Does getting a 144hz+ screen actually help?

I’m begging my parents to buy me a new laptop with a 144hz screen, everyone tells me that if you go from 60hz to 144hz, the gameplay is magically better… How much would that help me with for example competetive? Like, would my sr go up, or rather stay the same- I’m a main D.Va and Mercy, I miss a lot of shots with D.Va just because of the little bugs when I begin to attack :confused: But that actually would be the graphics card fault too, because my fps are always around 40-55 :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It definitely plays nicer and gives some advantage but I wouldn’t expect magic. Preferably you also need a GPU that can match your refresh rate. So if you have a 144HZ screen, you want to push out at least 144FPS.

3 Likes

Yes. For most people.

Some will never notice the difference, but for most it will make a massive difference.

In OW it will give you a slight edge, when you and your mechanics adjust to it.

1 Like

i think this is a lie, they say they notice a difference but they really don’t.

there’s really a small minority who can tell the difference.

but you will only notice a difference in that things you do are just more accurate to what you see on screen by like minor fraction.

it’s so miniscule that it’s basically making it easier to calculate how to hit on reaction with widows sniper rifle in tenth of a size of a doorway by maybe 0.001 seconds. when a mercy runs by it.
and even then you can practice that muscle memory to get similar results.

FPS beyond 60 per second is really not that big of an upgrade.
especially as you should probably consider actually running the game at a static 60 fps first.
those fps drops are actually pretty jarring and will make you mess up more so than anything else.

1 Like

I have gone from 60 → 144 → 240 → 300 → 360 in the last 18 months or so.

Each time is a small but noticeable improvement.

Biggest change is from 60 to 144.

Agree FPS drops might be an issue for some, if you don’t have good enough hardware. Which is why lethal is right, make sure you can run it.

If you run them side by side, the difference is surprising.

I saw a streamer say once, first step to “git gud”. Make sure you have the right tools for the job. You will give your self a small advantage, by just having a better running game (hence why you still run everything on low, even on high end machines)

1 Like

The people that might not see the difference are:

• people who have a high refresh rate (HZ) monitor without a GPU that can match the refresh rate (HZ) in frames (FPS).
  • people who have vsync, gsync, adaptive sync enabled with again, a too slow GPU.
  • people who forget to set the high refresh rate in their GPU settings. This happens alot and is even memed on because most of the times the GPU drivers, whether those are from AMD or nVidia, don’t automatically set it to highest refresh rate.
  • people that play games that don’t support high refresh rates or slow paced games where it doesn’t really stand out (the difference is there too though).

Whether or not it will improve your gameplay can be debated, personally I think it does, especially when you’re playing hitscan characters and/or doing a lot of fast turns/flicks, but one thing is sure, the difference in image is massive. There are no lies in this, the image is soo much smoother and sharper with a high refresh rate monitor. You can see this yourself if you play on 60HZ and 60FPS (or lower): toss around your mouse real fast and you’ll see multiple mouse pointers. This also happens ingame to the objects being rendered and is very much a deal in a fast FPS shooters, but because this was the standard for so long and you as a player are focused on the gameplay, it didn’t really stand out. It is normalized as hell by your brain but that doesn’t mean you won’t notice a difference once you play on actual nice hardware!

These kinds of scenarios aren’t just marketing or gimmicks (sure it is used as marketing) but are just what they are, factual. Though, the jump from 144HZ to anything above is marginal like Rodimus also said. I went from 60HZ to 165HZ years ago and that was a massive difference. Went from 165HZ to 240HZ 1-2 years ago and that wasn’t that much of a difference.

These “can’t tell the difference”, “human eye can’t see the difference”, “brain won’t notice it” comments are getting so boring and frankly, also outdated as more and more gamers move to high refresh rate monitors.

1 Like

i’m running a 144 ips monitor on a beast computer and i can’t even tell honestly.
this fotage you have showing, now speed that up by 10x and tell me then if you can still see the difference.

and also let’s be freaking honest here, this is overwatch, the hitboxes in this game is wonky as hell, even if you saw the model in 240 fps, the model will still lie to you making you underestimate how much leeway you have.

honestly games don’t have perfect hitdetection to even warrant 60 fps most of the time.

i mean by your admission you would be able to hit a 1 frame link in a fighting game consistently then right? no tricks and no plinks. all fighting games run at 60 fps.

yeah until a pro beat you on a 60 fps monitor making you look foolish for spending a ton of money on new hardware.

the answer is this, if you’re looking to go pro, maybe a better framerate will give you a small advantage where it will actually be benificial.

but if you’re just a casual messing around playing games for fun, it’s just a hobby and if you can afford it without it stinging your pocket it’s there for you.
but i will never recommend someone to go above 60 fps to spend their hard earned money on something so minor.

yeah i got an IPS monitor that runs at 144, but was it necessary? not really, i could have halfed that price tag if not more to just go 60 fps on an IPS monitor.

but since i only use 1 monitor and don’t want to have several monitors on my desk, it was an investment so i was ok with it, do i regret it? yes.

I’ve literally never heard someone try so hard to deny something that is so widely known as being objectively better. Like who are you trying to fool?

No one buys high refresh monitors to see more frames dude, it’s purely for smoothness which translates more into a feel thing.

i don’t believe it makes that much a difference that you should spend money on it unless your 60 fps monitor breaks, then fine get yourself something nice.
but 60 fps monitors works well enough that you can be competitive on it and it really doesn’t give you that much more smoothness in experience that i think it’s worth replacing your old monitor.

i mean look at what the person is dealing with, begging their parents to get a laptop with 140hz screen.

would you say that it’s worth getting a laptop with 140hz?

i’d rather they get an actual PC that runs at a steady 60fps with a good graphics card than that.

High refresh doesn’t come with the premium it used to my dude. You get get a 240hz panel for under £200. Obviously the affordability of something depends on your circumstances but we’re talking a difference of like £80 difference from an average 60hz panel to a 240hz panel.
And realistically, if the affordability is something to be concerned about, a laptop really isn’t the way to go.

I don’t mean to sound patronising but are you sure you have the monitor set to 144 in widows? There’s a drastic difference, even in something as simple as moving a widow around.

And that’s a valid stance to take. Downplaying the difference between 60 and 144 is not.

Going from a regular 60hz 1080p display to a 165hz 1440p one was one of the most profound leaps in gaming experiences I have ever had. If you have the option to go for a higher refresh rate over higher resolution, I say go for it.

Or as most concur, go for the sweet spot, 1440p @ 165hz.

i mean sure you can say that aswell, but should i be up playing IPS monitors because they give better color and contrast than regular monitors? no because it’s probably not worth the casual enjoyer.

as a hobbyist sure, knock yourself out, but when it’s their parents money and they have to beg for a laptop, get a grip.

overhyped i’m gonna be honest.
i had a friend who was obsessed with having the latest tech and i was never really that impressed, my father owned a crazy expensive hifi equipment and i really didn’t think it was much of a big deal.

like i’m still gonna enjoy the same music on a poor iphone in some poor earbuds just as much.

Probably not worth it to the casual user? I don’t mean to be that guy but who are you to decide what is and isn’t worth it to ‘a casual user’?
Even if it’s not worth it in your opinion, are you going to sit there and act like there’s not an objectively superior product? No. You’re going to say that one is objectively better.

1. What differentiates a casual from a hobbyist?
  2. Do you know their parents financial circumstances?
  3. If finances are the defining factor in the decision, why are we not asking if a powerful laptop is necessary?
    A cheap laptop and a mid range pc is a better choice if all they are going to be doing is taking notes at uni or something.

This just isn’t true. Like at all. You’re straight up arguing against physics dude.
If you cant aporiciate higher quality sound then there is either something wrong with your ears or you are going into it with a predefined conclusion.

idk about your friend but I’m talking from personal experience. The jump in smoothness, plus higher rez, it’s very noticeable. Hard to miss acc

Gamed on 1080p 60hz all me life like everyone, then decided it’s time

yeah so why don’t you have an ips monitor? if quality was such a thing of importance.
the reason being is because a TN monitor works well enough for most users and it’s a lot more affordable.

look, all i’m saying is, what’s the point of watching something like scooby doo the movie on 260 fps, it’s still scooby doo the movie.

i mean alright you can argue that there is some merit to actually watching a lot of high class, high budget movies in 260 fps.

but that’s not most people.

Scooby doo in this case being…??? Overwatch?

The OP is asking about Overwatch and jumping up to 144-165hz made a huge diff for me in the game. Everything is smoother and it helps tracking, aim, everything. The whole experience is improved over 60fps, and then you throw in the option to go higher rez too, 1440p, 4k, etc.

You’re downplaying it way too much based on your own views. Ask people who’ve acc upgraded

you’re overhyping it, saying, i’ve tried it, didn’t do much, i had about the same tracking score.
yes it was smoother but it didn’t make a difference in my skill or theirs, it was to me a waste of money.
i’m talking about the difference of 4k$ here and a pc that’s 2k$

ofcourse if you come with a rust bucket that’s 500$ everything is gonna be better.

this is pretty much all it really does skill wise, and are you telling me you’re as rigorous as these guys?
or is the smoothness really worth the price tag?

currently i’m looking at a cintiq for my painting hobby but i allready have a pretty decent drawing tablet, what do you think i’ll do?