[Main Thread] Stuck Applying Update, Received penalties. April/May 2023

I just queued for a ranked game and after saying game found it then started loading but just gave me a screen with the message “Applying Update” on it and some weird ball thing doing some kind of animation. It stayed on that screen for several minutes, so I looked to see what it was and several places said that it was a bug and closing the game fixed it. I closed the game, relaunched it, went to queue up again and saw that I was suspended for 50 minutes.

Why the hell am I getting punished for bugs that are out of my control. So my option are to sit staring at a screen doing an update forever or restart game and then still not be able to play because I got suspended. Absolute joke honestly…

14 Likes

Exactly the same problem here.

Going into queue, match was found, and instead of “loading game” it was “applying update”. The match was already found! What kind of update would be applied NOW?!
In the background on the upper half of the screen I could still see that I was placed into the match. But no matter how long I wait, the “applying update” thing doesnt go away, but the match found thing in the top did. So I closed the game with alt f4 and sure enough I had a penalty and probably lost points do to something that is clearly not my but Blizzards fault.

The matchmaking is awful enough as it is, everyone including Blizzard knows that already, but now we got this out of control thing. Absolutely great.

3 Likes

I had this exact issues a few months ago.
I had zero response by Blizzard on this one. They’re absolutely hopeless.

It’s quite likely Blizzard either are no longer supporting EU players, or they have employed incompetent employees since the 2016-18 days.

2 Likes

Same here. I’m honestly so disappointed. I’m currently in an 8 hour suspension due to this problem and it’s killing the little fun that is still there in this game. Not to mention it counts as a leave for competitive.

3 Likes

This has happened to me a few times recently. Yesterday the issue happened and I had to restart, I got suspended for 15 minutes.

It’s just happened again, now I’m suspended for 1 hour, this is ridiculous.

Totally unfair.

1 Like

I have gotten the same message 3 times in the last week and gotten losses and been suspended because of it. So stupid

3 Likes

Same problem here… 15 min ban then 1 hour ban and we all end up getting perma banned at this rate PLEASE fix and REVERT the leaver status on our accounts since its CLEARLY a bug on your end … I have personally done all the “fixes” you recommend and its still happening.
So now I am waiting on your end to do something about it … and remember remove leaver status on accounts this is a getting out of hand …look how many people who got this bug ! also on US forums people complain about it all over …

1 Like

Had the same problem about an hour ago. Does anyone know if it’s fixed yet?

just happened to me now, got the same “applying update” and now I’m banned for 20 hours. Blizzard for the love of god and all that is holy unban us and fix your game

1 Like

First, we are unable to remove suspensions or bans in competitive mode. Feedback on it can be given in our General Discussions forums.

For Applying Updates it can help to launch a Practice match, which can help.

2 Likes

Same happened to me. Twice in two days

So your solution is to just load into a practice match every time we launch the game, in case we’ve missed and update and might get hit by the bug? Not sure what I expected honestly…

What if we do a practice game and it’s fine but then it does it again later when we’re then joining a ranked. Do we just hope it doesn’t do it enough times we just get perma banned from ranked?

4 Likes

Same just happend here. First time this happend to me i thought this was just a one time thing only. It happend again and now i am suspended for 8 hours, wtf is this. Honestly. It also counts as a loss for my win/loss ratio. Great game! I just love this game and what it has become!!

1 Like

same here. im suspended for 8 hours :slightly_frowning_face: and ill probably get banned if it happens again.

1 Like

Same, I am now banned for the entire of season 4!??? After losing connection a few days ago and getting a 24 hour ban and now applying update and now I am banned for the whole of season 4!!

This is just insane!

1 Like

Complete BS, you guys unbanned people before when this same stuff happened.

Overwatch 2 Status Update - October 25, 2022

• Fixed an issue that resulted in players receiving competitive mode penalties for leaving matches when the game crashed during launch. We have reset the leaver penalties on affected players so they can play ranked again
2 Likes

I guess they just stopped giving a crap after that :confused:

1 Like

ok had the applying update happen to me for the second time and am now banned for 1 hour. this is complete bllsht since its your game that doesnt work and ur basicly not owning up to the mistakes on your end. fix your game! the comunity is "suffering due to blizzards mistakes for not fixing it in time. the first time it happened to me was i think a week ago or so and its still not fixed.

1 Like

yup, happened to me too. there goes my rank, not that I can even rank up because I’m stuck with a derank glitch that they haven’t fixed since February. So I guess its mostly sad for the people in the game with me.

1 Like

:arrow_lower_right:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/1327vec/comment/ji49op9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

:arrow_lower_right:

Continuing the discussion from Overwatch 2 Known Issues - April 28, 2023: