Game freezes during gameplay Windows 10 (version 20H2)

Hi there. I have a problem with freezes while playing. They happen randomly, sometimes I can play 3-4 days without any problems, but sometimes I can get two of them for 8-10 sec per one GR. OS is Windows 10 (version 20H2).
Graphic card Radeon RX580.
Please help! It drives me mad!!! :((((

There is a rather long topic on this issue on the NA Technical Support forum :

The last update by Blizzard is more than 2 months old :

Can you revert back to the OS build that you had before upgrading to 20H2 ?

If you cannot, or are not willingā€¦ there is a workaround developped by a player entailing the replacement of the fmodex64.dll file by one from another game such as Heroes of the Storm or StarCraft 2 or from Ā« somewhere else Ā»ā€¦ see :

and

The side effect of this replacement is that you will lose all sound in the game. The workaround may, or may not, work for you (I know of at least one case where it did not).

2 Likes

Thanks man, I have red all these topics, but to be honest I dont want to play D3 without any sound, its just stupid, and I cant get another version of windows cuz I got a new PC and the only version is available is the one I have. Anyways why do we have to pay for a game and make it without sound in order to play without problems! wtf >_<

OK ā€“ there isnā€™t much more to suggest thenā€¦

Are you using sound from your motherboard with Realtek drivers ? and, if so, does your Graphic card have sound output ports in it ?

The posts by Weeka might be of interestā€¦

Everyone just assumed that it would be only a short while before Blizzard would solve the issueā€¦ and Weeckaā€™s solution was never given a serious try as far as I know (as long as people are willing to play without soundā€¦ why would they ?)ā€¦ and most people donā€™t have an external sound card lying aroundā€¦

So I am only mentioning this out of completenessā€¦ so you get the full picture. Iā€™m not saying it will work for youā€¦ but I think you need to be aware of it.

Perhaps your GPU sound output can fulfill the role of the ā€œexternal sound cardā€. Think about it and see if that is something you might want to try outā€¦ you will need to figure out how to connect your headphones/microphone and/or sound system to your GPU.

Who knowsā€¦ perhaps the next game patch will finally solve the issue :slight_smile: ā€” yeahā€¦ sure !!!

1 Like

Yes, Im using a standard motheboard sound output with Realtek drivers and I donā€™t have any audio outputs on Graphic card. Btw I dont even have any other games from Blizzard to even change that .dll file, and I donā€™t want to buy any, cuz Im already pretty upset with D3 ā€˜,ā€¦,ā€™ Please advise, which version of Windows 10 is OK for D3, is it 1909 version?

Good morning:

Yes, version 1909 is OKā€¦ for now. Microsoft is starting to force owners to upgrade to 2004 howeverā€¦ so, not sure how long before even that alternative disappears.

For the DLL, there are (at least) two possible sources for you :

1 Like

Thanks, but I will lose all sound in the game, I really dont want to go this way, I might just get not licenced 1909, actually Iā€™ve already downloaded it, i just want to make sure it will work, cuz I have reinstall win 10 a million times due to this D3 problem :((( Btw how did u solve your problem with this?

I donā€™t have the problem.

The issue does not affect everyoneā€¦ there are a few frequent posters in the Americas region who are not affected.

In my case, I have another issueā€¦ my Windows 10 is stuck at 1803. When I attempt to upgrade to 1903 or 1909, it crashes. I think the days of my rig are countedā€¦ Microsoft is getting fairly persistent in trying to upgrade my system.

1 Like

Oh I see, well thanks anyways for your help, I might get the 1909 running on my PC this week, not sure tho, so tired of reinstalling this shā€¦t

1 Like

I think you may be able to use the 20H2 license for 1909ā€¦
I know it works ā€œupā€-gradingā€¦ it might also work ā€œdownā€-grading.

1 Like

i re-installed windows 10 formatted the drive then clicked install.i downloaded drivers from my motherboard site example asus rog strix x470-f.then installed my rx5600xt drivers from radeon. I didnā€™t change the time zone bc the updates. but iā€™m playing without freezing and it was bad. good luck all sorry for your toubles