Guys I'm having a really bad time with this game

I’m not a great player (heck, some days I’m not even a ‘good’ one.) But my experiences playing this game recently (last month or so) have been really frustrating. It almost feels like I keep being placed in lobbies with people streaks ahead of me. Which can be illuminating, you can learn a lot of things from better players, but after winning only three games out of the last twenty this is getting stale.

I’m not expecting to win all my games (or even half with my severe lack of skill), but needing to get scraped off the pavement 98% of the time is disheartening. It just feels like there is no room for me to learn anything when I’m constantly getting destroyed by better players. It kills the enjoyment that drew me to this game in the first place.

What I want to know: is anyone else having a similar experience recently, or is it all in my head? In the meantime I’m just using my time to practice basics and try not to be such a burden on my team.

2 Likes

Yeah I go through bad losing streaks sometimes, I think most of us do. It’s never a constant.

Anyway, if you really care about improving and learning from mistakes etc, my best advice is to watch some pro-guides for the heroes you enjoy playing the most. One or two good pro videos on your hero and you’ll learn more from them than anyone else. Really helped me out and helped me notice what I was doing wrong, whether it was positioning, comboing ults, etc.

Just type “pro guide zarya” etc in youtube. There’s a plethora of knowledge from the best players out there. I think I’ve watched around 100 on Zarya no joke. I wanted to learn everything there was to learn about her when I started playing a few years ago.

3 Likes

Oh thank god it’s not just my imagination XD, I’ll continue to try and learn whilst the streak runs it’s course :smile:

2 Likes

Would you rather be the worst player on your team, or the best?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone goes into a game hoping to be the worst player on their team. But sometimes I have to face facts and admit I’m the albatross around my team’s neck. I try my best but it feels like banging my head against a brick wall sometimes.

Can I be somewhere in the middle? :thinking:

2 Likes

This is actually not a bad mind set to have, as long as you don’t let it drag you down.

If you lose, you can only fix the mistakes you made after all.

So if your end goal is to keep improving then logically you can always have done better.

1 Like

Its a dope game IMO, and it definitely rewards players that stick with it and learn a lot of nuances.

If you are playing alone, I totally get that you might feel like a fish out of water kind of experience. OW is kind of like a thing that you might prefer learning alongside friends that know the game better. If you don’t have those friends, then honestly their might be better games out there for you.

Best luck, either way.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t like to dwell on what others do/don’t do because that’s totally outside my control. Maybe there just aren’t enough ‘potato’ players like myself at the moment, so I’m ending up with competent people in my games. It’s certainly a steep learning curve :laughing:

1 Like

Sometimes it is good to watch a game back to see what others did wrong, so you can try learn from the mistakes you think they’ve made.

Or, one I do, if I get completely rolled I watch the game back from their veiw to see how bad my positioning was.

Sometimes though, it is just better to just forget it happened and go again. Every now and a again you just get teams that don’t click and are just never going to win. (Just never blame that on the match maker. You’ll all be similar skill)

1 Like

I’ll get there eventually (or not, I may just be wood-tier who knows) but that’s a great idea. I honestly haven’t touched the replay function (for fear of cringing so hard at my gameplay that my spine will try to escape my body.)

1 Like

Ultimately, as long as you’re enjoying playing what rank you are is irrelevant.

If you enjoy playing now, and enjoy the grind to improve and climb. Then win win!

But if you find yourself taking it all too seriously, to the point that the result of the match effects you… take a few steps back.

2 Likes

Sorry, but welcome to Overwatch matchmaking. It puts level 1’s in against level 1000’s.

1 Like

Stop playing quick play then.

I feel bad for them. I have matches with new level accounts daily.

And my mood atm is toxic cause of pain in my life and it takes so much of my energy to not be toxic towards these sad souls who just wanna play and learn, but they end up with players that knows the maps and how the game works and that get frustrated of having to babysit them.

Honestly, implementing a system that don’t match levels under 100 with anyone over that level unless they are in a group.

3 Likes

Ye things ain’t getting much better. Placed in plat but OH MY GOD do I not belong here. In both QP and comp we’re looking at about 2 wins in every ten games. My biggest issue as support is doomfist. I can’t handle the guy at all. Doesn’t matter who I play I always get cold clocked from nowhere/space. Pretty depressing looking at my stats. I want to love this game but it just seems to hate my guts.

There are arcade matches and codes made for specific trainings vs Doomfist as a support.
You are going to have to look at Replays A LOT because if you just “meh, go next” all the time, you are just bashing your head against the wall.

Watch replays, try training codes, ask a friend to coach and then play.
Bashing your head against the wall 100 matches will yield less experience than doing what I listed.

GL

1 Like

Yesterday we played against a Doomfist that was quite obviously carrying. (A plat one, low level). Not sure if he was hacking or just really good, either way, they’re incredibly annoying to play against.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll have a look around for one. I know there’s codes for stuff like Ana’s sleep dart vs genji etc, but one vs doomfist would be super helpful.

EDIT: I found one! the code is DVYNR for anyone interested
UPDATE: Oh my gawd I killed a doomfist in a1v1 as ana O_O

1 Like

my advice is simply give up and embrace it, look for other things other than winning and improving to keep you invested in the game, you will of course be curious and look for ways to improve no matter what, you’re human and nobody likes losing.

but when that becomes the main frustration the game itself is gonna be rough to play because you put expectations into each match expecting results from yourself and you do see improvement but you’re still losing.

and then starts extending your expectation onto your teammates and you start feeling like your teammates are letting you down and it’s just a negative spiral that turns you off from playing all together due to too much expectations that’s causing you frustration.

and in that spiral you will start to blame the game for having a bad time with it.

you see it all the time “you got carried”, “we lost because of you”,
“X-Character is broken/OP” etc. etc.
you get the gist of it.

or maybe you are just feeling the effects of other people being in this negative spiral.

the simplest thing i can say to have fun is basically set a very small goal.
for example : landing a sleep dart on a difficult to hit target, small goals means lots of small victories that starts piling up which is fun.

1 Like