Join the Fun of the Community Discords Program

Join the Fun of the Community Discords Program

Introduced on June 8, the Community Discords Program’s first group of community Discords have been going strong and are kicking off a variety of activities, giveaways, and more planned in the days ahead. There’s a little something for everyone and they’re just waiting for you to join in the fun.

View Full Article

Still the spy bot installed? How about no

7 Likes

Yup, they’ve even linked to their previous attempt (the link I have in this post) with the terms on it.

The Discord bot is referred to as “Clockwork Rocket” on there.

https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23935249/updated-8-june-introducing-the-community-discords-program

3 Likes

Come on, keep weekend posts to the weekends.

2 Likes

Thank you for updating the list of discords to steer clear of! Really appreciate the effort.

4 Likes

I am glad that some server owners find the risk/reward to be worth the leap of faith. I simply hope it doesn’t prove to be any cloak and dagger moves from blizzard’s side.

At least, as I remember, the worst of the “say something we don’t like, then we could club you to kingdom come… not saying we would, just that we could”, clauses.

So I am certainly hopeing it will prove to be start of something positive :dracthyr_uwu:

1 Like

What does it exactly do? And why is it considered a spybot?

Edit: googled blizzard discord spybot and found a article, oh dear. What does a program member have access to that makes it possible for them to damage the game?

The Earth Is Flat - So says Blizz Mwahahahaha

1 Like

That was community hysteria rather than anything real from Blizzard’s end.

I think it’s great to see some embrace the program. Once others see that it’s not this terrible plot to close down discords or punish people, we’ll see more join.

Oh girl, here we go again…

Blizzard used legal terms to reserve the right to punish communities if any members where to look at them the wrong way. You can’t shill this or sweep it under the rug as a non-issue!

6 Likes

They then took all of that out and provided explanations of what rocket bot actually did and would be doing in servers as part of the contract (Which is really not very much at all, just checking how often a few keywords are said in specific marked public channels). I commend the community for rightfully holding blizzard to account for an initially awful contract but the amendments made are very agreeable.

No it didn’t say that. Whilst I agree that it was all very legalese, the community twisted it into something it was not.

I do agree there was an uproar. I disagree it was unfounded. Yet, I do agree it became hysteric in the end as the narrative ran wild.

It stated the program partner could not speak ill or negative about blizzard AV, blizzard, blizzard AV partners, blizzard partners or anyone affiliated with blizzard entertainment. This shall last forever, under threat of all and any legal action that could be pursued. Main issue was, blizzard was not only protecting themselves against slander, it was all negative criticism. Basically, they tried to browbeat people down with threats and illigal contract structures (do know, it is legal to put them in, it is illigal in most of the world to enforce them).

Now, I understand you think it is legalese. That the courts/commoner wouldn’t for some reason read that contract and be “it says A and B, so A and B is stated”. Yet even the lawyers that got brought in agreed that it was what it meant. So… yeah.

Anyhow, let us leave this discussion in the past where it belongs. I know you are super blizzard-chill on this topic in particular, and will not bend on it. So it is what it is. I won’t comment on the past any further. I just get annoyed when someone with a greentext in particular comes and handwaves away a huge issue and the crux of the uproar.

That uproar was just.

That’s not quite what it said but I’m really not going to dredge that whole debate back up again.

I didn’t struggle to read it. I did understand that people felt overwhelmed by it.

They weren’t going to sue anyone. That again was a presumption.

I’d just like to people to judge it for what it is and not what it might have been had there not been intervention. It’s for sure disappointing and shouldn’t be ignored that it was necessary to revise it at all, but what was the point of us wanting them to revise it if we’re still going to shun it after they’ve done so?

That’s the problem with perception. It’s like Elon Musk saying he’s going to remove the ability to block, he can’t actually remove the feature it’s a requirement for it to be listed on both the apple store and play store. But word spread like wildfire that he’s removing it.

So far there are a small number of communities taking part. It may grow once people’s perceptions change.

1 Like

Because they did basically nothing to change the legal document?

2 Likes

The fact that your old thread died should have gotten you a pretty solid indicator what the community thinks of your “program”.

Ye good luck lol.

Not to mention they basically, again, want the community to do their jobs while wanting them to abide to their rules at the same time. And considering all their forums (their very own platform they never properly utilized in the first place) have absolute pee poor moderation this is just hilariously sad.

5 Likes

Thats actually exactly what it said.

I find that quite patronising, yo’re basically saying people who disagree with you may have been a bit overwhelmed (poor dears!).

If they weren’t going to sue anyone why did they try to get all communities to sign up to this with the threat there?
Given how litigious US companies are the the devastating damage that could be caused by “US titan with bored legal department vs. discord ran by gamer where a member said something mean about Blizzard” lawsuit why would anyone open themselves to that risk?

It’s an initiative that was stillborn because of Blizzard’s legal teams heavy handedness, tone deafness and the unwillingness of whoever proposed the initiative to stand up to them with common sense. It’s tainted with that and should be.

The approved list is laughable, 7 discords. One of which I realised I was a member of. I’ve left it. A small mostly petulant act of no consequence, but screw this initiative. Let it die and learn from it.

1 Like

yeah this is gonna be a hard pass for me, way too much drama around that discord and i’m not even in it, yet all i’ve heard is bad things about it, so nah thanks

Also Puny already defended this terrible idea back when it was posted the first time, so not a surprise they are doing it again

2 Likes