10.0 Wish List for Mage

With 9.1.5 on the horizon and then 9.2, I think we are all aware Shadowlands is most of the way through it’s development cycle.

Work has almost certainly already turned towards 10.0 and in advance of 10.0 being announced and the inevitable beta (which should be underway this time next year), I thought I’d put together a little wishlist of what I would like for Fire and Frost (I don’t play Arcane enough to have an opinion beyond I don’t really like it).

GENERAL

Keep Shifting Power in some form. The end of an expansion these days means giving up all the borrowed powers we had accumulated and Shadowlands is no different but some of what we had can be preserved. Of the four abilities, Shifting Power is by far the most fun and the one with the most potential. Sure it falls behind for some specs, but some tweaking could fix those issues.

Radiant Spark and Deathborne could be kept as well in some form, but I wouldn’t cry if they were removed, Radiant Spark would need some work to stop it munching Flurry for Frost. Mirrors of Torment is a horrible ability and I would prefer it to be tossed in the trash next to prismatic crystal. Such a clunky ability.

Please make Blizzard baseline. It’s a fun, iconic spell for Mages with some handy utility and limiting it to Frost only seems like a waste.

Remove Focus Magic. I get what you were trying to do, but it’s a dead talent. Nobody picks it. Please remove and create one that stands a chance.

Make the fade from invisiblity instant for fire and frost with a split second of immunity to ensure it goes off properly. The five second fade time is rife with bugs and often doesn’t complete.

FROST

Fold the Icy Propulsion conduit into Icy Veins baseline. If I was being honest I’d also say you should fold thermal void into Icy Veins baseline, as that creates an interesting cooldown dynamic wherein you try and keep Icy Veins going as long as possible.

Make Freezing Rain baseline for Frost or at least the part about blizzard being instant cast in Frost Orb. It would smooth out our aoe considerably.

Make Splitting Ice baseline. Please just do it, this talent is taken 100% of the time anyway. If you want to design Frost as a cleave spec, then this should be a foundational ability.

Remove Lonely Winter as a talent and implement a Hunter like system where it becomes a buff. If we have a pet out, we don’t have lonely winter but gain access to freeze. If we don’t have a pet out, we get the Lonely Winter buff.

FIRE

Make Flame On baseline. Similar to splitting ice above, this talent is so critical that it destroys choice, there is no other option on the tier. Flame on enormously smooths out Fire’s rotation and has done for years. Just make it baseline as we have been asking for for years now and be done with it.

Redesign Phoenix Flames or make ignite spread passively again. It still mystifies me how this went through. During Shadowlands beta you started off by making fire blast spread our ignites, a spell with a relatively short cooldown of 10 seconds (because everyone takes Flame On remember) and then you swithced it to Phoenix’s Flames, a spell with a 25 second recharge. The result is everyone only uses PF for Combustion or if they about to cap on recharges. The design has failed. Reduce PF recharge to 10 seconds to match fire blast but lower the damage proportionally or restore passive cleave and repurpose PF.

Have Combustion refill our charges of Phoenix Flames and Fire Blast. A quality of life request, but nothing is clunkier for the otherwise smooth fire than having to let perfectly good heating up procs go to waste because you need to preserve your charges for a smooth combustion. Just have combustion fill us right back up again so we can execute a good Combustion and not have to be annoyed at wasting procs in the lead up.

Lower the casting time of Flamestrike and merge flame patch in. A talent that is required to make a spell function properly should not be a talent at all and Flamestrike’s casting time is incredibly clunky.

That’s my wishlist for Mages QoL changes. I know a lot of them are making certain talents baseline, but one of the problems Mages face are that our talents are so static and they are static because certain choices aren’t choices at all, we have to take them. Make what should be baseline a core part of the class and then be creative in creating replacements. We’ve enough legendary abilities and conduits lying around to come up with some creative new talents.

2 Likes

Oh no. Wait for your cooldowns like everyone else.

Sounds great but we’d have an empty talent tree lol

Our talent trees offer no choice as so many talents are either needed to make spells actually work or are so fundamental to the class that not taking them gimps you.

I’d say they are in need of an overhaul myself.

If they take Shifting Power off of us, they’ll take Convoke off of you no problem.

As nice as it feels to have my fireblasts refreshed and the combust cooldown lowered, I do not really think we should keep this one. Reducing every single CD like this feels like a bit much, especially when you can for example interrupt something twice back to back using shifting+that CS reduction conduit. What I would like, however, is something that ‘tops up’ fireblasts on fire. We had that at the very start of Legion with Flame On, we had that with Mechagon bracers, we have it with Shifting now… and each time we lose that option, something is missing in the rotation’s overall flow.

I agree. That entire talent row feels wrong , fire hasn’t had choice in it since like… BoD, if I remember right?

Not sure what to think about this one. That would make the opening burst a little bit too strong in PvP, I think. Giving us the choice of double fireblast into pyro before you fully combust would prove difficult to balance around. I do get where you’re coming from with the idea, though.

I agree when it comes to baking in flamepatch which is sort of mandatory when you want to flamestrike for AoE, but lowering the cast time goes against the idea of the spell. Just like pyroblast, it is not meant to be hardcasted most of the time and you want to rely on hot streak to get it. I’m aware this is not how it works on m+ packs when you do not have CDs, but that is how it’s meant to work.

Also, if you lowered flamestrike cast, just spamcasting flamestrikes will do more damage than normal single target rotation outside of combust. That’d break the spec’s design.

This would be horrible in PVP dude. PvE isn’t everything and I pity people who limit their joy of the game to PVE only…

That would break almost every poly, right? I’ll admit I haven’t looked at the frost and arcane suggestions much since I play neither of those.

yeah… exactly. that’s nobody in pvp plays that talent. the guy just thinks of pve and sadlyt that’s what devs think about too…

Whaat if… they made splitting ice baseline and added some sort of talent that removes the cleave but increases the ST damage of ice lance in its place? Would that work for PvP frost mages, or is one of the other talents in that tier absolutely mandatory in arena?

I don’t care about Convoke as a Resto, and yes. I agree it shouldn’t be in the game in the first place, among many other bs’ that unfortunately still is.

people prefer comet storm in pvp. the ST buff would need to be significant ;p

Massively unreasonable damage buffs.

I think they should do something with the kyrian style of arcane; include it in some form in the future; it’s the most interesting iteration of the spec I’ve seen since I first played it seriously in cata.

It probably can not be included as-is because it’s awkward to cast arcane missiles without clearcasting, but even in that form it’s better than not having it as an option at all.

1 Like

Deep Freeze and Frost Bomb is my wish list

Keep radiant spark and arcane harmony for arcane, xoxo.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me, but for Fire I would love to have Living Bomb as a baseline ability, I love how it works and it would fit the rotation so well

Make GS and EB viable again.

In my opinion the most important change (only for fire) would be to give us some single dps talent in 6 row of talents. Flamepatch - amazing for m+, Living bomb - again AOE spell and not good at all. But conflagration - ???. This spell is so bad like rly i would rather take flame patch :smiley: :smiley:

I hope that blizzard will fix this in another expansion.

There’s defo room for buffs to conflag now, I understand why it was so weak with how ignite used to work but now our cleave is poor. They butchered living bomb too, used to love that spell.