I support a Liberated Hong Kong. Does Blizzard?

Generally, this topic wouldn’t fit in a gaming discussion forum but since Blizzard has made it political by banning Blitzchung for speaking out in support of a liberated Hong Kong, I can’t help but ask: Do they not support the people of Hong Kong in their struggle for basic rights and freedoms that we in the west take for granted?

Because I definitely am.

#FreedomHK #FreeBlitzchung

31 Likes

How do you support it, exactly?

3 Likes

By using china made products in his every day life, i Guess :smiley:

3 Likes

He supports it by just stating the above. I support your support friend.

8 Likes

What is the impact of his support and your support of his support?

3 Likes

What is the impact of a single vote, in comparison with the votes of a whole country?

4 Likes

That is a false equivalence. A vote has consequences in the context of an election. For instance, one of the things that most people don’t note is that by voting in one option, you are effectively downvoting all the others.

Forum posts have no consequences. So I ask again, what are you doing that has a consequence?

I’m not asking this to prove you wrong or because I don’t agree with you. I’m asking this because I’m quite active myself in a number of issues that I feel strongly about. This is not the medium where you can be effective in your activism. On one hand because it is inconsequential (unless there’s a tipping point which I don’t see happening), on the other hand because even people that may agree with you and that are here just for the game they like will be less likely to be supportive out of sheer annoyance.

Inconsequential and losing support; or consequential and gathering support. Your call.

5 Likes

I fully understand what you say, but I strongly disagree. We were talking about the level of impact of this post, and the analogy of the elections was spot on regarding the size of impact. What was the impact of a Grandmaster stating his support loudly through a politically irrelevant interview? What about his impact? Is it because more people saw it? Did they expect to hear that in a blizzard related interview? Weren’t people “less supportive out of sheer annoyance”?

Forum posts are one of the many ways to voice my opinion. I personally feel I’m in the heart of the people I want to move, those who are still asleep. Those who still ask irrelevant questions about an unimportant game while our important freedom is taken away grain by grain. And also, this is a General channel and people should expect to see general content here, even regarding politics. There are other sections of the forum, that I can’t touch for respect of being out of topic.

So this is my call.

2 Likes

Why dont you get off this forum and go liberate it then?

2 Likes

What you people don’t understand, is that he is doing it right now. You don’t have to protest outside, just state your opinion anywhere. It’s all about changing other people’s minds. If one person changes their mind, I say it’s a win. Even if others state that this is the wrong place to do it. I say it’s the perfect place.

6 Likes

Gaming should be a break from reality.
I want my World of Warcraft to be about Azeroth
I want my Heroes of the Storm to be about the Nexus
Etc Etc Etc

Blitz brought his reality into virtual reality.

#FreedomForGamers #FreeGamersFromPoliticsandReligion

7 Likes

@Vengeful

Mate, thank you for your thoughtful answer. I deeply and truly appreciate the time you took to read and address my points. We do disagree, not about the crux but the medium, so I will leave the matter of our disagreement rest. On one hand I believe we both made our points clear. On the other hand discussing the medium distracts everyone else from the actual crux.

I wish you the best.

3 Likes

I don’t really want to stand with a group of anarchist, bordering terrorist. The attacks they are carrying out right now would of gotten them shoot immeditelly if they were in the US (police self defence). Acid attacks and petrol bombs attaks. Encouraging bullying against children of police for just doing their job, attacking those that disagree with them.

2 Likes

Exactly this. Right or wrong, political views, KEEP them out of games!!

5 Likes

What if Blizzard lets say sold a “Blizzard Pride Pin” to benefit a “suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ youth”. Some might see that as a political thing.

That means that Blizzard is already involved in social or political issues.

4 Likes

But it isnt, not everyone in the world wants to spend their lifes protesting. Do you know how many horribles issues there are in the world? Way too many to count, if you feel strongly enough about it, go do something about it. Writing on hearthstone forums will do absolutely nothing to solve the issue.

1 Like

Hypothetically, why wouldn’t this method be able to raise awareness, leading to more people quitting, resulting in a drop in profit?

2 Likes

You have to realise that if there are stupid people in a group, it does not invalidate the cause of the whole group.

In order to solve the issue, more supporters must raise their voice. More people have to feel empathy about others’ loss of freedom. We must stop being these arrogant, indifferent pricks that all they care about is their share. We have to be conscious about our world, even if it’s a bit hard to swallow. It’s exactly what you said, there are many problems in the world, but we are SO divided, that they all seem impossible to solve! Join the protest. One upvote in reddit blizzard-china flag is enough. I swear it’s enough.

1 Like

With thoughts and prayers of course