Game gets louder when tabbed out?

Okay so, I have had no issues like this before, and I found no other thread about the same problem.

I just ran into this issue, where the game sound is really muffled in game to a point where I barely hear anything, but as soon as I tab out of the game, it blasts my ears with full volume, instead of getting muted like it usually does.
It does kind of the same with world of warcraft as well, but not to the same extent.
For WoW, the sound in game is still muffled, and when I tab out it gets louder for a split second, before it mutes itself while running in the background.

The only thing I have changed was that I installed GeForce Experience to update my graphics drivers. I don’t know if maybe that caused it, but that sounds a bit far fetched? Though, might be possible.

I use an Acer Aspire VX 15 with windows 10.
This has never been an issue before, and the same problem persists with and without headset.
I tried restarting the game, and even rebooted my computer, problem still persists.
I haven’t fiddled with my sound settings at all prior to this happening, and I only did so now to see if that was the problem.
I adjusted both the in game volume, and my computers volume settings with the mixer. All it does is to make the sound lower, but it’s still way louder when tabbed out.
As someone who relies very heavily on sound when I play to help me be aware of my surroundings, the game is really hard for me to play with this issue as well.
If anyone has experienced something similar and managed to fix it, please share your wisdom with me, because I’m struggling.

Didn’t work, sadly :c
It’s still doing the exact same thing

Hi Wren,

First thing I would check is the Windows Sound Control Panel. As you have Windows 10, just go to the Windows “Start” menu and start typing “Sound”. You should see the Sound Control Panel as best match. Open it and go to the Communications tab - check the option selected there. If you have “Mute all other sounds”, change it to something else, for example “Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%” and press Apply and then OK. close the panel and see if the issue persists. :slight_smile:

Did you check if the issue goes away of you remove GeForce experience? Please try also closing all unnecessary background applications (selective startup) !

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

Oh what do you know, that WAS the issue.
I uninstalled it and the problem disappeared. That is such an odd bug.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

I checked selective startup programs and it turned out to be Logitech G Hub. Specifically the surround sound setting. Turn it off and the problem goes away.

2 Likes

You don’t know how grateful I am I could find your comment. I have been searching on internet what my problem was (when I played a game, all my sounds from Chrome, Spotify, etc. got stereo instead of dolby surround) and I couldn’t imagine it was a problem with Logitech G Hub (which I reinstalled a couple of weeks ago). I just had to click on the lock symbol to activate dolby surround in every single program, not just desktop. Thanks!

I found a solution to uninstall all ASUS software and reinstall GeForce Experience again,
Made my sound to become normal

ergo - ea. problem seems to have a number of resolutions

In my case that was armoury crate (asus thing) that has a profile getting 20% of soun instead of 100%