Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Hi everyone,
I am an old Protoss currently circulating between 3600 and 3850 MMR. I see a pattern in my ladder games which is intriguing. What I mean is that I seem to be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in terms of being able to win say 12 games in a row and then loose 15 games in a row. I would assess my play style as kinda standard and definitely not cheese-based so the long win/loose series can not be attributed to me being lucky with a cheese or not.

Such long series (or are they long?) can happen even during one day, although here the measurement is a bit skewed because I normally do not have enough time to play so long series.

My understanding of the MMR and match-making is that I am supposed to be matched with players of similar skill - consequently I should be around 50% win/loose rate and the series should not be too long (or more correctly, probability of long series is quite small).

Now, had it happened only once or twice then I would think that I just had a bad day but this seems to be a repeating pattern.

Has anybody here observed a similar thing? What could be the explanation?

/Huckey

Could be an timezone thing strange as it sounds.

From winning consecutive matches to losing them could be different people coming home and others going to bed, some people being more capable of handling your playstyles than others.

An other thing could be some sign of weariness, if it is consistent that you win matches and then lose afterwards it could be that you get mentally exhausted and lose focus enough to have economy/infrastructure delayed enough to losing to superior numbers.

I have the same experience, you win ten games in a row and then you lose ten games in a row. I think that SC does not really care what your MMR is, it looks at the MMR of your opponents. So when it realizes you can beat players of a certain MMR then it suddenly lets you play tougher opponents until you have lost a number of games etc.

1 Like

the season set up is notorious for a player with 4000+ mmr to create a new account and crash the lower leagues into a freeze. Season 448 connection does not suffer from season 1 scams. but if the blizzard creates virtuoso games in later seasons its a completely dead game.