Possible fix for RENDERING DEVICE LOST :)

Hey everyone

I have, like many of you, the famous rendering devise lost error. But, i found out that with the Nvidia driver from march 2018 (1060 gpu) i have no issues at all (in 1 year)…

Still i want to use the newest driver, but with every new update that i try,i get the error, so i go back immedeatly to the old and working one. But i found i fix that worked so far for a week now…

I’ve been looking at the windows logs when i got the error, and found that when the gpu isn’t responding, it gets reset. That is when you get the error.

On the link below (i can’t post whole links, so delete the spaces between it), you can see if you have a TdrDelay, TdrDdiDelay, folder in the register. If so, adjust the seconds there to at least 4… if the folders do not exist, creat them and set the seconds to 4 like:

• right click in the map and create new DWORD (32 bits)
  • give the right name to the folder, 1 folder for TdrDdiDelay, and 1 folder for TdrDelay (Use both small and big letters!)
  • Then select ‘decemal’ and give your value (at least 4, maybe it should be higher for you, but 4 works here)
  • then click ok.

I still see soms minor hickups in game, but in stead of kicking me out, it resets in time so i don’t get a rendering revice lost error!

htt ps:/ /docs.micros oft. com /en-us/windows-hardware/drive rs/display/tdr-registry-ke ys

htt ps:/ /docs.su bstance3d. com/spdoc /gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-1287 45489.ht ml
(with this link, 60 seconds is way to long, so i reccomend to do 4 )

It is worth a try, i hope it works for you!

1 Like

Just curious, but 9 days later, has this still helped or you back to rendering device losses? I’m curious cuz I’m so tired of loading the game up manually from a rewritten file and having to enter my authenticator every time.

Thanks for this. This season more than ever I’ve been getting game crashes with the “rendering device lost” error. I don’t know if it’s my GPU (1080ti FE) or the hot summer weather that’s contributing or bad drivers, but I’ll try changing drivers tonight for sure.

Everytime Overwatch crashes and I get the rendering device lost msg, I notice my 1080ti temps are close to 85-90c which is higher than any other game I play. Even new AAA games with better graphics than Overwatch don’t do this.

Jup, still no rendering device lost, for over 13 days :smiley:

At max i get 60, 62c when playing ow, but before this change i also got the rendering device error. Now i havent got it in almost 2 weeks :smiley:

take off ur overclocks

1 Like

Never used that… Its a problem with the nvidia drivers, because when i install the driver from march 2018, i have zero errors for months,. I install the new one and they appear within an day (but not with the solution i mentioned)

This one?

I’m going to give it a try tonight.

https:/ /www .msi .com /Graphics-card/support/GeForce-GTX-1060-ARM OR-3G-V1#down-d river&Win10%2064

(delete the spaces :frowning: sorry, it gives an error when i want to include a link)

this is the one i use (and also i have this gpu). I see there is a small difference in the version, but you can give it a try. I know whith some gpu’s it doesnt work to install the older driver, but you can Always try it :slight_smile: i hope it will help you!

Update: sept 15

Since i changed this… NO rendering device lost error :smiley:

1 Like

Hi! I have been having this same problem for a few months and I’ve recently stumbled upon your post. We have tried this before and but instead of TdrDdiDelay we added TdrLevel and I don’t really know if they’re compatible or if level even needs to be added

thanks for your suggestion, followed your steps, found out I’ve got a TdrDelay QWORD (64bit) here, should I delete it?

well I deleted the TdrDelay QWORD (64bit) and crashes as usual, only lasted 0.05 days.

I also managed to downgrade NVidia driver to 391.24, but still not working for me…

the quest of fixing this problem continues

Another thing that helped me with that Issue is to swap out the thermal paste on the gpu

I’m curious what brand of GPU everyone is using here. I heard from my friend who works in PC RMA department that this issue occurs on most of Zotac’s GPU and not other brands.

Using an XFX brand r9 390x and I used to get “rendering device lost” quite often, occasionally happens now, but no where near as frequently…

however every single time OW has an update, I have to “scan and repair” multiple times otherwise my FPS takes a nose dive into the toilet