Idea: Keep ultimate charge when switching heroes

Not really. A slow charging ult, like Transcendence, would be a fast charging one if you could constantly heal someone while also constantly damage someone. So you could go Zen, have the other two healers do the healing of everyone except Zarya. You keep your harmony orb on her all the time, she takes damage on purpose giving you charge, and since you only have a single target to heal the healing becomes completely passive, allowing you to spend all your time tossing orbs. Once you hit 60% or whatever, you switch to tracer. Your bomb is ready, you stick it, and then go back to Zen.

And that’s just one way this could be abused. And on top of that, it takes a really important component out of the decision making, dumbing the game down quite a bit.

maybe read more than the title?

No,a trash Zarya for example,shouldn’t be able to get ultimate charge by playing junkrat. the player being trash at Zarya,should be punished by not getting fast ultimate charge.

It’s an awful idea. It takes away from the game, regardless of different charge rates, it still feeds the mentality that actually it’ll be more viable to switch to a faster-charging character then put effort into that character. There are some situations when getting 100% on junk takes as much time as 20-30% on other heroes and depends on a lot of things. Or what about the other way round, you’re playing Zarya and maybe you want to switch to get another ult to wipe the team. do you get 100% on every other ult because Zarya has a long ult charge time. but that doesn’t work out because actually sound barrier requires the most charge in terms of numbers but it’s easier to charge support ultimates

Yes I’m sure that it would be a perfectly straight forward thing to do…

Anyway, bad idea. And it seems like everyone else in the thread thinks the same.

All the heroes have both different charge rates and requirements. On top of that some heroes accumulate charge at a faster rate despite having slower charge rate simply because how those heroes play. There’s a reason why for example Moira’s ultimate is a rather low impact one and has a considerable drawback by disabling your shift. It’s because she accumulates ult charge much faster than other heroes and she could be used to get Zarya ult faster than Hanzo’s dragon. If we were to tweak everything so that they wouldn’t break the game it would just be subjective tuning up down left right and would make absolutely no sense.

Horrible idea.

you kinda just described how zen works… you can do that today also(until the switch to tracer part)… following your example, that tracer bomb was deserved, but I wouldnt give up the transcendence for a low impact pulse bomb that has a big risk of missing the target. would you? see how the decision making aspect is actually increased?

You can’t do that today, as Zen can’t just drop harmony orb on someone once, and forget about it, and just playing as DPS.

And this was an example of how other players can help you farm an otherwise slow ult in order to get a lightning fast ult after switching. Zen and Tracer were just picked as an illustration.

it still feeds the mentality that actually it’ll be more viable to switch to a faster-charging character then put effort into that character.

No, because it actually will not be more viable to switch to faster-charging character…maybe some people will misunderstand how it works, but too bad for them. Would be no different from other concepts that are misunderstood by players new to the game.

you’re playing Zarya and maybe you want to switch to get another ult to wipe the team. do you get 100% on every other ult because Zarya has a long ult charge time.

yes, you would. But would you give up the best ult in the game for a lesser?
which ult would you switch to?

but that doesn’t work out because actually sound barrier requires the most charge in terms of numbers but it’s easier to charge support ultimates

?

Mainly though, it just dumbs down the game. It’s unlikely that people will regularly abuse it to farm, even though it’s possible. The main objection is that there is zero downside to instantly switching to counter, which would make the game a chore, and a bore, to play.

what you described up until the keeping of ult charge when switching would be no different from today. I haven’t suggested a change to the function of the harmony orb. I understand it was an example, but it didn’t prove or describe a way to get an advantage that others aren’t getting.

Anyone could do it, but it would make the game more boring if certain heroes were reduced to being ult batteries.

All the heroes have both different charge rates and requirements.

yes

On top of that some heroes accumulate charge at a faster rate despite having slower charge rate simply because how those heroes play.
There’s a reason why for example Moira’s ultimate is a rather low impact one and has a considerable drawback by disabling your shift. It’s because she accumulates ult charge much faster than other heroes and she could be used to get Zarya ult faster than Hanzo’s dragon.

No she couldn’t. This tells me you are not understanding the concept.
if you had 90% with Moira, you would get (maybe) 45% when switching to Zarya.

If we were to tweak everything so that they wouldn’t break the game it would just be subjective tuning up down left right and would make absolutely no sense.

It wouldn’t be subjective at all, it would be completely numerical, and no reason for it to get a change to balance at all. Blizzard has the numbers we are not seeing for the three types of ult charge.

Horrible idea.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it seems you have it because you are not understanding how it would work.

I see that you have no realistic concept of how the ultimate charge works. Zarya’s graviton surge’s charge requirement is 1875 where as Moira’s charge requirement is 2125. Since you clearly have no credibility considering this topic this discussion ends here.

You are right. Then it wouldn’t work. If only there was some way to put those numbers into fractions of 100… oh well.

Didn’t know you were the boss of this forum, but I agree.
No need to continue this topic, as none of the repliers understood the concept. (the only valid point was the one that didn’t want more frequent ultimates, but that could be tuned as well.(there was a 20% ult nerf after beta already))

I hope they implement this at least as a custom game option, so it could be tested.

I completely understand the concept. I just don’t agree with you.

2 Likes

Grav dragon, swap, grav dragon, swap, grav dragon, swap
6 players, 4 with full ult charge as i swap of zarya and go junk (to grind my ult up) junk (full ult swaps zarya) tracer full ult swaps hanzo then the last 2 of the team. GG ez pls introduce 2 OP AF heroes, so I know which to use.

The idea is not bad for a setting in custom games or arcade but it’s wrong in normal overwatch. You are forced to swap? You should be in a disadvantage until you got your rescue ult. Also it gives you the decision to swap or ult.

1 Like

oh look, they’re doing this now for OW2 :wink: Must not have been such a bad idea after all aye?

It’s definitely more viable in OW2, with less people to shoot and less ult charge on tanks. All ULTs are building more slowly and 30% is huge but not gamebreaking. Definitely makes it easier to counter for the DPS role.

Please read the bit about necro bumping

1 Like