D4 waaay too satanic?

Doesn’t play the first Diablo; says Diablo IV too devilish.

2 Likes

I hope the game comes out with a blood offering pact before installing as a ‘‘Terms and Conditions’’ deal.

5 Likes

The Devs said in the interviews that they made it “darker” intentionally. Like you said they wanted to harken back to D2’s aesthetic, also as you mentioned the graphics at that time were not what we have now.
I believe a reason that D4 may seem more “evil” is that graphics(especially the cinematic) are now at a point where they are darn near life-like.
With that the Devs are able to show us in a more visceral way the stuff that was there in D2 but didn’t translate as easily due to technical limitations.
Yeah it is a dark and bleak world but that is what they are going for. They are showing us the stakes, telling the players that the world in the game is in a bad place and imploring you to save it.
Ultimately though it’s just a game, if it makes you uncomfortable you are justified to give it a pass. Do what makes you happy at the end of the day, that’s what games are for! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also I am pretty sure you did not notice a lot of the satanic elements and gore. E.g. the flayed bodies, the rivers of blood in Durance of Hate, the Catacombs etc.

1 Like

As other have mentioned in the own replies, you need to realize the that the whole point of the game is the destruction of evil. Not the promotion of it.

If you still feel that Diablo IV is too satanic for you, then you need to open up the door to your rabbit hole and have a look around outside for a bit. Look at all the other games, books, tv series and movies out there that draw their inspiration from the dark and occult.

It’s just fantasy. None of it is real.

2 Likes

Look at Syria, for starters.

well someone sure is lost.

The series is called Diablo (literally means Devil) and has always been inspired by religious and occult themes. To see them at least make an attempt to go back to the roots is encouraging, though it has to be more than just superficial.

Diablo II was great because it was capable of making me uneasy, sometimes even downright afraid to go on as a young lad. The further down you went, the more disturbing things got and it was reflected in the level design. The descent down the monastery on the way to Andariel is probably the best example of this.

I don’t know how or if Blizzard can manage to make the god-slaying Nephalem feel even the slightest bit of fear given how powerful they are, but I hope they find a way. Crushing your enemies is great fun and all but the thing I probably missed the most in Diablo III was a sense of dread and fear.

Hopefully they can capture that atmosphere again in Diablo 4.

• what gave it away the game’s name ? or Lilith’s big horns ?
1 Like

I’ve played Diablo 3 with 5 year olds. I feel Diablo 3 doesn’t fit the rated M for mature title at all. If anything Diablo 4 isn’t dark enough.

1 Like

And I like it that way. Even not dark enough for me. I think Blizz should remove those exagerrated, still cartoony skill animations.

2 Likes

Since diablo is satan, you are saying this exact words: Satan 4 is waaay to satanic

Look at little Zothar junior, gonna cry?

D3 is ok but no it’s not dark at all, I alwayliked gore dark fantasy titles so I welcome as much bodies, blood and heresy as I can! If anything diablo4 could be even darker. We will see how the music going to be like.

1 Like

As a Christian myself I actually want Diablo to be even more satanic. That’s because inside grim hopeless occult environment playing Paladin or another positive/radiant archetype is much more satisfying for me. Not to mention that the more occult crap I can smash with my flail the better.

3 Likes

This got to be some funny joke. Have you ever played D1 or D2? That stuff is scary and satanic, not disney-like colorful and all happy D3 or D4. Not trynna be mean but for real…

DIABLO cannot be satanic enough ever. It is the whole point of this game. You fight the Devil and his minions and you expect unicorns, lollipops and rainbows?

Well, Diablo is the satan himself, or rather an interpretation of satan in that universe. Arch demons, prime evils, hellspawn, aren’t exactly meant to be happy little critters. This dark creepy eerie atmosphere was one of the signature traits of the franchise. My fav part was in d2, in act 2 where you finally entered the palace and started descending. That contrast with the happy sunny town on the surface and the impaled gutted guards inside the palace, lol and that music in the background … In d3 the only thing that resembles that is Malthael in the cutscene where he attacks Tyrael.

Sorry that you feel this way OP, but for most of us, D4 is a return to the roots of the game series that we love so much. The diablo universe is meant to be gritty and dark. The horror / satanic nature of the game is one of the things that drew me to it as a kid. You’re about the same age as me and you mentioned playing d1/d2… D1 was by far the darkest of the series, and it is my favorite (though I played it to death as a teen so I have no real desire to play it anymore). The dark gothic atmosphere is a huge draw for me. I can’t explain it. I just love it. The music, the horror, the broken world… it’s just awesome. I didn’t think Diablo 2 had anywhere near the sense of dread and dark atmosphere that Diablo 1 had, and I yearn for that again in a game.

Then again, if you are a devout Christian, I could see why maybe this is a little bit too close to your actual faith. I personally am not religious, so this is all just fantasy to me, and it doesn’t bother me at all. There’s always path of exile or other good ARPGs I guess if D4 hits a bit too close to home.

I agree man, i liked the ponny lvl in d3 abit more happy feeling.

Blizz pls this is to much ;/

1 Like