MacOS Mojave cannot use voice chat

Hi. Ever since I’ve installed the MacOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro early 2015, I can no longer use the HotS voice chat (which worked flawlessly before). Apparently with the release of the new OS, apps need a permission to access files or certain components of the machines, e.g. microphone in this case. This permission cannot be granted outside the app itself and so the app must ask for it. So I’m currently stuck in this weird scenario, where there is likely no solution as of now. I tried all the usual troubleshooting steps, none of them worked. Then I found out online that people from other games such as LoL and Fortnite experience the same issue with the new OS.

Can you suggest me something that might solve the problem outside the common steps (which I’ve tried), or does this issue have to be resolved with a small patch?

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Yeah, I have the same problem. My Voice Chat suddenly stops working after I updated my MacOS to Mojave. It worked fine before. Please help with the workaround.

1 Like

So this appears to be due to the new security in 10.14

There is a pop-up dialog that appears when the app tries to access microphones for most apps - it doesn’t seem to do that for HOTS.

The temporary workaround I’ve done for this is to use the Voice Channel with friends in there Battle.net.app. to set up a voice channel.

I’m unsure how to get it for the Heroes of the Storm App though.

Just solved it.

Launch the game. Change the mode to Window’d mode (not full screen). Launch an AI match, then when the game starts move the HOTS window and you will see a MacOS dialog asking if you want to allow access to your microphone. Select Yes.

You can then change back to full screen and the problem is resolved for good.

Greetings Liamus!

Thanks for contacting us.

The following solution may be considered:

1. Go to your System Preferences.
  2. Click on Security & Privacy.
  3. On Privacy tab select Accessibility from left menu
  4. Unlock the dialog to make changes and choose to allow Heroes of the Storm to control the computer.
  5. Confirm introduced changes.

Best regards

I found that I needed to do both things. I initially allowed HoTS to control the computer in the Accessibility menu but that didn’t fix the problem. I think followed @ekimekimekim’s solution. The system dialog only popped for me as the AI game was exiting, but that did indeed solve the problem (after a further game restart after allowing mic access).

Hi,

Exactly the same issue, but NO dialogue pops up at any time.
Tried:

• Windowed mode
  • Wiping HOTS (including the folder in Application Support) and re-installing the game
  • Adding HOTS to Accessibility options
  • Starting a game v AI (co-op) in a windowed mode/enabling voice chat
  • Reseting microphone permissions in Terminal with by typing

tccutil reset Microphone

So far, nothing works. The dialogue to allow access popped up for the Battlenet app but never shows for HOTS

Is there a command line argument to force the dialogue?

iMac 27" Late 2015, macOS 10.14

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried everything as well and no success… Any help?

Is it possible that the hot patch that implemented the fix was taken off by mistake when 39.2 came online?

1 Like

Still doesn’t work for me either. I’ve tried a lot of fixes that have been proposed in the forums, like changing to windowed view and looking for a dialog box asking for microphone permissions (never shows up, before or after playing games). I did the accessibility change the moderator listed above, and it did nothing. MacBook Pro mid 2014, started with Mojave macOS 10.14 upgrade.

1 Like

Still not working. No plans to fix this huh? just can’t use mic anymore

I followed what @Madkipar did but I also saw a “Microphone” tab under the Privacy settings which I also allowed whichever game (csgo/steam in my case) access to and that fixed my months long problem of not being able to talk in game.

Happy to hear that Tyus, but please do not bump such old threads. :slight_smile:

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!