Whats meta? And why many players are stuborn at following the copy paste method?

Is meta a name given by people who have mastered their pick and tend to limit the choices of the gaming community?
For me meta doesnt mean nothing you can be “meta” with skills, right decisions, game awarness

This name shouldnt even exist in the first place, its ruining and limits the game and fun, and by following it also stops the variety of the situations you can meet

The characters who arent in “meta” should be deleted if you are believing the meta stuff

Just remplace “meta” with skills, right decisions and game awarness.

Dont you agree?

1 Like

He thats the problem, Overwatch wasn’t really like this before when they had balanced heroes. But as soon as they add Moira and brig it changed the whole game making it seem the only way to play and win is to copy or goats since there are too many hard counters in the game

1 Like

Meta stands for Most Effective Tactic Available. It’s created organically simply by what the players pick.

It’s just an indicator of what are the optimal characters for certain situations/maps.

No one forces you to play meta if you don’t want to.

2 Likes

Yes i agree about choosing the more optimised characters depending on a situation but if the players are not at the same level that the meta suggest why the stuborness?
Because many players and teamates told him so, so before getting remarks like :
“Man why did you pick “x” its not in the meta”
He chooses the meta pick but for me he is cornered and more worried about the fact if he gets the :
“why you didnt follow the meta? you will never go far bro thats for sure” .

But with all the stupid heroes their is no diversity in the game anymore. Healers like Moira can do as much dps as heals this will just lead to everyone going Moira and so the only way to counter that is goats, the only way to counter goats is goats and then it just leads to a cycle where the game is becoming repetitive

1 Like

Meta is simply most effective comp you can have because ať top every little advantage makes difference. And people are copy pasting it because its working.

2 Likes

So…
As a player (new or veteran)…
I check the meta do the meta and thats it?
If this is the case :

Where goes the variety?
Where goes the discovery of new means?
What about the fun?
What about the game?(Copy past? You call this gaming?)

1 Like

In lower ranks there is no meta and you even see some players like Fitzy playing offmeta characters like Sombra or ChipSa on Doomfist and they both get TOP 500.

Don’t listen to other people, play what you feel most comfortable with.

Reading your comments it feels like you’re more clueless about what’s actually meta or what counters what than anything else, no offense.

2 Likes

By thinking of the unballanced characters, wich i find pretty logic maybe we are close to something here :
The unbalance led players to find a solution and the solution sadly was the word"meta"
If the characters were balanced the term meta wouldnt even exist in the first place, if i understand it right.

By keeping looking for a solution to this unbalance problem, players found and had no other choice but to apply the most appropriate choice wich is called the “meta”.
And for me it is not an optimal solution it ruins the gaming experience more than anything else because once the idea is fixed it never leaves the players mind.

GOATS was only meta for pro players and really high ranked. Everyone bellow master just picked the same heroes, pressed W and mb1 and screamed “LEEEEEROOOY” and prayed they would win. And sometimes the did, but if you look at statistics on overbuff you can see Wich heroes are picked the most, and it’s not goats comp. Plat-diamond rein/zarya/genji/Ana is the meta, and have been for this season. Don’t know about lower ranks, but I’m guessing it’s the same.

1 Like

None taken in the contrary i apreciate very much your contribution to this thread.
The main idea is trying to understand why most players are so obssesed about the word “meta” once they know it.
I know about the counters, for me it mustnt be an automatic choice for every situation, you can wistand with your team any situation with characteristics i value more in gaming experience like skills decisions and awarness, not on a auto pick there is no charm in it.
And in many cases if anybody takes a moment and think about it.
Was it originally my choice? Or was i pushed to make this choice ?

It is just so stuck in everybodies mind, limiting theirs and others gaming experience. I just want to know why?

Before brig and moira you had the dive meta.
You always had a meta.

I see thank you, so there is more meta fans in higher elo.

For the low elo…mmmm they are not there yet they are missing some qualities to go higher and many are already talking about the meta or goat
instead of finding their own weekness and ways to improve by doing some research look for a tutorial, listening to some players experience and follow it in the selective and intelligent way depending on their gameplay…
No take the meta characters, what to do with it? How to do it? We do as they did in the video…
wait! look one of us is not taking the meta character because of him we are gonna loose:
-the guy switches
-defeat
-its ok bro you respected the meta (copy past) but their meta (copy past) was better :wink:
-(Say whaaa?) Thx mate :slight_smile:

What can be your advice for someone who doesnt follow the “meta” what do you consider him in the high elo?

Response : A heretic!!!

Just kidding but trembling at the same time if it still can be true

You’re overthinking it, some characters have counters, they can still play against them if they are good enough but they could be at a disadvantage, that’s all.

Usually it’s the right choice to pick to counter when a certain character is carrying their team.

1 Like

Meta = the best possible setup you can run.
It is found out by the pro players(or probably the coaches) and the top tier players.

So you cant replace it your self. The best setup will always be the best setup.

What is wrong with the meta is:

• There should be different meta’s for each map. (so not for 90% maps GOATS is best)
  • A meta should be close to the 2nd best setup, with in the 2nd setup at least 3 different heroes (so not goats with ana, or zen, or moira as main healer, but even if goats is best on a KOH map, then a group with an anti goats setup but a bit better players should be able to win)
1 Like

Goats also have a goats trinity. So 3 different versions:
Goats with ana , with zen and win moira. Each counters another so you kind of have rock, paper, scissors.

But i know what you mean :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes i have exactly the same idea.
And… yes you are right maybe i am overthiking it… because i hear the word meta each day… at least 1 time per day like in 10 matches … yeah you are probably right… i should stop overthinking about it and do my best as always for the team and if someone is talking about meta here meta there, in my case sadly i will ignore him but still i will give it all to win without a meta.
My gameplay experience doesnt consist on copy past but on using your brain, find a solution and adapt to the situation what ever it is to reach victory, some can call it the hard way instead of following the meta but this is how i play.
Thank you mate :blush:

The problem with goats is that you need to out dps the survivability of the goat players without getting overrun by them. 1 change would mean a healer or tank less as your opponent. Meaning your group will get overrun, even if you can do some damage.

Even if you find another setup and plan that can do this, you need to convince and teach your team how this is done… In solo q this will be almost impossible.
Until a team shows us how we can do this, so everyone can learn by watching them on youtube or it becomes so much played that most players will know what to do, we will stick with the same meta(GOATS).
Lets hope this next meta can get easily again be countered by another meta that again gets countered by x etc… And doesnt work on map Y

1 Like

I see …
But i dont want to consider overwatch like a pick a counter game…
Maybe its the case pro players and coach have objectivs thats are different from us and they find the best way to get to their objectivs.
Winning thats all that matter.
And yes its not false everybody wants to win who doesnt?
But maybe i have a wrong vision of overwatch.
Is overwatch consist on only a pick a counter strategy game?
If thats the case i was wrong since the start of my overwatch experience.
Do you think i should follow the meta be like the most players in overwatch? And just accept it?

A meta is the best possible setup and tactics. And should win against all other setups and tactics. Being able to run this tactics perfectly takes a well trained team.
So most teams in ranked will maybe run the same setup. But probably make lots of mistakes with the tactics. Because of this it isn’t meta any more, just a wanna be meta setup. And if you see such a weakness and know and can penalize them, you should defiantly try it.
For example you are a good widow main playing brig in a goat setup on defense.
The enemy group is also running goats and you can see their main healer (ana, or zen) always run to far behind the tanks when they closing the gap between groups. And you are sure you will be able to kill that main healer with your widow every time just before the brawl starts. Then just tell this your team and just do it.
The loss of their main healer before the fight starts, should make your team win the brawl fight without much problems. Even if your group runs a dps instead of an off healer or off tank.

1 Like