Quick play matchmaking

oh i don’t doubt that, infact i wish there were more syms on my team just so i could mess with her TP more.

for example as winston dive close to the tp spot sym puts down and get a free tp out or tp in and leap out when the heat is on.

and playing meta vs meta can be fun, but i’d probably say it has more to do with who’s your teammates at that point.

as i say, any game can be entertaining with friends.

1 Like

I noticed something with the matchmaking yesterday, I got put as backfill to some ending matches that was clearly lost, so I left maybe three games in a row, the game I then got put in that wasn’t a backfill was with 4 players all lower than lvl 50, and I’m gold boarder. So my guess there is that the matchmaker didn’t have any proper data from me seeing as I had left three games without playing anything.

So saying it doesn’t work is wrong, it does work, not optimal though but it works. So the games you get with low levels are when you play poorly or the system doesn’t have proper data.

I get games with players my own lvl but that’s when I’ve played really good.

So in the end it’s on you and how well you performed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, this system sucks.

Getting rolled or rolling the other team because of new players is boring.

Just left one because a player was level 8 on our team and the enemy team was all 300+. No thanks.

1 Like

I noticed this too. It’s really rare that you’ll see them on the enemy team too. It happens, but they’ll usually be on your team or the enemies and never change.

It makes me wish for more avoid spaces.

LOL

1 Like

I totally agree on this, atleast make it to 5 instead of 3. It’s such a ridiculous low number and you easily fill those three places in less than five games.

2 Likes

Only thing is if you avoid 1 person, within a couple of days you will be far enough apart that you won’t see them again in most ranks.

People just forget to remove people from their avoid list and just leave it there for little reason.

Avoid slots only really seem to have an impact in the highest ranks where you see the same people all the time.

1 Like

I called you bootlicker because your solution to this problem was something I should fix instead of something blizzard has to fix.
I like to play this game for like 2-3 hours at random times and your solution would be that I always have 5 other people that play this game with me. You gave the responsibility to make a qp game enjoyable to me (the consumer) instead of blizzard. This is just plain wrong. I should be able to enjoy this game casually without players that have no idea what they’re doing (because they’re lvl 20) ruining my experience.
So there you have it. Bootlicker.

4 Likes

You can throw names around all you like.

You are just sounding like a entitled elitist wanting to ring fence your game from new players.

Well… if you keep getting match with players that play like they haven’t got a clue, it is because their MMR is currently in line with yours. Why shouldn’t they match people who according to the numbers seem to equally matched.

That tells me a couple of things…

Are you not understanding me?
I want new players to not get rolled because the enemy team is 500 lvls above them.

I don’t " keep getting match with players that play like they haven’t got a clue" every second game is like this, sometimes 2 games in a row then 1-2 ok games, then back to this bs.

You can defend the broken system all you want. I had a game today where my teams combined player level was 477 and the enemy teams level was 1350.
You can’t tell me that this is because of my “bad mmr”.

I take it that you don’t actually read my points and just brush over them because I am NOT complaining about being in low level games. I AM complaining about one team having an advantage because their players are way higher level. Be it on my team or the enemy team. I hate both. I can understand getting rolled because the enemy played better. I don’t understand every second game being a coinflip decided by which team has the higher level players.
I want to make sure you understand this. I am fine with having low level games as long as the teams are balanced. They aren’t balanced tho. You can’t use me (being lvl 287) as a balance for 2 enemies with silver borders when my team is < lvl 30. That’s not how it works.

2 Likes

I get that but account level is no indication of knowledge or skill.

If you are getting lots of new players playing like they haven’t got a clue, they are all matched based on MMR.

So they have been showing the same skill levels as the higher leveled players.

The match maker would have put 12 people with similar MMR together.

Yeah, it’s a bad system. BTW ignore the person spamming you, they usually talk passed everyone and ignore the points they’re making. They do the same thing in every thread.

2 Likes

And “yeah it’s a bad system” is helpful? Lol

At least I’ve explained a little of how it works, rather than spout “grrr bad” or “yay good”.

I think we all know how it works theoretically.
You sound like a white dude trying explain commonly known topics smh
League of Legends has a way better system in place. I’m getting people in the range of 80-400 and not players that have less hours than me on ball.

And yes, “yeah it’s a bad system” is helpful! It’s feedback. We aren’t programmers or game designers so we don’t exactly know how to fix it but we voice our dislike of the current system. All you do is “it works that way”… ye buddy pal… we know… the way it’s working is bad.

2 Likes

But it seems to be working fine.

You get matched with people with similar MMR.

I don’t know what your rank/skill/MMR is… But if you keep getting new players (enough to notice to the point you think it is an issue), then the system clearly thinks you are of similar skill to them.

So is the system doing wrong by matching similarly skilled players together? How is that bad? Do you have to segregate the game between new players, and higher level players that have similar skill level?

I’ve never said the system is doing good or bad. Personally I’d like to see the gap in MMR (SR for stacks) reduced, as in my head I think it would level the playing field a bit. But that will lead to massively increased que times, so I get why it isn’t really workable.

It also wouldn’t solve this issue. You’d still get match with similar MMR players. Just on a smaller level of swing.

Pretty sure you have no idea how the mmr works. Would you like me to explain the algorithm to you?

Also, all evidence suggests clearly new players are frequently in games with very good players. I see it all the time with the mmr in qp, because it’s an incredibly common result and it’s pretty obvious when you watch it happening. That is not how mmr is supposed to work and is specifically what mmr is designed to stop. If it did work that way then chess tournaments would have noobs playing against the best players in the world, which never happens because of how chess tournaments (where mmr was invented) use the algorithm. Overwatch uses the same algorithm but in a modified form and it seems with some tradeoffs for speed or connectivity against the default mmr algorithm are being used. Bad matchmaking by mmr clearly happens in this game, so either the mmr system/variant they use is terrible (probably true) or the playerbase is too small to balance properly (also probably true). However, since we as players have no idea which is true and how, then we don’t really have the power to accurately theorize other than to speculate on what is occurring using the readily available evidence of huge mmr mismatches in a standard 12-person game. That being said, we do have evidence suggesting that it’s likely that the game is just dead or their matchmaker development team is honestly pretty bad (I’m a developer, this is what I do).

1 Like

I completely agree.

I keep getting matched with brand new players who don’t have a clue what they’re doing, and the game is over in 3 minutes when I’ve queued for over 10.
It’s really frustrating.
They really need to sort out the match making because quick play just isn’t fun when you have a level 9 Ana on your team who runs blindly into the enemy Rein and doesn’t realise they are the support.
New players should be put with other new players.

I know how you feel… last night i was constantly put up against masters ranked people… im gold… now people say “Well this is to reduce wait times”

Estimated wait time? 1 minute (with priority pass) actual wait time? 15 minutes, only to be stuffed into a game with masters ranked players on the other team, and gold/silvers on mine

Yeah it’s just stupid… It cannot be that hard to fix this, however with the current broken fast-pass system, I don’t think it will ever help with queue times…

1 Like

They might have grouped with a bronze friend. So you’re a nice middle ground for them.

a masters ranked player paired with a bronze does not equal gold/silver players

that level of difference throws the match so far out of balance that it ruins the match because the bronze might drag their team down a little, but the masters player is entirely untouchable thus they still win regardless…

if a masters is paired with a bronze friend, they should be put into a match with other masters, not a middle of the road gold match