Is it possible to blocklist a server?

Hello,

While I am fishing for a greater rift (pushing solo leaderboard) and leaving and making a new game, I very often happen to get a server with extremely high ping. It’s over 2500 ms latency and it’s consistant and completely unplayable, so I have to make a new game before even opening the greater rift.

I sometimes connect to this same server up to 3-4 times in a row before the game gives me a new server to connect to. This is very lame since leaving the high latency server might take up to 2 minutes and then connecting to that same server just to repeat the slow process.

Is there any technical way for me to block this specific server so I don’t have to deal with connecting to it, since it’s completely unplayable for me? This server is making my solo leaderboard pushing very frustrating and unfun. Have thought about just playing other games but I thought I’d ask here for help before giving up with the game.

Block it in hosts file.

Could you give me more info how to do this. I am not an expert on this subject. Has someone actually done this already or are you just assuming it’s doable?

Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, edit hosts file by adding:
0.0.0.0 123.456.789.123
where 123.456.789.123 is IP you want to block.

Could I get a bluepost confirm that this is allowed and actually works? Or does someone have experience of actually doing this and knowing it works.

A better idea than messing about with hosts files to prevent connection to the individual server that’s got the problem would be for us to identify which servers in the farm are experiencing the problem. You can do this with the standard administrative tools that come with Windows 10.

Windows 10 → Start → Windows Administrative Tools → Resource Monitor

This will start you in the Overview tab of the Resource Monitor
In the Processes with Network Activity section, left-click the column title image to sort it alphabetically
Scroll down until you find Diablo III64.EXE and tick the box to its left
This will now put it to the top of the column
Now click the Network tab and you should see something like this…

Now, choose your hero and start a game. This will cause the client to select one of the available servers in the farm for your game to be hosted on. Once your hero is in-game, alt tab back to Resource Monitor and you’ll see an extra connection, like this…

Make a note of the server IP address your game was hosted on and whether you had good or bad latency. Compile a list of known-good and known-bad server IPs, and post it here. That way Blizzard’s technicians know which of the servers in the farm are experiencing problems and hopefully they can address it for all the players, rather than individual players trying to avoid the problem servers by messing with their HOSTS file.

1 Like

Here is the IP of the bad server: 37.244.33.166

I stayed on this server for over 15 minutes and the ping was constantly over 2500. Also asked my friend to join my game. Took him over a minute to get through the loading screen and he had over 3000 ping. He lives on the opposite side of Europe from me.

0.0.0.0 37.244.33.166
Problem solved.

You think this works or you know this works? Also this doesn’t mess up my game in any way, right?

I block spam servers in hosts file since Windows XP. Many people do. I see no reason why it wouldn’t work or mess something for you.