D4 has run out of RAM?

After some playing the used “Committed” memory was 37 GB!

“Used” by the game was 12 GB, but used “Committed” is 37 (total).

• “Used”/“In use” memory parameter is not representative. Ignore it. (Sadly, the most of people only look at this parameter.)
  • "Committed" memory parameter is representative. If you disable/limit the swapfile, any program may fall with the “out of memory” error even while multiple gigabytes of “Used” memory will be “free”.

So, the game requires A LOT of memory, either physical RAM/VRAM, or at least as the swap file (page file) as a cache on SSD.

1060 6 GB, 24 RAM, unlimited swapfile, the game is on SATA SSD, 1080p. Maximal settings. (All programs are closed, only Windows 10 takes 3 GB.)

I have fine FPS (~70, fantastic), but the games have the very notable count of lags. It seems the game loads some data at these moments. Into the swap file on SSD.

After moving the game on NVMe SSD and with using medium preset of textures the lag count was notable decreased, as well as the memory use.

Hey blizzard
Maybe its time to start hiring people who can read feedback from users on forum???
6 crashed in 60 min due to run out of memory.

The same problem: run out of RAM
Maximum graphics quality
CPU AMD 7900
RAM 32GB
Video AMD 6800XT
Committed RAM rise 32GB and game crash

same issue
win10
ryzen 7 3800x
32GB
RX6800XT 16Gb

best solution atm is to set textures to mid or low, cause textures eating ur RAM

this is not normal that game of this kind eat more then 32 GB this is soo funny xd hope they will fix this quickly

This whole problem is crazy. I’m running a 1080 GTX with 8G VRAM and 32G of RAM on Windows10 and I havent seen this error once. I played for 4 hours yesterday. But I cant play with my friend because even though we have the same memory on his machine for both VRAM and system memory he runs out of memory in like 10 minutes. And his cards a 3070Ti. We cant do anything co op AT ALL. So is this just affecting newer generation cards because my old cards running very high settings and no problem…

System 1
CPU i7 13700KF
MOBO Asus z690F
RAM Corsair 32GB 6400mhz CL32
GPU EVGA 3060 Ti
HDD P41 Plat 2TB

System 2
CPU i7 11700K
MOBO Asus z590
RAM Corsair 32GB 3600mhz CL16
GPU ASUS 1660 Ti
HDD SN850x 2TB

Both systems experience a massive page file memory usage. I have seen up to 60GB consumed from the page file alone with minimal programs in the background. Games are stored on a second nvme SSD. Even the very fast primary drives page file is not able to keep the stuttering down. I have not seen any crashes with the page file unrestricted, but the page file usage is absolutely excessive and puts strain on its lifecycles.

Edit:
After rising pagefile to 16GB the game does not crashed anymore.
I’ve capped the frames to 73 and everything on “High” at 2560x1080.

100% unplayable, barelly can move the character even on low text, can handle heavier games like elden ring, lost ark, with no prob att all, but game freezes all the time at any action

32Gig Ram, GTX2060 (6GB)
My system RAM usage hit 30Gig amd Diablo 4 crashed saying out of memory… I hope they can optimise and/or remove the memory leak.
The crash happened as it was trying to load in another zone, it gets all juddery (technical term) between zones.

32GB RAM + 4070Ti and I have to run on Low settings to avoid the game using all of my system’s memory. It’s at least playable like this, but certainly a pretty dramatic bug.

60GB being written to a SSD or Nvme everytime you play the game is going to hammer its lifecyle. Just installing the 72GB beta took 1% off my SSD’s expected life, and it’ll probably be another 1% when I install the actual game, all these 1%'s add up for total writes before failure on Nvme and SSD’s.

Correction It was Borderlands 3, a Virtual Machine and Diablo 4 beta I installed on the new SSD and it was at 99% life remaining after that, about 300GB of write, so that would be about a week of Diablo 4 constantly using the pagefile as per your experience.

32 Ram here, game crashes and reports out of memory but neither fills ram nor virtual memory (max 19gb usage with system and background tasks), graphic card memory usage is very high (80-90%).

What I noticed that game hammers ‘Virtual Memory Load’ to 99.9% and keeps it there until it crashes or freezes OS and other background tasks, I don’t know why it makes system behave like that when it has plenty of free ram to use.

Here two systems:
CPU : Ryzen R7 1700 @ Stock
Cooler: AMD Wraigh (the one you got with R9 3900X)
Mem: 16GB Corsair (2x8) @ 2999MTT on QVL of ASUS
MB: ASUS X370 PRIME PRO (latest FW)
Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB (1 x M2. 1x SATA)
GPU: Asus Radeon RX 580 Strix OC 8GB
Issues: After setting texture size to low game is playable, after approx 20 minutes game crashes with out of memory and system can only be reset by powering off or hitting reset button.

CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 5950X with OC
Cooler: Corsair H150. Elite Cappalix LCD
Memory: 64GB Corsair @ 3800 (2x 32GB) at ASUS QVL
MB: ASUS x570 PRIME PRO (not last FE because that kills PPT)
Storage: 2 x Samsung 980PRO NVME 2TB
GPU: Gigabyte 6900XT 16GB Gaming
Issues: Even with texture at medium crash of game after 60 minutes, crash after 2 hours when texture on low, with texture on high then game cannot be played.

Always select the SSD om TBW. Like Samsung EVO versus EVO PRO, same capacity but different TBW. Avoid 3-bit (TLC) or 4-bit (QLC) drives because they wear out faster than MLC and SLC. Although SLC is much to expensive for consumer market (and limited in TB per Drive).

Everything less than 600 TBW per Terrabyte disk is asking for issues and indeed wearing out your SSD quickly.

Imagine to get 1% lifetime loss of a 600TBW 1TB disk you need to write 6TB. When using an MLC disk, those values are approx 1200TB per disk (that what I use in my home lab ESX). So with a good quality MLC you have 1200TB /per TB and with SLC you can expect approx 2000TBW/TB.

They should fix this because they will scrap a lot of cheap low TBW disks with this behaviour. I noticed after playing 2 hours that a stunning 850GB was written to disk (paging). On a cheap SSD playing this game for 20 hours will cost approx 1-1.5% of lifetime.

This is a big issue. I have two systems, one system runs fine with almost no swapping, and with Diablo 4. It was terrible. The other system with 64GB of RAM was also not usable with pagefile disabled (why paging if having memory).

I would warn people with cheaper SSD’s with either QLC or TLC (with low TBW under 600TBW) not to play this game until it is fixed

I have 64 Gb of ram and I don’t have any problem except for small fps drops every few minutes. Overall memory usage when I’m playing is 28-32Gb where Diablo itself takes over 17GB, I haven’t noticed Diablo using more than 18Gb yet.
I play 2K with all options at max. Pagefile set to 8gb.

It’s a 1TB Samsung Evo, Brand New, only loaded 300GB on it. It’s not an o/s drive so its not constantly in use, just select games, project files and a virtual machine that’s barley used.

Current total host writes are 469GB and total host reads are 1.2TB, drive life remaining 99%.

To be fair it could be 99.98% drive life remaining and it always rounds down if its not got the full percent available, but I’m just going by what it shows.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.