Really bad fps drops after update

This helped me a lot too thanks. Before my game was going down to 1 fps constantly. (btw you might not have to delete anything after you turn off shader cache.)

1 Like

Before doing what u said I had 40-50 fps, now sometimes I have fps drops to 10-20. I have a weak CPU so if someone else also has a weak CPU maybe its not recommended to do what Kian wrote.

I may have some good news for Nvidia users. After I installed Geforce Driver 460.79 no issue at the launch. And I thought maybe Blizzard fixed it. Today I installed latest driver which is 460.89 and lag is back. So I went back to 460.79 and everything is fine!

1 Like

yep same here the game has always worked fine for me but after the update the game just freezes constantly makes the first few games unplayable

my pc is mid-high end all drivers updated and everything iv even tried changing my setting to low but the game still drops to like 2fps

For me it happend after i updated my graphics driver on the 10th December.
Since then i have been getting 2-4 FPS when i first launch the game.

After 2-5min the game runs fine again .
I hope Blizzard will look into theis

Same issue here on AMD.
Here’s my DXdiag:
DxDiag - Pastebin.com
My general system specs are the following:
AMD Radeon R5 m300 with 1GB of VRam (integrated)
AMD A8-6410 APU Quad Core 2.0Ghz
8GB of RAM
It’s a laptop but i used to play OW in medium graphics back in launch day but with every update i have been forced to lower graphics and not even doing that i recover the smoothness…
Pls Blitz fix it!

I have the same problems, it was playing normally before the winter wonderland update, but now it stutters all the time, literally unplayable, i changed graphics and that doesn’t work either
My specs
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3 gb
16 GB RAM
75 HZ monitor

I have same issue everytime i launch the game and go to any gamemode my fps drops to 5fps than goes back to 150fps and than back to 5fps every time i use abilities or shoot someone, after a few minutes it gets normal.

4 Likes

I have this problem as well, it’s a problem with the loading system, here is an explanation:
Notes:

• RAM usage at all times haven’t exceed 9.8/16.0GB (61%).
  • I have a GTX1070, which runs the game at 200+ fps at all times with my current graphics settings, so it’s not a GPU issue.
  • The issue has started somewhen in the last two months.
  • These are not the so called regular “fps drops” due to high graphics, these are stucks, where the game just stops to load.
  • These issues are also shown in the menus

Here are some of what happened:
When loading new animations, the game stops for a load, even while in menus.
The main menu came up, “Endorsment level up” screen was shown, I couldn’t click on “ok” because my game frooze for about 5 seconds, after that the screen dissapeared,
and then Mei was shown in the background (along with the Play/Training/Hero Gallery and ect’), so the game stopped for loading Mei animations.

I then clicked “Play” and the animation, from play to the Quick Play / arcade / comp / etc…, was having FPS drops.
I then click Escape (to go back to the main menu) and Mei was again causing fps drops (body animation + hand).
After all of this, I entered the practice range to see how the FPS is doing.
Doomfist showed up as a hero to select, his animtion (that he does with his hand) were having fps drops.
I then clicked on Echo, same thing with her, her “body swing” animation were having fps drops, I then clicked on doomfist, I got fps drops and then I clicked on Echo, and she were not having FPS drops.

The game is acting like some sort of Cache, as in “you need to load the animation before we continue”.
I chose Echo, she was spawning and my game was having fps drops (while the “black screen” to the actual training area showed up).
I then first tried shooting normaly with her, I had fps drops for about 2 seconds while she was shooting.
After that I tried activating some of her Abiilites: I activted Sticky Bombs; I recived fps drops for about 2 seconds, same with her left-click.
After that; Flight - same thing, after that - Focusing Beam - same thing.
I then waited for all abillities cooldown, after that I tested them again, nothing had fps drops this time.

I then exited the practice range and started Quick play as Flex option, I had only some little amount of fps drops.
I picked a character (the animation - again, little to no fps drops at all for about 0.5 seconds, unlike before which was for about 2-5 seconds)
the game started (countdown of the game ended and we were in the plane that each time start in)
My game was again having no fps drops to little fps drops. (again, 0.5 seconds fps drops)
and then I played perfectly for about 10 minutes, without fps drops at all, solid 200+ fps.

The game ended and I got back to the main menu, Mei did an animation, she had 1 seconds fps drops, unlike before which was 2-5 seconds drops.
I started QP - Flex, and the game had no fps drops issues, not with the animation, not while in the plane and not when fighting other players.
Game was running smoothly, again; 200+ fps.

To summarize, there is some issue with the loading system, even after loading all stuff it will still stuck sometimes, which haven’t happened in the past.
Those are just loadings, not a CPU/GPU problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for your investigation, @Yorai1212. I have been trying to play the game every two weeks or so for months now and it has been stuttering in that time despite running flawlessly for two years before that on the same rig. Today I felt determined to troubleshoot in about 10 different ways and none of them worked. Meanwhile, any demanding game runs without stuttering on my rig.
Heres to hoping Blizzard fixes this soon.

2 Likes

Possible Solution Also I don’t know anything about AMD GPUs but I am assuming the process is the same you just need to identify where your specific Cache files are stored.****

Hey everyone, I have just experienced this issue and my symptoms were whenever I chose a new hero and did a new attack with that hero my game would freeze for a second almost as if it was not saving the information from previously using meis ice wall for example.

So I figured it was a Cache issue and googled low fps overwatch cache and found a reddit post that had this information.

Hi, I had a problem with my game install. My PC is perfectly capable of running the game, but for some reason the game was running extremely slow when it had just launched. It would be fine after a couple minutes, until a new asset was loaded in, like a hero using its abilities, then it would tank down to 2 - 10 fps. I found a solution but it wasn’t that well documented. So I wanted to make a post here to possibly help some people out.

The reason why the game is running so slow is because the shader cache is faulty. The solution is to delete this cache so it can be rebuild. You can follow the following steps to do this:

1. Exit Overwatch

2. You need to locate your NV_Cache folder. For me this was located in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\. If you have trouble finding yours, you can try a program like Everything or even Windows Search to find the folder for you. After I deleted this folder the game started and was running like new.

3. Some people suggested disabling that caching feature, I would not recommend this because this will increase CPU load. If you really want to disable this, it is done in the Nvidia control panel under 3D-Settings.

Credit goes to u/ElectroGamez for finding this solution.

4 Likes

Thanks for the above post. This fixed my problem. I’m not sure if that indicates an Overwatch problem or an Nvidia problem, but it worked 100%.

For the record I’m running i7-6700/32gb ram/ssd/2080ti. I’ve played for years on a GTX 1080 and now the 2080ti. It had been running beautifully until either an Nvidia or Overwatch patch a while ago (I dont know which) and it started doing as described above, game would be fine the just sort of freeze/studder/fps drop. This behavior occurred in the menus, shooting range and live games.

I had tried all sorts of things, like disabling my second monitor, disabling gsync, different resolutions, closing all unnecessary background programs, driver updates. Tested with other games all performed as intended.

After deleting the cache Overwatch is running fine again, so thanks unho1y-1793, much appreciated.

Hello! I am also having this issue. Every time I start the game it gets to as low as 15 fps but if I play half of a quick match it will go back to normal. I’ve unistalled the game and reinstalled it again but still no fix. Here are my PC specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16GB of RAM
RTX 2060
1 TB Samsung SSD (game)
1 TB HDD

I read that it could be your systems fan’s kicking in and that’s what’s slowing the game down, but I don’t know if that is the problem or not. I do run this game at 68-71 degrees and cap my frames at 200. I also have a 1440p 1440hz monitor.

I use AMD so does that mean I need to delete C:\ProgramData\AMD? it´s all I can see when I search there. inside the file, there is another called InstallUEP

I can confirm that I’ve been having this problem for a LONG time. I just deleted my shader cache files (as others have suggested), and the game ran buttery smooth without the 1 to 3 minute warmup I previously needed.

As others have noted, the problem seems to be that the game has to load each animation from scratch, and it stutters when it does so. My frames would drop from 120 to 8 or 4 when doing this.

My guess is something in the shader cache for the game was corrupt. I’d also recommend NOT turning of shader caching. Just clear it if the problem comes back instead–that way you’re not reducing performance in this (and other games) by making them more CPU bound.

I’m replying to this again to because now my game is fixed. I don’t know what I did to fix it. Some things I tried, also I have an Ryzen 5 3600.

Unistalled the game from my SSD onto a HDD back onto the SSD
Switched the games Render Scale from 100 to 75
Once it was at 75 I put it on the Render Scale, which for me was 120.
Also I play on all low settings.

Thank you that helped me so much. For the people who cant delete the folder because something is in use in it:
Just open the folder, select all files and delete them. It will delete everything what is not in use.

deleted: I don’t want offer further assistance to help this “company”

This worked like a CHARM!! If you’re nervous about deleting the whole folder, just delete its entire contents. Anything that says its in use and cant be deleted, you can just skip (for me it was a bunch of iCue stuff). Thanks for the find and share @unho1y

omg… thank you so much! you fixed my issue i had for months on Overwatch!

thanks for sharing the solution!