PvP Rating Adjustments

We’ve been monitoring player feedback on rating in PvP, and we will make some significant adjustments to inflation, beginning with a hotfix that is going live as soon as possible, to help alleviate concerns.

Going into Dragonflight Season 3, we took preemptive measures, with the goal of making a player’s PvP rating and progression feel as they would expect relative to previous seasons. The rating system, calculations, and rating gains throughout a season can be difficult to predict. They’re impacted by various factors, including player activity. We need to be cautious about making changes to MMR and rating, to best ensure that we’re not creating unwanted effects or trends that do more harm than good to the ladder overall.

MMR, rating, and associated rewards are topics that the team monitors and discusses frequently, and we’ll continue to do so in future seasons.

Suggestions that are offered here are generally in alignment with our internal discussions about what we might do in future seasons. For clarity, there is no cap to MMR, but the highest rating is a result of the combination of population trends and lack of inflation.
Thank you for your continued feedback and patience on this topic.

17 Likes

Funny you say that, because player activity is low because of low inflation.
When the answer to a question “why should i push now when it becomes easier later on” is “you shouldn’t” and the calculation results “well it’s not easier later on either”, then there you have basically told the player “you shouldn’t play at all”.

At this point you need to be quick and effective and not cautious. There’s probably nothing worse than low inflation resulting in player not playing. Everything else is secondary. Your main concern should be player activity.

Look at season 1 that allegedly got out of hands - players pushed like crazy, and so many ppl playing the “inflated” bracket. When there was no inflated bracket, there was no player pushing. That was result of caution. In what universe was that good decision?

14 Likes

Idk why everything has to be a science nowadays, like just make the game fun and playable for everyone. Atm you legit cant reach 2,1+ bc u play vs the sweatiest welfare humans alive, like i dont wanna play vs AWC players the whole evening after work.

18 Likes

I feel like this would only make sense, if the damage hadn’t been done already in the past, with SL S2 being the biggest offender in that regard. You gave people a taste of what it feels like to have a season inflate up to 3800cr and now it will forever be less fun to queue lower, even if the rank stays the same and the teams you meet did not change.

On top of that, a lot of people (if not most) find motivation in trying to break their records, but making it legit impossible to do so, doesn’t help with participation.

8 Likes

Rating means nothing to most players unless you add rewards casuals consider worth getting.

7 Likes

The waiting part is what bothers me for the most part, in a perfect world there is no inflation and rating has a more static part in game just like other competitive games.

I would also consider making pvp seasons shorter, perhaps like how it was in legion, but obviously make the inflation massively higher.

6 Likes

No more excuses from the clowns on here now. If you can’t get your Glads after they’ve caved in to your complaints, then it’s time to admit you’re awful at the game.

1 Like

i agree make 2 pvp seasons in a patch and give us another recolor of glad mount elite set and weapon illusion, and btw pls make good weapon illusions again shadowflame was good but we need glorious tyranny recolor asap but also make it 2400 in 2s and 3s not shuffle ^^ because dh in shuffle would already have it at this point and all they did for it is los’ing their healer behind 2 walls and pressing 2 buttons

have you ever considered that you might be taking this game a bit too seriously? imagine feeling above everyone else because you have better rating than them in wow ROFL
congrats you achieved everything in life

8 Likes

When are you going to increase healer incentives like you said exactly 1 year ago?

Every time Blizzard communicates with the pvp community it’s the same. “We are thinking”… “We are considering”… “We are planning”… and then months or even years go by and nothing changes.

5 Likes

Ah you’ve already got your excuses lined up. Being hardstuck and low rated on an OP spec is one thing but next is it going to come down to ‘I don’t care enough’?

Still waiting for you to show me the character you said you’re higher exp’d than me on btw.

1 Like

Hi Kaivax,

The game is supposed to function so the player get rewards gradually throughout the season while keeping the players for the entire season; making the season active.

I strongly advise against increasing MMR rating. If it were to happen the result will be a dead season with no arena participation. People will get their rewards quickly and quit PvP.

Also another thing I would like to add. The solo mode needs HEAVY nerf to MMR rating. You see players have 2.1k in solo yet they are 1.6k in 3v3. You see how much inflated solo has become compared to normal arena. And people get their rewards far more easier from solo since it is inflated.
It is very unfair to us players that only play 2s/3s.

I appreciate your attention to this matter.

And thank you for your understanding, Kaivax.
I wish you a good weekend.

1 Like

Go away troll

no one is playing the game that’s why they will change it once and for all.

3 Likes

Seems like I predicted your arena history. And you got a bit angry telling me to go away because I told the truth.

Good luck getting from 1.6k to 2.1k in 3v3 like you did in the Inflated PvE mode.

You are a nobody, my peak is twice your current cr.

1 Like

In a way I’m glad that they’re doing this as early as they are. Depending on the extent of the inflation, we’ll get to see whether my argument that giving everybody participation awards at the beginning just kills the season later on.

Should be static rating the entire season and at max inflate like 200 last month.

And it shouldn’t be participation award, but equally difficult to get at all times of the season.

2 Likes

But wouldn’t static rating need to account for levels of participation anyway? E.g. getting 1800 in SL S2 was a completely different thing to getting it in SL S4

While you are at it: LOCK certain specs that can’t be played on a season. Simply lock them so other specs have a chance. As people are abusing the most broken specs because of imbalance.

And for the record Mythic + created problems to class design in pvp

So does for alot of other games, it’s the lesser evil infact, something that cannot be achieved in the near future but could be experimented with perhaps with shorter seasons.

as for this in sl s2 and other inflated seasons people spam queued 300k 3v3 games for a month straight, the only season this ever actually happened was sl s1 i think and that was mostly a r1 cutoff issue.

2 Likes