Can we increase the penalty for leavers?

I know there are probably millions of topics made about this already, but I want to give my opinion.

It’s common knowledge that winning a game 5v6 is impossible (maybe once in a blue moon, but still a very low procent)

In other topics like this one I’ve read that they want the team with 5 players to have an advantage, that would probably get abused.

These are some of my ideas:

• Delete the leave button in comp

Yes, I know that you could still unplug your computer (alt + F4) or just turn of your console, but it would require more effort than just pressing a button.

Edit: TRON had a good suggestion to make players more aware of what they’re getting into when playing comp and making it clear to them that they’re not supposed to leave.

• Increase the penalty for leavers

I’m talking about losing more SR or get suspended for longer. The problem with this is that people who got disconnected on accident will get punished as well which isn’t what I want.

So I feel like if you don’t come back after 2 minutes you should get a normal penalty.

If you don’t come back at all or after 2 minutes you get an increased penalty.

I’m not sure how this would turn out, but I’m open to ideas.

8 Likes

The official position regarding this issue:

This doesn’t solve anything. You can simply press Alt+F4 or kill the OW process.

Losing more SR would just increase the number of players whining about “unfair” SR loss. While SR loss works well as a form of psychological punishment, decreasing SR actually makes no sense because that number should reflect skills not the quality of the player’s equipment.

Longer suspensions would actually decrease the number of leavers.

There is no problem with this because those who enter competitive with an equipment known to have issues (including crashy PC, unreliable network connection, etc…) deserve the penalties regardless of the cause of leaving comp games frequently. Those who get disconnected rarely would have no issues with harsher punishments.

Even if someone leaves only for zero seconds: he disappears from the battlefield, respawns in the spawn room and loses time while running to the battlefield. This can lose a battle and can be the cause of a defeat especially in higher ranks where games are more aggressive. For this reason frequent leavers have to be punished regardless of the length of the disconnection.

They still get the normal penalty if they leave and immediately join again. It just becomes worse if they’re not back after 2 minutes.

How about the disadvantaged team that a player left gets no elo penalty and only that person who left gets penalized?

1 Like

That has been discussed countless times. Giving help for the 5 other players would be exploited. Someone would either leave on purpose or in case of a random team and a likely defeat they would try to bully someone to leave creating a toxic environment.

1 Like

Yes but it’s unfair that the other 5 innocent players take full loss penalty just because of 1 irresponsible player.

In my previous post I just pointed out that those 5 (or 6) players wouldn’t necessarily be “innocent”.

Assuming that you aren’t a problematic player you have only 5 slots in your team to have troublemakers while 6 slots in the enemy team to have a problem there. For this reason the chances of winning a match caused by troublemakers (including leavers) is higher than losing one. Leavers actually give you more SR gain in the long run than SR loss. Interestingly there is still no one complaining about unfair SR gain.

Leavers are a problem only because of wasting others’ time but not because of SR loss. The solution isn’t giving players even more SR (by eliminating SR loss in teams with leavers) but reducing the number of leavers with harsher suspension penalties.

I said this for like 2 yrs now, if the team has a leaver… End the match or Fill the spot… Or just make the team with a leaver dont lose SR… simple… lots of solutions, Yet impossible for Blizzard… Sadly

You’ve done zero research on the problem otherwise you’d know why your solutions are bad.

The solution is very easy really.

1. Give a few minutes for “leavers” to get back in.
  2. Give the possibility to pause the game for a minute or 2 with some anti abuse mechanic, so that the team can give the “leaver” the chance to come back without being in too much of a disadvantage in the game.
  3. Much harsher penalties for leavers who never came back in, especially for people who leave multiple times.

Without having some kind of grace period for leavers to get back in you can’t separate leavers from technical issues and it will remain unfair and problematic. You can’t penalise too harsh because x% of leavers are not leavers and games just become useless when someone got DC, especially for the team mates of the “leaver”.

Instead of wasting the time of 11 players let’s give frequent leavers (regardless of the reason for leaving) harsher suspension penalties. That’ll simply reduce the number of leavers and perhaps give some incentives to sort out technical issues before entering competitive. I don’t want to wait for leavers who enter competitive with an equipment and network connection with known issues.

1 Like

You can get DC with the best equipment. I’m the living proof of this, and the forum has always been full of reports of DC problems.
In fact I partially stopped playing comp because of this, it became way to frustrating. Blizzard support couldn’t help, they confirmed I have no network issues but couldn’t help me other than saying I should disable everything. Nvidia Geforce experience, Razor client etc.

It doesn’t matter really, you’d rather get f* and lose a game than just wait 30-60 seconds and have a normal game?

It would be hard for me to believe that most of the other 11 players want to wait in a paused game for 1-2 minutes for someone who might never come back. What would the other 11 players do during that period? Go AFK and make a tea/coffee? And when the leaver comes back (perhaps seconds later, perhaps 1-2 minutes later) half of the teams is AFK? Or stare at the monitor in a paused game? If the leaver doesn’t come back then you either cancel the match or simply continue it without the leaver (just like the current situation). In both cases the wait time just makes the experience extremely bad without a rejoining leaver.

I had a PC that crashed with OW on a random basis but I sorted it out. This is why I played competitive only in the last 3 seasons. I purchased a broadband package after doing some research to make sure I have a connection with low latency and low packet loss. You can see gamers complaining about certain ISPs and some broadband packages so buying those is probably a bad idea. I played almost fulltime in the last few months and got disconnected about once per 2 months. This is very different from those who leave games literally on a daily/hourly/“minutely” basis. In some matches the same player might get disconnected about 5 times. These people should either sort out their stuff before entering competitive or simply play QP where leaving is less of a problem and a lot of people don’t care just like them.

Blizzard’s current system probably penalises based on the frequency of leaving so they should set only different timeframes and limits to trigger penalties. They probably set those limits based on some stats about leavers, but who knows…

So you’d rather not wait a minute or 2 but accept the occasional sh*tty games than accept you might have to wait a minute or so but suffer less from leavers.
This I don’t understand, it’s against all logic.

Blizzard will never increase the penalty too much in this state of the game because they know there are technical issues. They give the loss and an additional loss penalty to keep you interested enough even if you have a sh*tty connection, even if it’s the game that bugs, even if your RAM memory is corrupted, even if their server kicks you out. Right now they’re just not giving it any attention. They’re just ignoring the reality.

I want frequent leavers to receive long suspension penalties so that those occasional sh*tty games happen rarely. I don’t want to wait for them staring at the monitor for 1-2 minutes in a paused match especially because about 50% of leavers never rejoin in my matches.

You can never know. Nothing’s written in stone. Penalties can have different levels and those who leave frequently (like those who leave X times per match) should be simply shut out of competitive for days/weeks/season until sorting out their issues.

Serious (like crash) bugs are discovered and fixed quickly because of the high number of players and because of having a test server (PTR) on which the game is played before releasing it. Connection problems and bad hardware (basically bad equipment) are the fault of the player. Those can be fixed. Entering competitive with a bad equipment means that he/she doesn’t really care about the gaming experience of his/her team mates.

Tron you will never completely remove technical issues. Question is how you want to deal with it. Give him a chance to get back in and have a normal game for his and everyone’s sake. Or don’t and penalize 6 people. It’s as simple as this.
Technical issues happen during esport events, why won’t it happen in people’s homes.

1 Like

You never completely remove technical issues but there is plenty of room for improvement for those who disconnect several times per day or hour and they are unwelcome in competitive. As I said they can play QP, that matches their level of seriousness.

Most of those who have a reliable equipment simply want less leavers. Those who disconnect frequently (probably a smaller group of players) might prefer your solution at the expense of everyone else. Blizzard has stats about leavers and in the end they decide how to tune their penalty system.

You don’t seem to understand the implications of the fact that technical issues will happen on you or your team mate. The implication is that your answer on my question will greatly affect your own experience. I’m talking from a systematic and practical point of view. You seem more concerned with who should be blamed

Btw. what’s the best option to report leavers? Sabotage or lack of activity?

The probability of this technical issue happening during a match can be pushed very close to zero depending on how harsh punishments you give to those who leave frequently. This is a mathematical/systematic approach.

It’s a separate issue that I (and probably a lot of other competitive players) don’t want to play with someone who knows that his/her equipment has frequent issues.

You don’t have to and shouldn’t report leavers. The system knows about leavers and penalises them according to Blizzards rules.