🎭 GD Chat Room

Excellent, welcome back Soul! We have missed you and your tales of horror and pictures of puppers.

Imgur

4 Likes

Baby Roscoe!

Imgur

4 Likes

Yea Barolo and Barbaresco can get really expensive, but for good reasons! It’s good to have them for some special event

1 Like

My father’s from Sondrio, I never tasted that though. I will definitely try it!

1 Like

Thats lower than national living wage no?

/cast Soul Swap
There, fixed :fox_face:

2 Likes

Morrisons is ÂŁ1.5 billion in debt. The living wage increase is the last thing they wanted. They will offset it by going ahead with their plan to slash pension contributions.

If Morrisons thought they’d get away with it (legally, they stopped caring what USDAW thinks a long time ago) they’d be paying everyone £10 an hour.

1 Like

Bunnies

Try it. Nino negri one is the best imho (but a little expensive).

1 Like

I got ÂŁ5 more per week in PiP too. Woo! :crazy_face:

Curious what an actual living wage would be these days, given everything is so ridiculously expensive. I liked how the news and government are cheering that the gas prices are going down, whilst the water and everything else is going to go up? :thinking:

Smh.

The calculation

• The UK Living Wage for outside of London is currently ÂŁ12.00 per hour.
  • The London Living Wage is currently ÂŁ13.15 per hour. This covers all boroughs in Greater London.

Yes but what is an -actual- minimum amount people need to live on? What’s the goal?
Although that’s gone up by at least £4 since I last worked in 2020.

ÂŁ12 x 37.5 x 52 =ÂŁ23,400 per year.

The “living wage” is one of capitalism’s great “phoney wars” to help convince people who I wouldnt call idiots more likely willfully ignorant, that their lives can be improved by a slight increase to their income but no one tells them about the offset of things taken from them to pay for it.

If we look at furlough during the pandemic its a prime example. Everyone was ecstatic to hear that they would be getting some form of income (the absolute debacle that was lockdowns are a separate argument) but not many people thought about how it was going to be paid for and no one wanted to hear that it would have to paid for.

I lived in the States during covid and I hot three “stimulus checks” that the US Government wanted me to spend on a car.

It went on bills. The vast majority of people’s checks went on bills.

So while the “living wage going up” sounds awesome on paper and Governments, regardless of who has the keys to No10 will happily tell us plebs “youre getting an extra 50p an hour!!”, your interest rates are going up, the price of your food is going up and your utility bills are going up.

For instance, water companies are about to drastically increase your water bills, while hoping everyone has forgotten that the same water companies lose millions each month in leaking pipes.

When they aren’t dumping raw sewage in the water.

2 Likes

Same with my lot - penny pinching [redacted] - USDAW is ok, but they get round it by other means (staff benefits etc)

Good to see ya back, we’ve missed the doggo pics

No, you’re not understanding me. I know what it -is- but what does it -need- to be? Your average Joe can’t really live well on that these days with inflation and everything being over priced. People unable to afford food, housing, heating, daycare, insurance, now even water. What is the actual number that people should be earning an hour to be in line with how much everything costs these days? I don’t expect you to have an answer though, it was more a rhetorical question.

There’s an article on the BBC that has companies saying they can’t actually afford it (independent ones anyway, most are probably lying), and they will have to shorten hours and let people go. That means decent employment will go down as well, so there’s no win. I have no idea how anyone is going to fix the economy.

Pictures of dogo and cat puppies are always sight for sore eyes :smile:

God ive been driving all day in Helsinki im exhausted, i could never live in any capital like this its too much hassle for me.

1 Like

When I hear the Government talk about the living wage I also remember the previous Conservative Governments normalising food banks and I get even angrier reading Conservative run councils having grand opening ceremonies for a new food bank opening while patting themselves on the back saying “we are helping the community” seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that the opening of a “new food bank” is an absolute shameful thing to happen in a so called well developed economy.

But we all know who is to blame.

1 Like