Really bad fps drops after update

I have a fairly good pc and I have been getting constant 144fps+ capped at 144hz for the past 10 seasons, on custom settings. Some drops here and there to 120fps. Ever since the new update after the first minute or so of launching the game I get an immense drop to 14-20 fps and crackling sound problems. I have tried the troubleshooting steps on the official guide and tried disabling any audio enhancer including the in-game Dolby setting. But to no avail, It has merely made the game go up to 40-50 fps at most. Specs down below.

i3 8100 3.60ghz
Gigabyte aorus 1060 6gb.
16gb 3000mhz ram
Kingston A400 SSD(game directory)
Seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm HDD(battle.net directory)

P.S: All drivers are updated.
Edit: After closing the game my system also seems to slow down dramatically.

Edit 2: I have resolved the problem either by luck or it just disappeared on its own. I have deleted the game from my C/ drive and installed a fresh one on my D/ drive, after getting all my settings set (the game still has the fps issues on D/) I moved it back to my C/ drive and the issue was resolved.

Edit 3: It seems the fix was temporary since I got the trouble back again after re-opening my pc.

10 Likes

I am having exactly the same issue, i have tried it all and it is still happening.
i run Scan and Repair and now cant launch the game. The scan runs and finishes but i then get this error code; BLZBNTAGT00000BB8
I have run the scan like 5 times, with the result being the same each time. The “play” button has now changed to “Update” but that just leads me to the same code above.

I have yet to uninstall and reinstall, but i would rather not do that.

Been playing for years!

Why the sudden FPS drops and latency spikes?!

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem, a week before the update my frames were fine but the moment the update went out my frames have been almost unplayable

3 Likes

Same issue here as well, I’ve had constant 144fps that very rarely drops below 100fps, and since the last update I’ve been getting lows of anywhere between 43 - 50fps, sometimes even dropping into 20’s.
My sound has been fine, my system has been more than capable of running the game prior to this.

1 Like

Perhaps we can offer some advice (and others can too!) if we knew a little more. Please upload your system files to pastebin.com and reply with the links to the files using the preformatted text option to encapsulate the links.

Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/B4USVssZ
MSInfo32: https://pastebin.com/i9cGmav9

Thank you XD!

Unfortunately this didn’t tell us a lot. Can you try again please, ensuing you use the EXPORT option as this saves entirely different information.

I know it can be tricky to tell which is which when your Windows is in a different language. Under File, you’ll have:

• Open…
  • Close…
  • Save…

• Export…

• Print…

• Exit

Use the one between Save and print, however it’s called in your language.

Please provide your MSINFO as shown here: Obtaining System Files - Blizzard Support
Upload it to https://pastebin.com/ then reply here with the link.
If you’re not comfortable posting your MSINFO on pastebin or on the forums, please use: Contact Support - Blizzard Support

Although I am sure I used the correct format to export my msinfo here is the new one: https://pastebin.com/RueRDJSC

meh, I’m also having the same problem. Only can play like a minute and then the fps will start dropping below 40 fps.

2 Likes

I’m glad that the issue was resolved for you XD. The MSI Gaming app may cause performance issues when out of date. Uninstalling or updating this should resolve the problem.

Uninstalling Hamachi VPN/Proxy, turning off the discord overlay, and windows game bar may also contribute to more stable performance.

I, too, am experiencing the same issue. Every 40-or-so seconds my game freezes up and shows about 3 frames over the course of 2 seconds and I cannot play. It then shoots right back up to 144hz. It does this consistently and I can reproduce the issue.

When it didn’t clear up for the Halloween patch I checked my graphics drivers. They needed an update, so I installed it and restarted. The issue persisted. I uninstalled Overwatch and the Battle.net app and deleted all associated files from the C drive, including the user appdata subfolders, restarted, and reinstalled the game. The issue persisted. I’m about ready to reinstall Windows to prove a point but I’ve got a number of friends with whom I play OW and they’ve been reporting “lag” more than usual. Lately I’ve noticed random teammates mentioning in the in-game chat that they’re experiencing “lag.”

4 Likes

i get this exact problem after every single update too. weirdly enough what used to work for me was updating my drivers, and then rolling them back, but after this most recent halloween update, that doesnt fix the problem and i still get terrible frames. i play on my laptop so i only get around 70-80 fps, but with this new update i havent been able to go any higher than 50fps, and will continuously drop to 30fps and below

Same issue here, and not able to submit a ticket…

Well, i also have constant fps problems lately, tried everything. resetting my system, tried prolly 10 different gpu drivers, reinstalled more than 5 times but nothing.
i start with my fps cap at 237 then i get latency spikes(the lightning bolt icon) and sometimes i get the 3 dots behind the fps counter for a couple seconds, then it drops down to 200 or even below that.
which sucks because the initial stutter is annoying as hell.
dxdiag https://pastebin.com/BFhaHm62

msinfo https://pastebin.com/DrP5GN4V

It’s in german though.

Same here after halloween update game is unplayable. Have huge fps drops on 80 or so while normally mid fights are around 130-170 and alone 200++. And is on every map not only halloween related ones. I checked my gpu with furmark no issue. Setuped new drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled overwatch nothing fixes it.
I play in EU btw

Hey,

I have the same issue. For the first few mins of the game (QP/Comp/DM) I get FPS drops making it unplayable almost as the PC needs to “warm up” ( even if my PC has been on for awhile) .
After a few mins, the game goes back to normal and runs fine?

Any suggestions Blizzard?

Yep exactly the same problem here. When starting the game and joining the first lobby, the first few minutes are a literal slideshow. Any skills being used by me or around me make it worse. Then after a few minutes it improves, sometimes it even goes away completely, sometimes it just gets stuck at 100fps instead of 200, and not a stable 100fps either, just a total mess. I though my pc was dying but I am glad it’s not just me :slight_smile:

Same thing here for years I’ve been playing on even ultra settings (I usually only do low) at a good 120-140 consistently no lag spikes no stuttering. but the last 2 months Its been unplayable. A lot of people in my friend group are having the same issue. One of them is actually a IT professional and he has a beast of a system. Yet he’s having the same issues. Does anyone have any answers for me on how to fix this? Edit: I’ve done everything on that page that gives you like 6 ways to fix stuff. none of them worked.

Hi, everybody i’m also having this problem hoping blizzard fix this issue soon, I had a blue screen earlier and had to finish my comp match dropping from 250 fps to 6. I personally go into a custom match before queuing as a work around i suggest you guys do the same :slight_smile:

1 Like