Reverting a link between Battletag and old Battle.Net username

Hi,

When Reforged launched I was super stoked to be able to link my BattleTag with my old Battle.Net username in the client, because I had a rather embarrassing Battletag, and was mostly known online as my Battle.Net username. So I went ahead and linked the accounts, and this is where I screwed up.

By linking the accounts I am now stuck with one username on the American server, and one username on the European server. This causes a lot of issues when it comes to Custom Games and how loading codes work.

I’ve reached out to Blizzard through web tickets, and I get referred to article 000258365, where it says it isn’t possible for Customer Support to unlink said accounts. Any further inquiries land me with low-effort template responses that has nothing to do with my question at all.

I don’t work for Blizzard, and thus I really don’t know the systems behind it, but to me it seems like there’s absolutely no way that a change that is possible for a user to do one way isn’t possible to reverse systemically.

I’m not even asking for it to be unlinked really, I just want to change the display name back…

Can you friendly folk offer some advice on how to proceed? Or even better, can Blizzard read this?

It is odd, but the reason for this would be the US and EU old Battle.net Accounts were seperate entities, even though they used the same keys, so you had different usernames. Did you try linking your US Battle.net account to the Blizzard Account? It’s the only thing that might work (if you’ve not tried already), though you may get an “already linked” error.

It does sound like a Bug or something the developers need to look into, because the Battletag for the Blizzard account should be your name now, a post to the Bug Forum may also be a good idea.

Hi,

Yes, I did try the ol’ switcheroo and try linking both EU and US to the account in question, but the EU server doesn’t allow me to either way, so I’m stuck with having my proper Battletag name on EU, and just “Castroh” on US…

Is it supposed to show my Battletag even after linking though?

Castroh is your Battletag though, so it could be a display, when talking in chat with people through Battle.net you should only see Castroh as well.

Sorry for the late reply though, if you have some screenshots maybe of what you mean we can grasp what you’re talking about better visually?

It might though be a bug due to the merge and how it’s read from the account.