WHY is OW2 going 5v5/one tank

Can someone explain to me what the new setup of only 1 tank, and a total of 5 on the teams is going to make better/fix? We see the 5 setup in many other games, and it’s not really working either, so what are they actually trying to fix here?

I do not play competative, and I am fairly new to this game(I started playing roughly half a year ago). I only do Quickplay and Arcade(usually Mystery Heroes), so excuse my lack of ability to see the whole picture here.

I am sure this has been discussed within Blizzard and in the community a million times over(I caught on to this because I have been reading around and seen some Blizzard interviews). However, I REALLY do not get why they are going away from the 2-2-2 setup?

Yes, people don’t wanna play tank. I didn’t wanna play tank for a very long time because I was terrified of the name of the role. I saw this huuuuge responsibility planted in my face that I didn’t want. Then I started playing Mystery Heroes, and that way got forced to get familiar with the “tank” characters. That’s when I realized that they really didn’t feel that much different than dps(or support for that matter), and there being TWO on the quickplay teams made me feel less damaging to the team if I messed up, so after some rounds on Arcade I started queueing as flex on Quickplay. I have days where I play like a sack of potatoes, and other times where I feel I can pull my weight and more, but knowing there are TWO characters on the team that are labeled as “tanks” has a whole lot to do with the role feeling less intimidating and exhausting. I also feel like it gives more room for the entire team to make alternative strategies on the go if things feel staggered.

I just really like the setup of 2 tanks and 2 healers, and really wish that we would get a 7v7 setup instead, where the 7th slot would have been a 3rd. dps. To me that just makes more sense(as it would lower queue times for dps while still having a “tank team” and a “support team” within the full team), but what do I know as a casual dirtbag…

Besides, I am dreading the outcome of how the game will look when a tank is running back from dead. I used to think “wait until the devs are done creating the new setup/game”, but after having played Blizzard games for 15 years I have seen my fair share of failures where the outcome turns out completely different than the idea behind it especially in recent years. This makes me very worried this won’t fix anything, and perhaps make it a worse experience for me. And I might step out of the tank role, again. Maybe for the better, but I really cannot see it increasing the amount of players picking tank(but again… what do I know).

2 Likes

Because Blizzard’s gamedesigners don’t understand how to create balanced and interesting game design. Players in your game don’t want to play tanks. How to resolve the problem? Sure, just delete one tank role from the game. Creative & professional impotence.

3 Likes

“don’t understand”

What you mean is unable to. As the tank role is impossible to balance and just ends up at double shield… which no one wants.

Also, 5v5 is a more common match up, and is just them falling into line which should help more people understand what is going on when watching.

Will also make matches much more aggressive and fast paced. No more bunkering down like cowards. You will need to be proactive in matches.

They tried 7v7 (and many other options), but it didn’t work.

1 Like

this isn’t CS:GO, or CoD, its not meant to be a 0.01ms TTK with frags happening left and right

the respawn time is too long, the hitboxes are too generous, the abilitys to powerful and diverse, and the netcode is too garbage to handle that kind of frantic pace as is proved in OW1

1 Like

Maybe I am strange, but I feel most matches are fun the way the game is designed now. It gives room to change things around in a fun way(my opinion) if getting staggered, or bottlenecked, etc. It just feels like with 1 tank we’ll get more limited. Maybe I am playing this game totally wrong, but sometimes the stuff I do in QP to try losen a bottleneck works. That can be e.g. fly over and around on Dva where people can’t see me(to the point), and while the other tank and some others still fight at the bottleneck. Doing this forces the enemy team to split up, and it’s fun. I just don’t see how details like this is gonna work with just 5 people, and 1 tank. I mean, sure there will be a different playstyle, but I can’t see how it’s gonna be as fun. Only reason why I am lacking faith in this atm is that there has been a lot of failed ideas from Blizzard in recent years. In the past I would sit calmly and say “Wait and see, they’ll probably have a plan that will work out better, and we’ll all be happy for it in the end”. I have seriously lost that faith by now.

But yes, I play QP. I guess the synergy in competative is way different and maybe this is better for that mode, I dunno.

1 Like

I agree. The game is fun now.

But why can’t it be better.

Sure, there will be the cry babies that don’t like it. But I suspect the player numbers will increase massively to start with.

1 Like

it’s mostly on the insistance of having role qeue as a way to enforce matchmaking to work balance wise so it’s more of a balanced game in general.

but since role qeue makes the qeue times go up significantly since not a lot of players play certain roles, in other words tanks, and tanks have been a contentious role in the game in general in how they should balance them to be fun and useful at the same time.

i don’t know if you’ve noticed but tanks are probably the most tied down class in the game compared to other classes, you have to work very close with your other tank, also a lot of the games metas revolve around what tanks are “best” and so on and usually promotes a pressure to play certain tanks over others.

but anyways with 1 less tank they are hoping to alleviate a lot of these problems, like tank metas, like qeue times and the ability to play more independently from your team so you’re not as chained down in your actions.

however there are some worries aswell, that tanks won’t be able to handle the incoming damage or be able to do anything useful for the team as a single tank.

most of these worries comes from the fact that sometimes when players played role qeue when the other tank died early or wasn’t playing with the team the 1 tank player left wasn’t enough to handle to do what they were supposed to on their own.

but we really don’t know how it will work in practice since a lot of things will change, not only that but also giving each role a passive and so on.

but as i see it, this is sort of a hail mary to make the game more fun for everyone, otherwise the other solution would be go back to open qeue or remove tanks as a role all together.

This is true. In their current guise.

But if you listen to what Space said, tanks in OW2 feel more like big DPS. You need to get stuck in, not stand about and wait for others to do things.

Whether it is a hit or miss is to be seen… But the game needs a curve ball to mix things up. I am looking forward to it. To me, the game is more fun when it is played aggressively. Rush vs rush games are the most fun.

its not gonna be rush vs rush, its gonna be “Whoever has the best genji and/or tracer wins”

Lol.

It won’t, Genji is pretty weak now, doubt he’ll be much better.

Lol

it will, genji is as broken as he has ever been, without CC he will be unstoppable

hahahaha. Broken. Good one.

As always, if you think he is broken/op or whatever… why aren’t you playing him and abusing it.

1 Like

as always, i don’t rely on broken heros to artificially inflate my SR or stroke my ego

i want the win to be meaningful, not an award i get just for existing

Haha.

In other words he isn’t “broken” or your can’t play him.

no, there are no “Other words” he is broken, and i refuse to play broken heros

played him for 10 mintues, absolutely stomped the enemy with no contest, that isn’t fun for me, at all

If he was broken, the game wouldn’t function.

He isn’t overpowered, because if he was the T500 would be full of his face and would have been in every OWL game, like it was that month he genuinely was over tuned.

Do not believe that tale one bit.

yeah it would, as he is, and it does

don’t care what is and isn’t overpowered in the OWL and T500 they are the minority, for the majority he is overpowered, this is easy to see as he along with his brother are played everywhere on ladder diamond and below, where the majority play and where balance should take place

you wouldn’t believe an asteroid about to strike the earth if it was 1cm in front of you with a big sign on it that said “Im an asteroid about to hit you bro”

No because broken would imply game breaking. Which would mean the game would crash at least. Overpowered, or over tuned are more accurate and helpful ways to describe.

OWL and T500 players are playing the same game. If a hero is OP, they are OP for everyone. Just because a player doesn’t have the skill to utilise that, doesn’t mean the hero suddenly isn’t OP.

In short, Genji isn’t OP. You are just not very good at dealing with him. AllMight.

Well I would, as their would be proof, evidence and experts confirming it.

not in this context, learn to english

they are not, they are playing the game at an entirely different level, the heros and maps may be the same, but the game is not

he is, which is why he is played everywhere

no one in the middle and lower ranks is, because he is broken

no you wouldn’t as evidenced by your dismissal of all sorts of things with much evidence and “Experts” on this forum alone

anywho im done with you as you’re spouting the same nonsense as usual

genji is broken now and he will be worse in OW2, end of story