
  2. He is responding to your claims that your way of playing is better in the terms of fun and relaxation, thereby saying that his way doesn’t provide the same (or even higher) level of fun and relaxation. You even go so far as to say that he has no social life, which you absolutely know nothing about.

So, because you have “near perfect rolls”, it’s then crafting mats useless for the rest of the players?! /facepalm

And no, is not a “waste of time”. Waste of time is to stop every time and pick up crafting mats and alike in a very “aggressive” and fast game.

If D3 was like … few years old, I would of understand this. But no, May 15 is around the corner and it will turn 8 years old. For an 8 years old game, QoL features are a very welcome addition.

Second /facepalm …

1 Like

I was composing a long, detailed response but then realised that as you’re already at the stage of using ad hominem attacks, why bother.

1 Like

In other words, just as you are incapable of convincing me that you consider your way of playing to be better than mine, I am also incapable of convincing you that I consider mine to be better than yours.

You spending more time with the game does not make you a better player, just as me spending less time with it makes me a worse off player. See the logic?

Which is why they introduced “vacuum pickup” for gems and crafting materials, so that you don’t have to click on each individual stack.

And besides, the only thing that is fast and aggressive in Diablo III are Greater Rifts, and drops of any kind do not exist there until after you have killed the Rift Guardian, giving you as much time as your want to pick stuff up.

There are literally no other parts of the game that employ a set time limit, meaning a player can take their sweet time if they choose to do so. Except maybe the one “Timed Dungeon” that occasionally pops up in Act II…

The one QoL addition I’d like to see does not involve even more automation in the game than already exists. What bugs me the most is that Greater Rifts are literallyy the only place that presents any kind of challenge.

Why? Because once players get to GR70+, then Bounties and Nephalem Rifts at Torment 16 become a one-shot festival. If Bounties and Nephalem Rifts could scale in a manner similar to (note I say similar to) Greater Rifts, then maybe that could actually be considered a good QoL change.

We need look no further than your Invoker Catherine.

You were advised that it’s impossible for Thorns to crit. Despite this, not only did you not roll off existing CHC / CHD affixes into more useful affixes, you re-rolled CHC / CHD onto her gear. How does ignoring valid advice and actively choosing to make your heroes worse make you a better player?

2 Likes