Game crashes frequently, items in inventory do not show images unless clicked and placed back

The game is frequently crashing. I have identified certain things that are guaranteed to trigger it, while other things only sometimes trigger it.

guaranteed:
Clicking my flag in town.
Opening the game menu while in combat with hydras in play and using town portal.

Sometimes:
Going to another window and returning.
Going between warp portals.
Attempting to access inventory while in combat.
Loading screen. The game will occasionally crash while attempting to load a map.

There are 2 different behaviors when it crashes.

Behavior 1: the game begins acting like a broken cd and begins playing the same note and/or sound effect over and over. Frozen screen. When this happens, the application is still running the cursor for diablo III is still active.

Behavior 2: The game sound remains normal. Frozen screen. Cursor returns to default windows, and it can interact with the top most window (for example if you have a browser open behind the game, you can click links in the browser behind the frozen diablo screen though you can’t see what you are clicking.)

In both cases, the windows menu key works. You can interact with windows and even navigate to highlight and view other open windows. I have figured out that I can open the windows menu, press ctrl+shift+esc, open the task manager, use the arrow keys to navigate to the background process for diablo and use the keyboard to shut it down. This is all done blindly using the windows key and hovering over the task manager tab to figure out where you are in the window.

The issue is that when the game crashes, the foreground process is terminated, but the background process is not. This causes the game to think it’s still running.

In addition, ever since the last 2 updates, the inventory space will take up to a full minute to load. If I click an item, it, and all items that share its image, will immediately appear. This is highly annoying and takes managing inventory an extreme burden.

I think the inventory loading delay could be the bit process being used. You can switch between 32 and 64 bit from the app: In 64, the inventory loads normally. In the b/net app go to game settings and try switching between 32 and 64:

32 tends to disconnect a lot at the start and during teleporting, and triggers the inventory lag (at least on my pc)

this… helped. It didn’t get rid of the inventory problem completely, but it decreased it significantly.

Instead of waiting for nearly a minute for inventory to load, I now have to wait 2-10 seconds. Thank you. I will give it more time to see if this fixes anything else.

In addition, I found out something interesting. At first, I thought this hadn’t helped at all… but although I properly changed it in the launcher, I did NOT change it in the windows menu where I had pointed it directly to the exe with -launch in order to bypass the launcher completely. I had to point it into the \x64\Diablo III64.exe folder. Anyone having this problem who has done as I have to bypass the near useless battle.net app needs to make sure to point to this launcher instead of the one sitting in the diablo III folder.