Borderless Windowed capped at 60 FPS?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 144hz monitor and am attempting to run OW in borderless with uncapped frames. Unfortunately, this seems to not work; I would really like to use borderless as opposed to full screen.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks for any help!

Hello BusinessCat,

Are you using an Nvidia GPU by any chance? If thatā€™s the case, try turning off the Vsync (and G-Sync, if you have this option) from the Nvidia control Panel.

Note: if you have an AMD card, try disabling Vsync from the Catalyst Control Center and FreeSync, if you have it.

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

2 Likes

Hello, Iā€™d like to revive this thread, as Iā€™m currently experiencing the same issue. I have a brand new 2080ti, and hitting 110ā€™ish FPS while on Epic graphics setttings (full screen). However, when I selecting Borderless Windowed, it caps at 60FPS.

Is there another solution aside from disabling G-Sync? G-Sync is a very useful thing and Iā€™d rather not disable it. If that is the only solution, can you enlighten me as to why this is not supported in windowed mode?

Hey I just had this problem and I fixed it by closing discord. Seems like the overlay screws with your framerates. might be because my second monitor is 60hz. hope this helps.

1 Like

You can also try disabling ā€˜hardware accelerationā€™ in Discord. With that option turned off, you should be able to leave your Discord window open and not impact FPS.

Having the same problem, a common theme Iā€™m seeing is that having dual monitors that run different frame rates might be the root cause. Turning off my second monitor fixed it for me.

I personnally fixed the issue in the nvidia panel by right clicking on the desk. Indeed my main monitor was capped at 60 fps for windows. In borderless your game is running at a good refresh rate but you see a poor 60fps because of the windowed mode. did not happen in fullscreen for an unknown reason X)

I started having this problem after installing a second monitor. In fullscreen mode I get the fps I set in OW options, but windowed and borderless is limited to 60 fps.
I fixed this issue by going to windows monitor settings, and assigning monitor specific fps limit (advanced settings).
It turns out Windows limits the framerate to 60fps in windowed.

3 Likes

I have the same problem, but I cant seem to find the place you assign monitor specific fps limit.

I had the same issue and this solved it. Thanks a lot!

dont listen to crap customer service. problem usually rise from nvidia gpu and v-sync, and double monitor with different refresh rate setup. there are couple ways to go around these. use amd OR turn off v-sync, OR if you still want to use v-sync and the one people usually forget. both monitor should be a newer kinds. mean both at least support freessync. if you have older monitors, both should have at least the same level of refresh rate. why this happens? because of how ā€œborderless screenā€ works in windows. another possibility is because hardware acceleration, it is a good implementation, but sometimes it lockws your fps because of media on your second screen. lets say, google chrome on your second monitor. its not entirely wrong or anything. thats just how they communicating, in windows OS. best silution? get newer second monitor, even 60hz is ok. at least newer.

Iā€™m lostā€¦ I have the same problem: Windowed borderless is capped at 60 FPS

I just had to reinstall the computer due to a corrupted windows, so itā€™s the SAME machine it worked on before (nevertheless I had trouble setting it up the first time, until I found the vsync = off tip) ā€¦not this time though :frowning:

My setup is a dual monitor with an LG Ultragear which runs on 144Hz and an older Monitor which runs on 60 Hz, both definately set in the Nvidia system control settings. I also turned off the Vsync there ( in the 3D Settings) and turned G-sync for windowed and full screen.

I tried every setting in Overwatch I read about here, without success. vsync, Custom Frame rate, different Resolutions, restart the game multiple times. I even tried lower quality settingā€¦ 60 FPS in borderless, thatā€™s it. Fullframe is working, but thats no option if you want to watch a Movie while waiting for a game :wink:

help me Obiwan Kenobiā€¦
cheers
Michael

edit: In the endā€¦a bloody system reboot did it! ā€¦ argh!

Closing older threads about this topic. For all the most common causes and solutions, check out this support article: Framerate Capped in Overwatch - Blizzard Support or one of the more recent threads, such as Framerate capped only when character is alive.