1080p 240hz tn 24in vs 1440p 165hz IPS 27in

I’m about to upgrade my monitor but can’t decide whether to go with a 240hz panel or a 1440 ips. I currently have the Asus vg248qe which is a 24 inch 1080p 144hz. My current monitor works good but the picture quality, ghosting, and lack of g sync isn’t the greatest. Overwatch is the game i play 90% of the time, however i’d like to start playing more story games. The 1440p eye candy seems nice but the higher response times kinda worry me.

I’m currently looking at getting either the Benq xl2546 or the Asus PG279Q. My budget is around $500

What gpu do you have? Qhd takes way more processing power than fhd so you need a pretty decent card especially if you want to couple your high refresh rate with high fps.

Either way, qhd looks nicer so imo that would be the obvious choice but that might be offset if you need to dial down your graphic settings due to lack of gpu power.

1 Like

Great experiences with BenQ honestly, but you should check your GPU brand and see which one has the appropriate Sync for that.
Nvidia works with both afaik, but not sure about AMD, those used to only work with FreeSync.

1 Like

currently have an rtx 2070 and the ryzen 2600, you think this would be good enough?

do you know if i’ll notice a difference from the 4ms response time vs 1ms?

It would be enough but you won’t be able to do 165FPS consistently (on max graphics settings that is). You’re gonna have to dial back on the graphics settings for that.

Sorry I can’t comment on your second question. My gut feeling says that 1ms is obviously better than 4ms but I can’t say if you’ll notice the difference in real life scenario’s.

A couple of years ago I bought my first ever 27" G-sync, IPS, 1440p, 165Hz gaming monitor and I can honestly say it was the biggest upgrade or shift in my gaming experience ever. I could see and feel the difference jumping up in resolution and especially going from 60hz to 165hz instantly and it made games so much more enjoyable.

I would never switch it out for a smaller 24" TN monitor even if it had 1000hz, plus IPS displays just look crisper and better than TN.

Hz > resolution for sure man.

1 Like

decided to go with the pg279q, I always play on all low settings for ow and will stick to 1080p for multiplayer games and will take advantage of the 1440p when playing single player games. I really hope the eye candy impresses me enough to justify not going with a 240hz panel. Might end up selling it and getting a 240hz if the picture quality doesn’t blow me away

1 Like

I have the Benq xl2546 and Asus PG279QE. One thing not to worry about is G-Sync - the 2070 is going to keep you at a permanent 240Hz at 1080p and 165 at 1440p even on high settings, no problem.

With the Asus it’s an Overclock to 165Hz and no real difference from 144Hz. Also if you were interested in ULMB it only works at 120Hz max. The picture quality is very good.

With 240Hz monitors you have to realise that picture quality is going to take a real hit, I don’t know about the Asus 240Hz monitor but with the BenQ the resolution is 1920x1080 but without the HD - to go full 1080p you are limited to 60Hz - even so at either resolution image quality can only be described as poor. It is strictly and purely competitive only.

1 Like

Depending on what GPU you have, this might not be necessary. I play all multiplayer games at 1440 to keep the sharpness and I’ll lower visual details and effects if needed.

Check out the EVE Spectrum monitors. They look decent but they’re not out until the end of the year. :slight_smile:

Choosing 1440 for multiplayer games is the very definition of excessive.
It doesnt offer a lot of improvement vs 1080 and certainly it isn appreciated since you will be looking at the maps from a tactical, fast view point.

If you even have to lower visual details and effects to keep up the frame ratio, its literally a negative impact. You would be lowering the quality, literally, just to fit more dots on the screen that will yield no valuable info.

For single player exploration games sure, but for multi? Not worth it. Not at all.

False, it depends on your monitor. On a 27" monitor 1440p is a big improvement.

I have to disagree. Those who have upgraded from 1080 to 1440 all say the same thing, difference is noticeable instantly and the smoothness is the best thing of all. People (in my experience) who downplay 1440p and say it’s not that different are usually gamers who are still on 1080p. Nobody who is now gaming on 1440p has ever said that.

You do realize almost everyone lowers some visual details right? Do you think just because I have a 1440p display with a 1080ti GPU I can run everything maxed out? Because I can’t, sometimes I have to lower shadows, or something to get decent frame rates. Not all games run at 1440p 165fps all the time, some games are either not optimized well or are just that resource heavy.

I can only share my own experience and that is that if you can afford the jump up to 1440p and the right hardware to back it up, it’s the best gaming upgrade I ever made. Of course I had to save an arm and a leg for the GPU and monitor combined but I’m a gamer so it’s money well invested imo.

Yeah because not all people are able to admit they are wrong.
Its a simple analysis, not subject to agreement or not. 1440p doesnt offer a lot of improvement vs 1080. That is just a plain fact. You are just getting more points and definition on the screen.

That small percentage you “win” vs 1080 matters almost nothing in multiplayers, since you dont have time to gaze and contemplate all the details in every second of your luxurious play … in multiplayers you move FAST and look, shoot and move the mouse FAST.

Thats EXACTLY my point dude. You are advocating for 1440 for more quality of image when also LOWERING it (more than 1080p) in order to keep up with the frame rate. Do you see how pointless that is?

Its like buying a 200 cv car to drive to work and back only, instead of spending less gas and using a 120cv car to do the same thing with literally … 10% increased time? Its just not worth it.

Statement stays:
Choosing 1440 for multiplayer games is the very definition of excessive.
It doesnt offer a lot of improvement vs 1080 and certainly it isn appreciated since you will be looking at the maps from a tactical, fast view point.

In fast paced games, sure, but you’re talking as if all multiplayer games or games in general are like that, which they obviously aren’t. The different from 1080 to 1440, even if we’re just talking about resolution and clarity, all go towards a better more enjoyable gaming experience. Yes, even in those face paced games. Maybe not for you, but for many others who pay attention to the visuals, it does make a difference. How big or small depends on the individual gamer.

I’m not advocating anything, I said lowering some graphical settings when running at 1440p is an option. For example, if something is stopping you from getting 1440p at 165fps, someone can lower shadow settings to get higher fps and cap they fps.

You’re reacting to this like it’s brand new information and millions of gamers don’t already do this lol. You’re counter argument of “well lowering anything makes zero sense so might as well just stay at 1080p” doesn’t really make sense to me.

If someone wants to upgrade their gaming experience and play at 1440p at 164hz, it makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of the experience, for me it did anyway, for you maybe not so much. But yes lowering some settings to cap out fps is something many many gamers do.

Remember this is PC gaming. It’s not always perfect, and black and white. There’s a lot of grey. For example my next upgrade will be a better CPU followed by more RAM, which will increase my gaming performance even that little bit more. After that I’ll save up some money and time for a water cooler upgrade for my 1080ti so I can overclock. It’s a process or journey in itself. Nevertheless I would still advocate any serious gamer who wants to upgrade to 1440p to do so, as long as they are willing to also getting the other hardware necessary to actually drives games at that res and framerate.

I should also add I love the Overwatch engine and how it runs at 1440p @165fps no problem, even goes up to 300fps if I lower settings. Very well optimized engine. Just a shame the devs sucked all the fun out of the game for many of us

No.
Stop it. Its a formula dude, just calculate the number of points in the screen. Its just a fact.
The increase is NOT that significant. Its not like 1080 vs 4k. Not at all.

Also by multiplayer games, we refer to PvP mainly so my statement is 100% on point. Its not a matter of opinion, the load to the GPU increases SIGNIFICANTLY when you want to maintain 150+ constant FPS (constant being the key, during team fights for sure). So the Quality vs the “work” the CPU and GPU have to pull of is just not worth it. Period.

Reality doesnt make sense to you?
We are talking about monitor difference pal, not the entire PC, ok? The PC is the same, the GPU is the same, the MONITOR is the only difference, ok?

If everything is the same, you WILL struggle to maintain the same FPS ratio at 1440 compared to the stability or the number you will get a 1080 with the same CPU, GPU, etc. Its just a fact (again). So you literally have to LOWER the quality, to “gain 1440 definition”, which is a contradiction in itself.

If you cant see it, I cant teach the blind, sorry.

Just get a better PC lol”.
Great dude, amazing advice. Re-read the OP again, we are talking about the SAME hardware, the only difference would be the monitor:
1080 and 240hz vs 1440p and 165hz.

Statement stays:
Choosing 1440 for multiplayer games (mostly PvP) is the very definition of excessive.

Do you even know yourself what you’re talking about?
1080 = 2.073.600‬ pixels
1440 = 3.686.400‬ pixels
I wouldn’t say that’s not significant because it’s almost double the amount of pixels.

I play on 1440P with almost everything on high/ultra because my GPU can afford that. This means i only have to dial back some graphical settings which gives me a net overal BETTER graphical quality compared to 1080P.

Not everyone has the same rig or same graphical requirements/needs.

1 Like

I do, because I have experienced it.
Literally played some of the games I play In a friends house that has that res. Great for Witcher 3 and stuff like that, in Apex and OW ? Not that significant, not at all.

Mostly because the size of that monitor and that res, forces you to be at more distance from the monitor and the load on the CPU/GPU beyond 60 hz is INSANE. Literally saw it on HWmonitor.

Thats exactly why, with the SAME PC, the same rig, or whatever you may call it, for playing Overwatch 90% of the time, like OP said … the 1440p is excessive.
The PC WILL struggle to maintain that frame ratio and the quality will have to be lowered, LOSING all the “benefits” of such high res.

Given the variables my analysis is 100% correct. Thats it.

PS: Also the frame drops on team fights … oh my god. In 1080 you lose maybe … 20 ? in 1440p you can drop from 150 to literally 50-60 depending on the quality of the graphics. Nah. Its a N O P E.