Cross-Play is Coming to Overwatch!

Cross-Play is Coming to Overwatch!

Get ready to group up with your friends for Overwatch – Regardless of where they play!

View Full Article

2 Likes

Its a good first step. The cross-progression is the big boss here. Thats a tough cookie.

It’ll come.

I am not sure I see the value… but when it happens I am sure I will have my mind changed.

So console players can disable crossplay whenever they want. It seems to me correct that each person acts as they deem appropriate.

Meanwhile, we PC players cannot disable crossplay because Blizzard / Activision, for reasons known only to them, deems it appropriate that we not do so.
Thank you Blizzard / Activision for deciding for us. Sometimes it is so difficult to think for yourself …

If a console player does not want to play with a PC player, he disables crossplay, and continues as usual.
If a PC gamer isn’t comfortable playing a console gamer, they screw it up because Blizzard / Activision wants it that way.
Double standards?
If some players have the option to deactivate a mode that does not interest them or does not suit them, I do not see why the rest of us have to put up with it.
It is not a matter of skill, it is a matter of hardware difference.

The excuse of limiting crossplay to non-competitive games only favors the circus you are turning the QP into (“it’s QP bruh”; Blizzard / Activision dixit).

In short, useful idea, regrettable implementation (nothing new).

4 Likes

PC players will not need to. They will already be only matching against PC player, unless they choose to group with a console player.

I do not think so:

Can a console player (controller) group up with a PC player (mouse & keyboard) and play together?
Yes, but only in non-Competitive game modes. Any group consisting of both PC and console players will be placed into the PC player matchmaking pool. Mouse & keyboard players will not be able to join the console player matchmaking pool, regardless of who is in their group.

If you are in a group with a PC player, then you are in the PC pool. And the team will be completed with PC players.

1 Like

That’s a duo and a team needs six people so one way or the other, you can get grouped with a console player.

I agree with some of the sentiment btw. Let us (PC players) disable crossplay too. I don’t want to be grouped with them, not even in QP.

1 Like

If you on PC, duo with friends on xbox… the rest of your team will be PC players or other mixed stacks.

The enemy team will have a similar composition.

Unless, like it does now, the que goes oast certain times, then it starts to look past those rules to get you what ever game it can within your MMR and SR boundaries.

Which brings us back to the first point. Why can’t PC players disable cross-play?

1 Like

They don’t need to.

You will only be matched with console players if you group with one yourself. Otherwise you are in the PC only matchmaking pool.

Cross-play isn’t really aimed at PC players per-say. It is meant to improve the experience for console players, and get them more games with better quality.

It will also be well tested and adjusted in time for OW2 and its 4 player co-op Story and Hero Missions.

Again… No.

Can a console player (controller) group up with a PC player (mouse & keyboard) and play together?
Yes, but only in non-Competitive game modes. Any group consisting of both PC and console players will be placed into the PC player matchmaking pool. Mouse & keyboard players will not be able to join the console player matchmaking pool, regardless of who is in their group.

If you are solo playing, you are in the PC pool and you can be matched with PC+console groups.
If a group consisting of both PC and console players is placed into the PC player matchmaking pool, solo players can end up playing with them.

My question is how are the differences between PC and console be handled? Torborn and Symmetra’s turrets deal less damage on console than on PC, and I’m sure there’s other differences I’m unaware of. Surely they would have to change them to be identical on both versions, or are the PC damage values applied when in a PC lobby and console values are when you’re in console lobbies?

“Can” but that situation is so unlikely.

But still better than getting Paris and everyone leaving and back-filling.

1 Like

How exactly would this work? Just think about it. For example, you have two players, 1 PC, 1 Console. They queue up together. 4 more players are needed for a team. Do you really think those 4 more players are all PC/Console parties? No they get mixed with people who don’t queue up with console players. Sure, they might get grouped with another PC/Console group but they will also get grouped with PC only players or groups.

1 Like

I’d imagine if your game is all console… and on the console match making pool… it will be the console balance.

If you have a PC player in your group, you are on the PC match making pool, so it will be the PC balance.

The other solution is the quietly move console back to the same as PC. or adjust them both into the middle,

Not only is it possible, but it is most likely. The game loses players and this movement adds up all the communities. It is more than obvious that they are going to play together.

This might well be the case is this was the only step.

This is a pretty obvious step to something a little bigger, that they are probably waiting to drop closer to OW2 release (as it will probably only kick in when that launches).

Free to play.

Short term, player numbers will only go up. Then it is on them to not mess up and give these new people a reason to stick around

That does not explain why we cannot avoid crossplay and the others can.

1 Like

Because you won’t need to.

If PC players might need it, it would be there (easier to have the option on all versions than hand pick). So, if it isn’t there then there must be a logical reason for it.

I will let you figure out what that reason might be… but a clue is that cross play is more to improve console competitive than anything else.

BattleCattle is clueless.

1 Like