Naxxramas: RELOADED

Came up with some custom class cards for because each class only got one each. I just like making cards. May do this for the other old solo adventures. What is balance these days?

Oh yeah. It’s all coming together.

The moral of this story? Never pick up creepy looking swords in the middle of a snowstorm.

WHEEZE.

Freeze Shaman, eh? DUST

Although Sylvanas did coax him into betraying his dreadlord brothers, he was always tempted ever since Mal’Ganis stole his card art.

Guess who’s back? Back in CHARGE!

2 Likes

I like Sapphiron and Varimathras best, even though Vari is totally broken as a warlock card.

however it doesn’t seem right to make Naxx cards with poisonous and rush. this didn’t exist back then, so those cards don’t seem authentic.

also I’d suggest the Arthas ability for druid with treants. I think this fits better because it’s a poison seeds with a body. but I’m biased towards druid and against Paladin, so this might be a rubbish opinion :smiley:

but good job on the cards. keep them coming :wink:

Stares at maexxna’s poisonous keyword

I joke, i know it got changed to poisonous later on but it did exist, albeit in a simple format so yea the giving poisonous wouldnt work as that would have instead been a big ol pile of text and the concept of rush wasnt until the grand tournament i belive with the cant attack heros stuff so rush is a definite nope

Here’s my two cents on every class legendary I can come up with. The names that are not in bold are purely conceptual.

Druid: One of the green dragons. I forgot their name.
Hunter: Stitches
Mage: Kael’thas Sunstrider?
Paladin: Death Knight Arthas
Priest: Another Sally Whitemane?
Rogue: Nathanos Blightcaller?
Shaman: Sapphiron
Warlock: Varimathras
Warrior: Festergut?

Stitches is feign death with an additional 4/4 body, making it a good play if you have a Sneed or Oblivitron on board. I considered making his own effect a Deathrattle instead of a Battlecry, and I’m still a bit unsure to tell you the truth.

Arthas was tricky. I wanted to give him the same stats as the Lich King, and I wanted to do Deathrattle paladin a service. However, I also wanted to capture the purging of stratholme too. I’m still biting my old God tendril-nails in frustration over the possibility that I may just have to completely rework his design. Argh, Arthas is such a headache!

Sapphiron has to be my favourite of the bunch. Shaman has hardly any class specific dragons, if hunter can have Emeriss, why can’t Shaman have Sapphiron? Not only that, but I wanted it to equal in power to Sindragosa. 8-mana 8/8 ice dragon. But where Sindragosa gives you some additional value by popping the iced legendaries, I wanted Shaman to have yet another board clear tool. And then I thought to myself: FREEZE SHAMAN, FREEZE DRAGON SHAMAN. I’m still giggling at the thought of playing Sapphiron while Moorabi’s on board and your opponent has a board full of great minions. It seems fair that Kelthuzad’s Frost Dracolich gets just as much attention as the Lich King’s.

Varimathras, the poor guy! Mal’Ganis stole his card art! Time to ally with the Forsaken and betray demon kind! Now, I know what you’re saying Khisana: 3-mana 4/5 OP. I get that. But I think it’s fine when blended with an effect like that. Lackeys are useless. Heck, ANY beneficial Battlecry is useless. But this can be worked around. Build a self harm deck and slip Varimathras into the board on turn 3! Tempo! That Pit Lord you just played on turn 4 didn’t even scratch you! Better yet, cast treachery on him and voila! Instant Shudderwock Shaman concede! I love the flavour of this second combo as Varimathras DID join Sylvanas and betrayed his dreadlord brothers in WoW. Just more combo-breaking shenanigans, I suppose.

I didn’t even consider the stats when I called this broken. the effect is brokenly strong in warlock.

I’m thinking about stuff like Vari + Doomguard + 2x Power Overwhelming = 14 charge damage (and a body left on board).

or if you have those 4 cards and a faceless manipulator in hand, you can play thaurissan and get a 10 mana 28 damage charge combo.

Keep in mind you’re talking to someone who’s biased to Warlock. I designed Varimathras to be your average value minion with a drawback that can work to your advantage. Warlock has these sort of cards in spades. I expect such a basic concept to be as early as Naxxramas, but Blizzard probably hasn’t sensed this opportunity like I have.

WARLOCK CARD BALANCED.
ME NO BIAS.
ME BIG BRAIN.

Personally, I don’t see an issue.

Naxxramas is a wild set. Both Doomguard and Power Overwhelming are in the Hall of Fame. I designed Varimathras with the valid assumption that he’ll theoretically never see the light of Standard format. Wild format is just a chaotic war-zone of broken combos. Surely another won’t really make much of a difference?

Well, Khisana…
Someone’s been watching too many hysteriA videos. :joy:

I view him as an insane value minion with a bonus that can work to your disadvantage ;D

seriously though. a 4/5 on turn 3 is very good. then comes your turn 4 and if your opponent didn’t spend any resources to kill off your 4/5, you can trade and play a non-battlecry card. next turn you kill off your 4/5 by trading and play on normally.

that’s the on-curve play. or you use it as a combo enabler later on.

it does seem like a basic concept, but I’m equally surprised that it hasn’t been implemented yet because I think it’s a phantastic and creative idea. so if it sounds like I’m talking sh!t about this card, I really am not. I like it very much. but in 1 out of 9 classes I find it to be broken.

yes. now it is. it’s just that I remember the times when it wasn’t. when wild mode was literally the only thing that kept me from leaving the game for good. apart from my first week in hearthstone, this was the most fun experience I ever had in this game.

but realistically speaking you’re right. it’s a damn §&!$show now and one more won’t hurt.

probably. but that’s not me. my total view count of the dude is 0. I only heard of the name in this forum because I think Toad or Vlad mentioned him a couple of times.

Manipulators battlecry won’t trigger unless you kill your Vari.
Also, 5+4+4 is 13 damage.

1 Like

yea, I must’ve had leeroy in mind for the calculation.

After a night of big brain thinking, I’ve decided to change the effect of Varimathras. His effect should now read:

Your minion’s Battlecries and Deathrattles do NOT trigger

This could be seen as a nerf as now Varimathras has to be played in a warlock deck that doesn’t use beneficial Battlecries or Deathrattles, but I can see how this could be a BUFF to the Self-Harm decks and the Treachery Combo, just like how I intended.

An interesting topic. Thanks for making these cards, ChaosComedy. The artwork alone is already pretty impressive!

Here are my thoughts on the cards from a gameplay perspective.

Stitches: Needs much better stats. Most Deathrattles are beneficial, so if my card triggers the deathrattles of the enemy, they typically gain an advantage. I want to be compensated for that. As a 5 mana 6/6 or 7/6, I would consider playing it. (Both in ranked and in arena). As a 5 mana 5/6, it might see play as a tech counter if there is a meta where you can break your opponent’s combo this way, but that is highly situational.

Arthas: Can be used to effectively buff your own Silver Hand Recruits and at the same time weaken your opponent’s minions, but its high mana cost means it’s hard to combine with summoning lots of cheap stuff first. Which is good, otherwise the card would be too strong. I think it’s fairly balanced.

Gut Buster: Can be very strong, but has the low stats to compensate for that. Okay. (But can be depressing to play against)

Sapphiron: LIke Arthas, has the potential to be extremely strong when you manage to freeze the board first, but the mana cost to make that hard to pull off. I like this one too. It might be too strong still … perhaps it should be 9 mana, or 7/7 or so?

Varimathras: Both the original and the modified version of it would be good and balanced in most classes, but in Warlock it’s probably too strong. You already mention that you designed this card to disable the self-damaging battlecries of many other Warlock cards, and that’s exactly why it’s OP. A 3 mana 4/5 that allows you to play your Doomguard, Felguard, Flame Imp, etc all without their downside … nope.

Hooked!: +3 attack for just 1 mana might be a tad too strong, perhaps make it +2 instead? I do like the Pirate synergy. (Technical feedback: the text on the card should read “If it is a Pirate, give it Rush”)

Varimathras is still OP. I think a 3/4 would be fair as you could slot it in a zoo deck where the effect is gona be 25% good 25% bad 50% neutral so giving it the “fair” stat line seems appropriate.

All the others seem nicely balanced and are interesting. Not a fan of Hooked! but I don’t like blessing of might so that’s just my own bias coming into play :smile:

New hearthstone update!

Something something new content something something card bundle something something give us your money something something upcoming tavern brawl.

Balance changes to cards from the Naxxramas: Reloaded set, as well as new cards. Since the device I’m currently posting on is more primitive than my PC, I cannot provide art just yet.

Willow Wisp
Common Druid Minion, 0-mana 1/1
Lifesteal
Aspirin to achieve great things!

Circle of Life
Common Druid Spell, 4-mana
Restore 4 health to ALL minions. Draw 2 cards.
Sure, Anduin. That healing spell may be pretty good…
But can YOU sing!?

Bogwarden
Rare Druid Minion, 5-mana 3/3 Elemental
Taunt, Choose One: Gain Lifesteal, OR Deal 3 damage.
As the young female Orc laid dying, sinking into the swampy waters, the bog man stood over her, watching, waiting…

Bonetusk Boar
Common Hunter Minion, 1-mana 1/0 Beast
Charge, Deathrattle: Add a random beast to your hand.
“Why my boar die? Me couldn’t go face!”

Stitches
Legendary Hunter Minion, 5-mana 4/4
Battlecry and Deathrattle: Trigger your friendly minion’s Deathrattles
“Oh yeah, it’s all coming together.”

Nathanos Blightcaller
Legendary Hunter Minion, 8-mana 5/5
Battlecry: If your hero power has dealt 12 damage this game, summon Sylvanas Windrunner
Braincells is not something one normally has when playing hunter decks. But this… does make me go face.

Crisp
Common Mage Minion, 0-mana 1/1 Elemental
Freeze any character damaged by this minion
Like a Wisp, but WAY cooler.

Half-Life
Rare Paladin Spell, 1-mana
Summon a random friendly minion that died this game and set it’s attack and health to 2.
Gaben pls.

Tragic Commander
Common Paladin Minion, 2-mana 3/0
Charge, Deathrattle: Summon 2 1/1 Silver Hand Recruits
Top 10 saddest Anime deaths

The Queen of Val’Kyr
Legendary Paladin Minion, 6-mana 6/6
At the start of your turn, summon a random friendly minion that died this game.
Suffers from Latern-inflicted PTSD.

Pouch of coins
Common Rogue Weapon, 2-mana 0/1
Deathrattle: Add two coins to your hand.
Well-deserved victory.

Vanessa VanCleef
Legendary Rogue Minion, 3-mana 2/2
Battlecry: You’ve played 3 more cards this turn.
Going face was your first mistake.

Akama
Legendary Rogue Minion, 5-mana 5/5
Stelath, Battlecry: Return all other friendly minions to your hand. They cost (2) less.
"Illidan was their lead singer, Kael’thas played guitar, Lady Nazjar did the keyboard and he was the drummer. Good times.

(Everyone, including myself has mis-spelt his name until I corrected this post on the 10th October. Yikes.)

Shadow Giant
Rare Rogue Minion, 8-mana 8/8
Costs (1) less for ever other card you’ve played this turn.
Lemme just APM real quick…

Frotem
Common Shaman Minion, 2-mana 0/3 Totem
At the end of your turn, Freeze a random enemy minion.
To and Fro! But never Scro…

Nerubian Bloodcarver
Rare Shaman Minion, 3-mana 2/5
Whenever you take damage on your turn, summon a random basic Totem.
Don’t ask him how he makes the totems…

Ner’Zhul, The Frozen King
Legendary Shaman Minion, 8-mana 8/8
Whenever you would Overload a mana crystal, deal 1 damage to your hero instead.
Don’t do Fel, kids…

Fel Giant
Epic Warlock Minion, 0-mana 8/8 Demon
Lifesteal, Costs (1) more for every card in your deck.
(Life Tap Intensifies)

Vampirism
Common Warlock Spell, 2-mana
Give a friendly minion Lifesteal. Draw a card.
“No! For the last time, you will NOT sparkle in the sun!”

Soul Catcher
Common Warlock Minion, 3-mana 1/3 Demon
Battlecry: Destroy a friendly minion. Gain an empty mana crystal.
Ok, so a Warlock and a Druid walk into tavern…

Nerubian Cultist
Common Warlock Minion, 3-mana 2/3
Battlecry: Destroy one of your mana crystals to reduce your hero power’s damage by 1.
What does mana taste like? Is it salty? Is it sweet? Does it pop in your mouth? We will never know…

Varimathras
Legendary Warlock Minion, 3-mana 4/4 Demon
Your Minions’ Battlecries and Deathrattles do not trigger.
Joined Sylvanas and betrayed his Dreadlord brothers because Mal’Ganis stole his card art.

Sinister Seance
Epic Warlock Spell, 5-mana
Add 3 random demons to your hand.
What is a Luigi board?

Pretentious Pain(ter)
Rare Warlock Minion, 6-mana 4/4 Demon
Whenever your hero takes damage during your turn, draw a card.
“I’m just gonna paint the hell out of it!”

Tichondrius
Legendary Warlock Minion, 9-mana 4/12 Demon
Taunt, Lifesteal, whenever you discard this, deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and return this to your hand.

Small-time Scallywag
Common Warrior Minion, 0-mana 1/1 Pirate
"Do what you want 'cause this pirate is free!

Hooked!
Epic Warrior Spell, 1-mana
Give a friendly minion +1 attack, if it is a Pirate, give it Charrrge!
(Happy Patches Noises)

Crossbones
Rare Warrior Spell, 2-mana
Draw a card, if it is a Pirate, repeat this.
Duroh! Pirate cardo!

Reckless Reinforcement
Common Warrior Spell, 3-mana
Draw a card and gain armour equal to the card’s mana cost.
I am irony man.

Chittering Tactician
Common Warrior Minion, 4-mana 2/4
Your spells cost (2) less, but not less than 1.
“Why not less than- DON’T… QUESTION ME.”

Jolly Roger
Legendary Warrior Minion, 5-mana 4/4 Pirate
Battlecry: For the rest of the game, your Pirates are 4/4.
How bad! How bad can this possibly be!?

Demolatrix X-11
Legendary Warrior Minion, 7-mana 5/7 Mech
Whenever you cast a spell, add a random warrior spell to your hand.
NEVER GIVE A TANK SENTIENCE.

I’m keeping Arthas and Sapphiron the same as for the sake of flavour, I wanted to keep their stat lines completely identical to their frozen throne counterparts (The Lich King and Sindragosa, respectively). Varimathras doesn’t need a severe change, and, just like Garrosh Hellscream, Gut Buster did nothing wrong.

Kama is extremely weak, I think it could be 6 mana and see no play in any deck.

All the others seem like very printable cards :slightly_smiling_face:

How about 5? :wink:

In a non-singleton deck, he’d just be equivalent to a Stranglethorn Tiger statwise. In a singleton deck, he’s a better version of Barista Lynchen with added stealth.

What’s your favourite cards of the bunch and why?

Reckless Reinforcement should be 3 mana, it’s basically a rng shield block and the extra potential armor isn’t worth the extra mana.

Highlander is a pretty big set back, plus he’s Rogue only so can be BL+.

I really like Fel Giant. I guess I like it the most because it feels like a new mechanic that thematically fits. Even though all the other cards are very solid, they just feel like combination of cards x-y-z that we’ve seen before put together. Not that there’s anything wrong with that and you need those cards in sets, it’s just new mechanics, even if the cards are bad are what I enjoy the most.

Reckless reinforcement is now 3 mana and Kama doesn’t have the highlander requirement for his effect.

Gotta say, I like Fel Giant as well, of all the cards I made, it’s one of my favourite non-legendary that I came up with. Alongside Frotem, Vampirism and Tragic Commander. The idea of a Fel Giant deck would just be to draw your whole deck, get to fatique, and play both Fel Giants for 0 mana and use their Lifesteal attacks to restore any health you may lose at the start of fatique. Archivist Elysiana Warlock with Fel Giant in there. Better yet, play Guild Recruiter to recruit a minion that costs (4) or less into a free 8/8 demon with Lifesteal. That is worth a Ben Brode laugh and a half, amirite?

1 Like

I’m curious to hear your opinion on the cards I spat out of my many many mouths, my Annoy-O-Tron Amigo.

Its needs more annoy-o’s

Ok enough jokes, cards i dont mention means i didnt see any problems with them or i just thought “thats neat”

No problem with this one, i like it mainly cause thats some good flavor text

As much as i love this card i dont thing a 0 health minion would ever work, i mean yea if you get handbuff maybe but i dont think 0 health minion would ever be played, instead maybe have it as a 0/1 start of your turn add a random beast to your hand, so it would be like beasts are attracted to the dead boar.

Cool idea, sounds like a very chill minion… yea i know sorry for the puns, just dont give me the cold shoulder

As i mentioned before, 0 health is something that I think wouldnt work well, so maybe just have it as a 3 mana, 3/1 (maybe remove charge)

This is actually a pretty neat idea, use 2 mana, store it in a bag for later use

I like it but with the “take damage on your turn” bit doesnt really suit shamman as that a mechanic for warlock, but hey who knows, maybe rafaam taught hagatha some tricks

Great card with slight problem of rng as now theres a chance for a 0 mana 8/8 when devolving, also mage could cheese out 8/8 by using conjures calling on wisps

favorite card, even if i dont play rouge that much pouch of coins just sounds like an amezing idea

Annoy-o-trons only came into the game in GvG.
After Naxxramas. I know you joke tho. :smiley:
Any ideas for custom cards yourself? I’m doing Blackrock Mountain custom cards next after I complete the set, after that I may suggest making Solo Adventures for expansions like Gadgetzan, Ungoro and Old Gods.

Seriously tho, when was the last time we saw Anduin singing? Exactly.

I don’t know. Ask SHEERCOLD. :clown_face:

I fail to see the problem with 0 health minions. They die the moment after they’re summoned. They’d almost always have Deathrattles, and handbuffing them should reward them with something they wouldn’t normally be able to do. Don HanCho would approve.

Nobody:
Thrall and Valeera:

Shamans have weapons. And Dr Boom put lasers on Hagatha’s wasps, so it could happen.

In fairness, I did just make Willow Wisp, Crisp and Small-time Scallywag to reduce the chances but a little RNG never hurt anyone. Don’t believe Yogg Saron?
Just ask the strongest Old God himself…

Yeah, he seems fine with it.

1 Like