Silent disconnects on iOS since patch

tl;dr
Can someone link to the official blizzard response to the silent mobile disconnect issue?

I appreciate this is a well known problem in the latest update but for those who don’t know-
On iOS and Android devices the game will silently disconnect mid game meaning that if you don’t realise what’s happened the game will eventually end and you lose through a disconnect. If it’s your turn you can quickly see it’s happened because you can’t complete your turn. If you do realise in time you can restart the app and if you’re lucky you haven’t missed your turn. This has always been a problem on iOS, but happened very rarely. Since the most recent update it happens every 2-3 games for me. There’s several reddit threads on the problem.

But the reason I’m posting here is that I’m looking for the official blizzard response to this problem, assuming there is one. I’ve seen the blue thread about crashing on iOS, but a silent disconnect isn’t really crashing because the UI is still interactive (can open option menu, can see friends list, can browse cards in hand and hover over played cards for zoom in art).

Thanks

2 Likes

I have the same problem. I have an Android phone and sometimes in games I get those silent disconnects. And most of the time you notice it when it’s too late. Because you keep getting the emotes, but the rope just never starts.

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in a future fix because like OP. I lost a few games with it.

2 Likes

silent disconnects. ive been getting those but i like the way you phrase it , i posted earlier suffering from the same issue on android, this is very infuriating for me.

Having the exact same problem on my iPad Air 2.
However, closing the game and relaunching for it to reconnect doesn’t work.
Instead, I get a message directly in the main menu after restarting the game which is telling me I lost my last game due to a disconnect.
Haven’t really realized this is a thing up until now. Just deleted the game and re-downloading it now.
If that doesn’t help, I’ll wipe the entire iPad and re-install everything.
Lost too many (arena) games and even Brawliseum because of this crap…

I’m experiencing this exact problem on my iPhone XR running iOS 13.6. At least twice per game the connection will be lost. It usually only takes about 4 seconds to reconnect but sometimes it can take longer or get stuck until I force quit and reopen the app. I’ve also experienced freezing, where I can interact with the game board but I’m unable to make any moves.

I’ve tested against a laptop and an Android on the same wifi connection, in the same location in my house. The problem only happens on iOS and didn’t occur on the same device when I last played the game about 18 months ago.

I had hoped such a game-breaking high priority bug would be addressed quickly, but it’s still present weeks later. Is there any indication that this bug is being addressed, or is Blizzard content losing all its mobile users?

I’m sorry to hear that you have been seeing disconnections on your iPhone. Given the age of this thread however, it is unlikely that any issue which other players were receiving are related (even though they are very similar).

Give that you are seeing disconnections, reinstalling the game may help. Similarly, it could be worthwhile to test if this occurs on your phones 3g/4g connection along with being tethered to your other android device (if it is a phone) to see if this helps avoid the disconnections. This could help you narrow down if this is a network issue or specific to your device.

For now, as the thread is originally rather old, I’ll be locking it out.