Overwatch 2 on Mac?

So apparently Bobby Kotick is thinking of using AI to assist with game development…

https://kotaku.com/call-duty-activision-blizzard-ai-chatgpt-guitar-hero-1850429574

I wonder if they could port Overwatch 2 to Mac that way?

He specifically mentions the Macintosh!

We’ve already seen the power of AI in other fields so it doesn’t seem unreasonable that it could be used for such a purpose…

Apple Silicon Macs also recently got native support for Unreal Engine…

We’ve also seen redesigned versions of some Overwatch maps in Unreal Engine 5…

We’re talking completely lone individuals doing this stuff on their own…

So imagine if there was an actual team working on this?

Would it even be that costly to port the game to Unreal Engine?

This would also make it easier to bring Overwatch to other platforms including mobile due to the more cross-platform nature of the engine…

2 Likes

Thinking of including ai in game development is not necessarily a good thing as it could very well lose people thousands of jobs in an already unstable work environment.

An ai can’t write it’s own code and more often than not ai artwork is meshed together and compiled out of already existing art. So if anything it could reliably only be used to supplement or to check over some bits of code.

Perhaps it could work or it won’t.

Most Devs are using AI to assist now though.

Unreal is literally has AI tech to develop levels. Others are using it to generate more varied dialogue in response to player actions.

It’ll almost certainly never be good enough to code and port to different platforms. It’s a mostly pointless exercise for OW as it’s on the platforms that’ll make it money. Going to Mac won’t do much for the numbers.

I don’t see it happening, market share for Mac seems to be too low to be worth the effort. No major companies still develop for Mac since people mostly use Windows or a console for gaming anyway.

2 Likes

You must have missed the release of Resident Evil Village and the upcoming release of No Man’s Sky and GRID Legends?

I don’t see this as an excuse not to release on Mac.

How much effort can it be to do a port when Crossover (a third party application) can already translate the game in real time to be compatible on Mac?

3 Likes

just a reminder, the game exists on NSW

No one missed them, but what numbers did they do. What’s the $$$ take.

Yes, but people use the Nintendo Switch for gaming.

My point is that no one buys a Mac with gaming in mind.

Just because “it works on Mac” doesn’t mean it warrants a port. The gaming audience on Mac is so extremely niche that I don’t see why Blizzard would bother even deploying it there.

3 Likes

This makes no sense… You do realize that there’s more Mac computers sold than there’s current gen xbox and playstation consoles combined right? The Mac player base is HUGE. I would play Overwatch on Mac if I could.

1 Like

This is also incorrect. LOTS of people buy Mac for gaming. In fact, Apple Arcade has 100 mil monthly subscribers. I bought a Mac Mini M1 with the only purpose to play Apple Arcade games.

1 Like

Quantify “lots”. I’m curious.

Apple makes a lot from gaming (3rd most, more than Microsoft in fact)., but its almost all from mobile.

Steam as an example. Less than 2% of their users are on Macs.

So if you’re already milking the mobile market, why would you care about the desktop marketing when so few people are invested in it.

If we take a look at the subreddit numbers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/

Over 100,000 so that’s a sizable amount of people interested in gaming on a Mac.

It might not be on the same level as consoles or mainstream gaming but it’s really starting to take off.

Just recently Tears of the Kingdom became playable.

Mac computers are great for Switch emulation thanks to sharing the same underlying processor architecture…

What you don’t understand is that they could develop for both Mac and mobile simultaneously because both use the same underlying chipset.

So it makes sense from a "development effort "point of view.

That doesn’t serve as very good evidence in light of the fact that most Mac gamers don’t have Steam installed in the first place.

Because most of the games right now are available elsewhere.

2 Likes

Well only official number we can get a source for is “100 million Apple Arcade subscriptions”. There’s no way for us to see the different devices. But, as an Apple Arcade player myself I can tell you that there’s many monthly games on arcade that you will not be able to play on a small iPhone. Some of these games are clearly meant to be played on a capable device like a Mac of either stationary or portable type.

Unless that can be broken down, it isn’t anything more than a click bait headline.

We already know they make more than most combined from mobile gaming.

If apple cared about it, they’d be paying publisher’s to port games. Publishers won’t do it unless there is good profits to be made, or they are being paid a substantial fee.

So that suggests either the profitability isn’t there, or apple aren’t interested in paying as there wouldn’t be a good return on that investment.

I think it’s more of a “skill issue” than anything else. I think Blizzard just don’t have the development resources for it… I mean, they just yesterday canceled the launch of OW2 PvE.

They’d have the resources. If the money was there. So that isn’t an issue.

Yeah the PvE news was a bit of a bummer. Would call it a cancel, more an underwhelming restructure of its launch.

The Dev team gets a lot of flack, when it really should be directed at upper management, press and marketing. All these issues could of been avoided or at least minimised with much better leadership and communication.

But plenty of people purchase Apple products for gaming.

The includes iPad and iPhone.

How is this relevant you may ask?

Check this out:

Are you aware that World of Warcraft is available on Mac and is fully ARM and Metal API native?

Blizzard seems to recognize that there is a potential market there.

The fact that many other Activision Blizzard titles are already available means that you already have a potential audience since many of these consumers already have the battle.net launcher installed on their Mac.

So you’d see a disproportionately high audience for Blizzard titles than you would for other games that are published outside of the battle.net store.

Recent developments in Apple hardware further justify doing a port.

2 Likes

WoW is an easier game for mac since the screen can be a bit lazier than a pc screen and i’m not talking about graphics here (most mac screens are not manufactured with gaming needs in mind and are more suited to working with still or slow images, unless there is a strain of gaming specific screens made that i’m not aware of)

It’s easier to upgrade a pc bit by bit for your needs as the needs come up, hardware and software both. One driver out of date? Bam, you’ve got it upgraded. It used to be that you couldn’t specifically upgrade just some driver on mac but had to update the entire operating system at once.

One could argue that gaming with a mac is a bit like gaming with a console, but not as likely as gaming on a console.

Disagree. I can’t imagine playing WoW on a laptop. I played OW on my laptop at work, and it works well, but I’m so used to 27 inch monitors and a better keyboard. (My laptop is not a proper gaming one, mainly work related one). Turning down the settings to very low on OW makes me not see much of a difference in comparison to WoW.

I meant the screens and how well they keep up with the action. Like i explained if you had read the entire message.

This is not about graphics. This is about the fact that mac screens handle still images better than quickly moving ones.
Mac screens have better color balance which makes them perfect for artists and photo editors, in fact i could argue that it’s difficult to find a pc screen that has as good a color balance.

Pc screens made for gaming keep up with action better. They update faster and stutter less.