Idea: Keep ultimate charge when switching heroes

I just thought of this idea… To play to your best level, it matters a lot to have heroes that are good counters to the enemy team. But if you switch in order to counter, as we all know, you lose your ult charge, no matter how much you had. many times, a player may even see a possibility to make a good switch, but won’t. because ult charge is above 50%(example). I feel this can be improved upon.

The suggestion: Everyone KEEPS their ult charge when switching heroes, based on charge difficulty. I can see this working well in any mode, even professional games.
-Heroes level up ult charge at different levels. it’s much easier to rack it up as junkrat than with Zarya( I think the hardest to charge).
I’m pretty sure Blizzard has control over the numbers behind, maybe 60% junkrat charge=30% of zarya charge. If you already have your ult with tracer, if you switch to Zarya, you start with 50% charge. (just examples, merely based on my perception on charge difficulty, I may be off on the numbers)

Eager to hear what you think about this. If you think it’s a bad idea, please elaborate. It may well be, but I’d like to understand why.

nah, you could just play a hero who get’s ult very fast then switch to one that builds a very strong ult very slowly

there is no way this wouldn’t completely destroy the game

3 Likes

Absolutely not. In fact, I wish the game would overall get less dependent on ults and ult combos. It’s one of the reasons why I like Mystery Heroes: People usually die before they have it charged up unless RNG is good to them.

2 Likes

It seems you didn’t read my post thoroughly. please read the second part again. if you have 80 with tracer, you don’t get 80 with zarya.

That still doesn’t mean that playing a fast charging ult character won’t directly benefit a slow charging character. The balancing on it would be a nightmare as well.

No. Managing the ult economy is what makes the game complex and interesting. If charge carried over you could switch hero instantly without even thinking, while now you need to decide if it’s worth it, and if it’s worth waiting for an optimal situation before using it.

We don’t need a simpler game :slight_smile:

it means that playing a fast charging character would benefit a slow charging character the perfectly fair amount. the balancing would be simple Maths.

Just reading the title my answer is, no. Why? There are so many ways to abuse this.

Not really. A slow charging ult, like Transcendence, would be a fast charging one if you could constantly heal someone while also constantly damage someone. So you could go Zen, have the other two healers do the healing of everyone except Zarya. You keep your harmony orb on her all the time, she takes damage on purpose giving you charge, and since you only have a single target to heal the healing becomes completely passive, allowing you to spend all your time tossing orbs. Once you hit 60% or whatever, you switch to tracer. Your bomb is ready, you stick it, and then go back to Zen.

And that’s just one way this could be abused. And on top of that, it takes a really important component out of the decision making, dumbing the game down quite a bit.

maybe read more than the title?

No,a trash Zarya for example,shouldn’t be able to get ultimate charge by playing junkrat. the player being trash at Zarya,should be punished by not getting fast ultimate charge.

It’s an awful idea. It takes away from the game, regardless of different charge rates, it still feeds the mentality that actually it’ll be more viable to switch to a faster-charging character then put effort into that character. There are some situations when getting 100% on junk takes as much time as 20-30% on other heroes and depends on a lot of things. Or what about the other way round, you’re playing Zarya and maybe you want to switch to get another ult to wipe the team. do you get 100% on every other ult because Zarya has a long ult charge time. but that doesn’t work out because actually sound barrier requires the most charge in terms of numbers but it’s easier to charge support ultimates

Yes I’m sure that it would be a perfectly straight forward thing to do…

Anyway, bad idea. And it seems like everyone else in the thread thinks the same.

All the heroes have both different charge rates and requirements. On top of that some heroes accumulate charge at a faster rate despite having slower charge rate simply because how those heroes play. There’s a reason why for example Moira’s ultimate is a rather low impact one and has a considerable drawback by disabling your shift. It’s because she accumulates ult charge much faster than other heroes and she could be used to get Zarya ult faster than Hanzo’s dragon. If we were to tweak everything so that they wouldn’t break the game it would just be subjective tuning up down left right and would make absolutely no sense.

Horrible idea.

you kinda just described how zen works… you can do that today also(until the switch to tracer part)… following your example, that tracer bomb was deserved, but I wouldnt give up the transcendence for a low impact pulse bomb that has a big risk of missing the target. would you? see how the decision making aspect is actually increased?

You can’t do that today, as Zen can’t just drop harmony orb on someone once, and forget about it, and just playing as DPS.

And this was an example of how other players can help you farm an otherwise slow ult in order to get a lightning fast ult after switching. Zen and Tracer were just picked as an illustration.

it still feeds the mentality that actually it’ll be more viable to switch to a faster-charging character then put effort into that character.

No, because it actually will not be more viable to switch to faster-charging character…maybe some people will misunderstand how it works, but too bad for them. Would be no different from other concepts that are misunderstood by players new to the game.

you’re playing Zarya and maybe you want to switch to get another ult to wipe the team. do you get 100% on every other ult because Zarya has a long ult charge time.

yes, you would. But would you give up the best ult in the game for a lesser?
which ult would you switch to?

but that doesn’t work out because actually sound barrier requires the most charge in terms of numbers but it’s easier to charge support ultimates

?

Mainly though, it just dumbs down the game. It’s unlikely that people will regularly abuse it to farm, even though it’s possible. The main objection is that there is zero downside to instantly switching to counter, which would make the game a chore, and a bore, to play.

what you described up until the keeping of ult charge when switching would be no different from today. I haven’t suggested a change to the function of the harmony orb. I understand it was an example, but it didn’t prove or describe a way to get an advantage that others aren’t getting.

Anyone could do it, but it would make the game more boring if certain heroes were reduced to being ult batteries.