Error 1016 Can't login

Hello, I’m a returning player that has spent quite some time playing Diablo 3 and decided to try season 21. At first I had no issues playing the game but the next day I tried to run it I kept getting error 1016. I searched a little and found some tips to try and fix the problem. I tried to disable the IPV6 protocol and it worked twice but after today it is not allowing me to even log in.

Things I tried:
Went through the troubleshooting for error 1016.
Reset my router and modem multiple times.
Ran Diablo 3 in compatibility mode.
Released IP and flushed DNS.
Checked if D3 is added to my firewall exception list.

At this point nothing is working and I cant even log in anymore. I never had this problem. My computer or my ISP didn’t change since the release of the game.
Does anyone have any advice how to play this game?

Hello Eidan,

My advice would be to contact Blizzard Support.

Error 1016 is a generic error… it essentially means that you’ve lost connection to the server. It doesn’t say why nor where the error might be. Because it is a generic error, there isn’t a single solution to the issue… or issues (there may be several).

Give the game support system a try… not here on the forums but through a ticket.

Use the following link :
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/277/ticket
and provide the information requested. The blue-coloured words are link to additional information or procedures to help you provide the information Blizzard needs to help you.

Solving this error may require more than one attempt… if the steps suggested by Blizzard do not solve the issue, reply and let them know.

Finally… do provide details of the troubleshooting you have already attempted… so they don’t ask you to do it again.

Good luck… bear in mind that, with COVID-19, the waiting time for a response will be longer than it would be normally.

Good luck with this.

Same problem here. I “play” on the Euro servers. Play is a relative term as I keep getting the Error 1016. I have tried ALL the fixes and suggestions but no luck. The game is unplayable. It feels like the issue has worsened with S21. There is no way in hell that I’m switching to the Americas server and starting over, I have way to many hours invested in the game. PLEASE FIX IT (picture me begging on my knees with tears in my eyes)!

I never had this error before and just recently started playing season 21. First play session was fine but the next day I got 1016. Disabling IPV6 worked twice and now I cant even login at all. Hope there is a fix for this. For the record Nothing has changed since the release of the game for me except my OS which is windows 10 now.

Same here. Connecting to EU and I have never had any joy since 02/2020. I am fully aware our i-net in africa sucks, but it is NOT to blame.

To me, as a technician, this is clearly a server-side issue or a technical difficulty with the protocol.

I have never been so frustrated by an online service before…

I feel that the D3 client needs to be patched to make it more robust and less sensitive to being dropped for even a millisecond. It WAS like that before 02/2020… what changed?

Here’s what I am doing at present: I am currently playing on the US server. To date since starting: Absolutely NO 1016!

Although I am experiencing a world of lag spikes every now and then, it is far preferable to being booted by a droppy comms link.

Please, investigate the connectivity between the EU servers and Africa.
I am 100pct convinced that is where the issue lies.

Certainly if you can play on US without being dropped, although subject to increased lag, that is indication enough that the error lies on the side of the connectivity provider?

Tried to use EU: Exact SAME 1016 problem. Thats too many years of progress gone to oblivion because of this.

Swapping back to the US server

Also a ZA player. This 1016 issue is a royal pain. Any suggestions besides USA servers?

Follow the instructions in this article… Running WinMTR …and post the results of the trace here so we can see which network hops are causing the issue.

I am suddenly without any system changes getting this issue, tried as the op doing troubleshooting, reset modem, flushed dns, reset wifi adapter, checked to make sure d3 was in the clear in firewall, literally nothing has changed on my end except a battle.net update and now I cant stay connected for even 10 minutes without getting 1016 error and d3 taking me back to the login page. PLEASE fix this blizzard this is clearly your fault.

1 Like

This stupid error is keeping me from playing. worked fine all last season after the last update I can’t stay logged in.

For the hell of it I tried logging in to EU again… 1016!

Given that I am in ZA, and it is known we have comms issues to the rest of the world, packet loss is understandable and does occur to US d3 server, even more lag on average than eu, but is much more stable. To me, a laggier but stable link is more than acceptable

This error makes D3 totally unplayable on the EU server.

To oblivion with this server. Until it is fixed for good I will not be using EU.

Even with QoS off as someone suggested, it still occurs. We don’t use any IP6 on our internal lan.

Using US from now on until this error has been literally well and truly squashed.

Please fix this.

I found a workaround for this issue but you might not like it. But first my story.

I first started seeing this error on Season 22. My son and I can literally be sitting next to eachother playing Diablo 3 and I will drop off with 1016 while he is still playing, and I have a brand new very fast computer with 500Mbps internet (also I’m a cybersecurity analyst by trade so not afraid to dive deep here.) I find it very frustrating that even when the 1016 error pops, the game is still running in the background. Guess I’ll sit here and wait for them to kill the RG, maybe I’ll still get the XP? So frustrating during bounties.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far which will not do anything to help this issue at all

• Win 7 compatability mode
  • Disable IPV6
  • Flushed DNS Cache
  • Disable Harware CRC checking (all of em, tcp, udp, ip etc…)
  • Disable Autotuning
  • Disable Heuristics
  • Disable AV
  • WinMTR testing (no appreciable packet loss here, and the computer right next to me using same network has no issues.)
  • Changed my switch port
  • Changed my cable
  • Reset FW/Modem/Switch/Router, I have complete bypass rules in my FW policy for Battle.net and all the TCP/UDP ports used.
  • Cannot renew IP, it’s static.

I live in Western Canada, and thus my path to Blizzard goes through Seattle. So as a last straw I figured I would try and VPN myself to Seattle (I use IPVanish.) Sure enough:

Playing with VPN active, 0 errors.

I thought playing with a VPN would be worse but it’s actually not bad performance-wise, as I mentioned I’m going in the same direction as my traffic would anyways, were just wrapping it in an IPSEC tunnel now so we loose a few bytes of MTU and the packet sizes for this game are usually small anyway. The only thing I can speculate is that there is some over sensitivity to jitter or fragmentation that affects some systems and not others. This is a Blizzard problem, and they need to fix it. Turn down the sensitivity setting, THE GAME IS STILL RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND!!! Just do the laggy screen jump and we can all get on with our lives.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice.

I found one provider (proton) that suits my needs. So far D3 on EU is active without dropping the session.

For us in ZA, EU is more responsive, and that 1016 killed off my interest for a good long time. Hope they fix this for real this time, and fast

Update as of now (10:02 PM SAST):
No 1016 on EU via vpn service.

Game still alive

Hello I just want to give my solution to error 1016. I had that error for a long time. It was periodic. Every 1-2 hours of gameplay I would get it. Then watched a old youtube video which suggested I enter the general chat to fix the issue. But I was already in general chat so I decided to leave general chat and since I have not gotten disconected once. I have absolutly no idea why this worked, but it did for me at least. Will keep updated if error resurges.

Error 1016 was regular until last week. It’s no longer the case, although regular disconnections take place when running the game on bit 32, but never on bit 64.