Unable to install battlenet/hots

I have had this problem for a long time since an update earlier this year. I originally could not update hots and the error that I got at the time said that it could not connect to blizzard.

So I tried everything on the suggested solution page and even some things that have been suggested in forums. But I had no luck, so I resorted to uninstalling hots and the blizzard installer which was a big mistake because now I can’t even install the installer to re-install hots. I have even updated my os from windows XP to 10 to try and get the game to work but I still had no luck.

I ended up giving up on trying to make it work for a while, but I really miss the game and would love to start playing again. Can someone please try to help me make hots work again?

Hello Sithik,

What is happening when you try to install the App? Are you getting any error message?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Hi Kiemmaki,

Thank you for getting back to me, when I try to install the blizzard app it gets about two thirds of the way into updating the blizzard agent it then fails with the error message we’re having trouble starting battle.net. Please try again. If the problem persists, try restarting your computer.

The error code that I am getting along with the message is: BLZBNTBTS0000005D.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Hello Sithik,

Just to make sure, did you try these suggestions here?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Hi there yeah I tried them quite a few times when I originally had the error and I have tried them again.

Kind Regards

Good morning Sithik,

Alright, could you please check that your router and firewall are configured correctly as described here?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Hi Kiemmaki,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and thank you for directing me towards my router.

I have an ipfire router and looking through the Url filter report I could see that every time I tried to run battle.net that it was blocked by a custom expression that has been set. I disabled my custom expression filter and was then able to run battle.net and install hots.

I wonder if you can see anything in the expression list that would cause it to be blocked?

CUSTOM-EXPRESSION LIST IPFIRE

//(ad|commercial|marketing|promo(tion)?|shop|sponsor)s?//
/((double|fast|ad)click|click(xchange|sor))/
/(page|side|text)?ads?/
//ads?(.[\w]*){2,3}//
/(ima?ge?|ad)serv/
/(ad|banner|sponsor)s?
?(id|ima?ge?|[0-9]x[0-9])/
/ad[s|v]?[/|.]
/ad[s|v]er.*[/|.]
/apfbanners/
/banners?[/|.]
/cgi-bin/nph-adclick/
/clicktrack
/event.ng/
/hittrack
/httpads/
/phpads/)
/smartbanner/
/sponsor/
k5ads.

Kind Regards

Hello Sithik,

I am glad to hear that we got it fixed in the end, but no, I wouldn’t be familiar with your router settings and/or any rules/permissions. This would be a question for the manufacturers customer support.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?