How do I increase single player difficulty?

I curious to know if there is a way to increase the difficulty of single player Diablo III games in a fashion like the /playersX command of Diablo II and Diablo II Resurrected.

What I do now is start a game on my primary computer, then use a secondary machine to enter that game as a second player with one of my alternate accounts.

This way I can artificially “boost” the difficulty of the game by playing my “Prime” character solo, while the secondary hero hangs around in town or at the entrance to rifts.

But this has the disadvantage of not being able to use any of my followers. What I want to be able to do is play in a game with 2, 3 or 4 player monster strengths and difficulties all the while being a genuine SOLO game with my follower tagging along for the ride.

If there is a way of doing this, I haven’t found one… :thinking:

Look at about 3:50 in this video:

The max difficulty is T16… but greater rifts go all the way up to 150.

2 Likes

Can’t be done. It’s a multiplayer thing where monster health increase with numbers of players. Solo there is T16 and then greater rifts up to 150, which should be enough.

1 Like

Pity, really.

T16 has become a joke. I one-shot everything in sight even when equipped with sub-optimal gear.

Greater Rifts are ok but become repetitively tedious after 10 runs or so, resulting in lost interest. Also, Greater Rifts doesn’t give out Bounty Materials or as many gems and gold as do Bounties and Nephalem Rifts.

I really think Blizzard should implement some kind of “/playersX” command so that preferred solo players such as myself can play Bounties at the higher difficulties as though in a four-player team.

I know it’s a stopgap measure, but for now it’s all I can think of to make bounties and Nephalem Rifts somewhat of a challenge.

Once you’ve gotten your “build” together and everything set up, four man bounties at T16 is mostly a one shot fest (and you do split bounties where each player do the bounties by himself easily).

I don’t see why bounties and ordinary rifts wouldn’t become just as tedious as GRs. The way the game is working now is that bounties and rifts are the underlying basis for doing GRs.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: it’s time to go to G25 with 8 or 9 gstones dividend

Addendum to last post.

Before anyone mentions that dividends are divides amongst players, I would gladly share them with Orek

The thing is, bounties and nephalem rifts are meant for farming fast and efficiently. They’re not meant for challenge. The purpose of this is to maximize the amount of keys and materials one receives for the amount of time used doing those activities.

Note that I’m not against increasing the difficulty for these but if it was to happen, it should be done carefully and with moderation. The increased difficulty should in no way harm the farming build diversity.

1 Like

I’m not asking for a change in difficulty at all. There are too many Torment levels as it is.

I’m just asking for the option to have the game “think” there are more players in the game than there actually are, so that solo players can take on the game as though it was a 4-man group without actually having 3 additional players. Similarly, 2 man groups can play as if in a 4 man group…

So, you want to make Rifts harder, without increasing the rewards?
Doesn’t that just mean it takes longer to get your GR keys?

Furthermore our heroes are so strong now that even having a solo-4man-difficulty wouldn’t feel difficult at all if your hero is fully geared.
Only solution is to make your hero weaker by unequipping some items and selecting things in the cube that don’t improve power etc.

Quite. I imagine T25 hypothetically. A level with new items, such as weapons, rings, amulets, and so on, not available in lower levels, guaranteed 15 (ish) legendaries and 7/8 stones (up to double with the appropriate rift stone set on the follower)

A lot of players would still find T25 a walk through, although many players, too, are still struggling on T10.

No one struggles on t10 unless they made a conscious choice to struggle.

Many players are fairly new to d3

And there it is. It’s about getting more resources per Rift, not about increasing the difficulty purely so it’s more of a challenge. Anyway, if we looked at the equivalence of Rift difficulty versus GR difficulty, if T16 is the equivalent of GR75, let’s say each subsequent Torment increase after that is the equivalent of 5 GR ranks. So, T25 would be the equivalent of going up another 50 GR ranks, i.e. GR125. You want to farm GR125 equivalent Rifts for double the rewards of GR75 equivalent Rifts? Even some basic analysis would show that either you could do more than twice as many T16 Rifts in the time taken to do a single T25 Rift, or there’d be so few builds capable of T25 that you’d pigeon-hole people into push builds for farming.

2 Likes

That is why a hypothetical scenario for T25 included items unavailable in hypothetically lower levels, though I was thinking of a name for it - apart from T25. something like “Mandarin level”

So, you’d get items potentially better than primals for doing Rifts? At that point why would people do GRs any more?

Leaderboard prestige and gem upgrades I guess

And that is part of the problem, isn’t it? The power of the heroes are so primarily focused on GRs, that everything else in the game feels like it doesn’t even exist.

Anyway, my whole reasoning behind wanting a feature similar to the Diablo II “/playersX” switch is to be able to play in 2, 3 or 4 man “groups” so that I can avoid playing pickup.

By this I mean that in most instances when I join a public game, I end up doing nothing but running after more powerful heroes that kills everything in sight before I even get a chance to see what is there. So, I pickup all the loot.

Makes for a pretty boring ARPG game where the intent is to kill monsters and pickup the loot…

The only thing to do is play solo or play with like minded people who enjoy taking their time. I only play in public games these days when doing bounties - and then it’s fast, split bounties. Bounties and nephalem rifts are still important parts of the game. Greater rifts can often become a bit tedious when you’re running them over and over just to get exp and, hopefully, a unique drop. If you want the feeling of an epic adventure game maybe D3 is not the best choice.

1 Like