Diablo 3 Crashes on Launch

As the title states, whenever i press play from the battlenet launcher, the small D3 logo pops up as usual, then the gray full screen shows up and just before you see the login screen or char select screen, the game just crashes (closes) and you’re back to seeing the launcher with the play button lit again. I’ve updated my Nvidia drivers, tried compatibility mode, tried 32bit client, tried restarting, tried a scan and repair, did a full clean fresh install again, tried scan and repair even after a clean install. All yielded the same result which is instant crash. Ive played S19 upto guardian then left the game for a while.

Note: this is a new machine im trying to play on. Its a high end machine. Plays wow like a breeze but d3 keeps crashing. i9900k, 2080super, nvme, 32gb ram etc…

5 Likes

Hi Mimo: Are you using a Razer mouse or keyboard ? If so, try this:

1. Go to the Documents folder.
  2. Select the Diablo III folder.
  3. Open the D3prefs.txt file using Notepad.
  4. Add or Edit the following line. The value should be 1, like so:
    DisableChromaEffects "1"
  5. Save the file and try Diablo III again.

Reference: Known Technical Support Issues - [Updated June 21, 2020!] - #2 by Zuvykree - Technical Support - Diablo 3 Forums

If not, it would be useful if you could provide your system files; upload them to a cloud or to a textfile hosting website such as pastebin.com and provide links in your reply.

To post links:

• paste the link in your text as you would normally,
  • highlight the entire link, and
  • click on the </> button on the formatting bar at the top of the reply window.

That will convert your link to preformatted text and will make it acceptable to the forum software.

5 Likes

Wow, the game launched normally after disabling chromaeffects! Some fixes are just ridiculous! I have a razer deathadder elite mouse. Thanks a million Boubou!! Time to melt some demons again =)

3 Likes

Great news ! Thanks for reporting back.

Best of luck in your games !

2 Likes

You are a lifesaver! It actually worked!

1 Like